Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What Guilty Pleasure Comics Do You Read?!

What comics do you consider to be a guilty pleasure? The ones that you know are bad but you read them anyway.

For me its probably the end of the early X-Force and the end of the New Mutants runs from the early 90s. Despite the terrible Rob Liefeld art and some of the dialogue I enjoy the books. Mostly because I had already liked the characters before he took over pencils. There was alot of good things the books had going plot wise. Stryfe unmasked, Domino replaced by an imposter, early Deadpool appearances, etc. Plus it leads into Greg Capullo's run which had the X-Cutioner's Song tie-in.

So I'm wondering what other comic books people think of as their guilty pleasure reading?
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Soul Gem Resident adam_warlock_2099's Avatar

Some people would say my love for Age of Apocalypse would qualify, but I stand that AoA is better than any 616 X-Men story save She Lies With Angels.

I started reading comics in the 90's, so again many people would call what I like to go back and read a guilty pleasure.

Nira X Cyberangel
    Ash
    Union
    Lady Death
    Force Works
    Blackwulf
    Death's Head II
    Backlash & Taboo's African Vacation
    Badrock
    Cyberfrog
    Primortials
    Technophage

and man where there crossovers out the azz ...

ohh Amalgam Comics ... that was good stuff ... combining Wolverine and Batman .. pure awesome.
    "To alcohol, the cause of and solution to all of life's problems." -- Homer Simpson
    "You get what everyone gets. You get a lifetime." -- Death (Sandman)

Hmmmm...I can't think of a comic book that I feel guilty for liking offhand.
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

Quote Originally Posted by adam_warlock_2099 View Post
    Some people would say my love for Age of Apocalypse would qualify, but I stand that AoA is better than any 616 X-Men story save She Lies With Angels.
    "If you can't say anything good about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

I recently came across a TPB of a mini-series from the early '90s, "Razor: Burn". I remember being a kid and buying the issues from my local comic shop, which they really shouldn't have sold me. There was nudity, a lot of blood and dismemberment, and one scene where a man gets burned alive. It was one of a slew of "bad girl" books from that time period, and the main character was a cross between Wolverine and the Crow (if they were a she, had no healing factor or supernatural abilities, and were a former heroin addict). Picked it up for the nostalgia factor, but not really readable.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	razorburn3.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	14.8 KB 
ID:	106949
    A Fool for the Foom

Black Dossier

and I think the art in Morning Glories kind of makes me feel that way, too

Rob Liefeld comics. Primarily Youngblood. Ahhhhhhh good times/
    My webcomic Updated weekly
    My BlogSTORM/Black Panther Sabotage
    BEBOP--"Roland = pinnacle of objectivity"

X-Men Legacy (NOW series). The book is pretty bad and I probably should drop it, but I just can't yet. I keep thinking I will, but then I read more.
    Marvel : Moon Knight, Savage Hulk (6/25), Original Sin (5/7)

DC : Aquaman, Aquaman & the Others

The Central Sca-rutinizer Pól Rua's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by finfangfool View Post
    I recently came across a TPB of a mini-series from the early '90s, "Razor: Burn". I remember being a kid and buying the issues from my local comic shop, which they really shouldn't have sold me. There was nudity, a lot of blood and dismemberment, and one scene where a man gets burned alive. It was one of a slew of "bad girl" books from that time period, and the main character was a cross between Wolverine and the Crow (if they were a she, had no healing factor or supernatural abilities, and were a former heroin addict). Picked it up for the nostalgia factor, but not really readable.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	razorburn3.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	14.8 KB 
ID:	106949
    Oddly enough, I think Eric Powell's first published art was in 'Razor' or a 'Razor' spin-off.
    "Loudly proclaiming that you are above childish things isn't a sign of maturity - it's proof of adolescence." - Schnitzy Pretzelpants

Co-host of The 'Mike & Pól Save The Universe' Comics podcast - check it out on www.mikeandpol.com

Nice. That was the only good thing to come out of the '90s comic boom, there was so much money pouring in from the collector market that the independent market was a lot stronger (even if it was mostly trash like Razor) and more people were able to get a foot in the door.
    A Fool for the Foom

insect of destiny fly on the wall's Avatar

In the eyes of the non-comic book reading majority, all comics would be considered a guilty pleasure.
    fly on the wall

"A watched pot never boils unless you have heat vision."

--Anonymous

Soul Gem Resident adam_warlock_2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Michael P View Post
    "To alcohol, the cause of and solution to all of life's problems." -- Homer Simpson
    "You get what everyone gets. You get a lifetime." -- Death (Sandman)

Quote Originally Posted by Ood Omega View Post
    What comics do you consider to be a guilty pleasure? The ones that you know are bad but you read them anyway.
    Mine would probably be the original Spider-Man Clone Saga. It was horribly padded, with extraneous characters (Judas Traveller and the Host, Scrier), contrived motivations, Character Derailment (the Jackal gets turned into a cross between the Joker and the High Evolutionary, which doesn't match his previous characterization), and pointless elements that go on long after people cared about them. The whole thing dragged on WAY too long because marketing insisted on milking it to death.

And yet, there are parts of it that aren't too bad. 'Web of Life/Web of Death' was all right. And of course Amazing Spider-Man #400's 'The Gift' was considered one of the more touching, moving Spider-Man stories of all time, until Bob Harras insisted that it be undone.

And then there are parts that are pretty goofy, such as the whole misconception of cyberspace as some sort of 'Matrix' realm (and this stuff took up most of Ben Reilly and Seward Trainer's story, and was also pretty pointless to the overall arc). It was silly then, and it's silly now.

But given a choice between reading the Clone Saga, or reading the 1998 'Gathering of Five/Final Chapter' and/or 'One More Day', I'll gladly choose the Clone Saga every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Lang View Post
    Mine would probably be the original Spider-Man Clone Saga. It was horribly padded, with extraneous characters (Judas Traveller and the Host, Scrier), contrived motivations, Character Derailment (the Jackal gets turned into a cross between the Joker and the High Evolutionary, which doesn't match his previous characterization), and pointless elements that go on long after people cared about them. The whole thing dragged on WAY too long because marketing insisted on milking it to death.

And yet, there are parts of it that aren't too bad. 'Web of Life/Web of Death' was all right. And of course Amazing Spider-Man #400's 'The Gift' was considered one of the more touching, moving Spider-Man stories of all time, until Bob Harras insisted that it be undone.

And then there are parts that are pretty goofy, such as the whole misconception of cyberspace as some sort of 'Matrix' realm (and this stuff took up most of Ben Reilly and Seward Trainer's story, and was also pretty pointless to the overall arc). It was silly then, and it's silly now.

But given a choice between reading the Clone Saga, or reading the 1998 'Gathering of Five/Final Chapter' and/or 'One More Day', I'll gladly choose the Clone Saga every time.
    technically it was the 2nd clone saga right? cuz the first is when Peter left Ben's body in the smoke stack. I ended up dropping this series in the middle when (I think it was) Ben Reilly & Kaine on the cover & it said 1,000 clones of Spider-Man. I'll have to go back and checkout the issues you recommend though
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Well, last year I stumbled across and picked up Jenna Jameson's Shadow Hunter from Virgin Comics.

Some would say that's a guilty pleasure, although frankly I've never felt guilty about liking any comic book I've read.
    PULL LIST: Ghostbusters, John Carpenter's Asylum, Magnus: Robot Fighter, The Shadow, Star Wars, Thief of Thieves, Velvet, Wild Blue Yonder