Default Walking Dead Key Issues?

Couple of Walking Dead questions...

Have been into the show since day 1, and have avoided the comics up until now lol. I figure things are far enough ahead to go ahead and jump in especially considering a few things I've picked up from the comics are totally different from the show.

The first issue is beyond out of my range right now, so I figured I'd start around #10 or so and go from there. I have a few books in the 30s and 40s now I got for Xmas; figure I'll pick up a TPB for the first few issues I can't afford. Before I start to buy anything I was wondering what the key issues are? I know 1st appearances of The Governor and Michone will be pricey and wondering which other ones I need to look out for? I've done a bit of browsing, but am trying to keep things spoiler free with the comics as I know they vary greatly from the series. Any info on the key's would be appreciated, please no "issue # death of" please lol.

2nd question would be about the comic series itself. While I plan on picking most of the books up I wondered where a good stopping point was so I won't get ahead of the show? Not even sure if that's possible from some of the comic vs show related things I've heard, but figured I'd ask.

issue 48 is the assumed end for this season. Its also one of the most important and biggest issues. Of course that all comes from the build up before it.
    Reading: The Walking Dead, Morning Glories, Saga, Batman, Hawkeye, The Wake, superman unchained, avengers AI, xmen
    LiamWUL Games Development

Key Issues: 1 to present.

But yeah, as Walsh06 mentioned 48 seems to be what will be the end of the current season.

Thanks for the responses. Yeah, I thought 48 would be a big issue but wasn't sure what happened after that so I'll take your advice and stop reading at 48. Going to the LCS later to see if they have any back issues, but I'm doubting it... have a lot of Dragonball stuff though

As for the "keys", 48 seems to be reasonable right now all things considered. Would the main two Tyrese books (1st & last) be a wise choice after 48 as far as getting them before they get to high goes? Big fan of the guy the cast to play him (The Wire) and I'm hoping they keep him around for awhile on the show. Also had my eye on 53, 46, and 63 as far as ones to pick up before they get out of my range. 61 is an obvious one as well I guess.

Why are you not getting them collected. You're going to end up with a ridicolous scattered story otherwise. And it's such a character drive story that missing point in a characters development would be bad. I read from the start (up to volume 16) and its been worth it.
    Reading: The Walking Dead, Morning Glories, Saga, Batman, Hawkeye, The Wake, superman unchained, avengers AI, xmen
    LiamWUL Games Development

I'm pretty sure he is looking at them in terms of collectibility. Otherwise he could just get the Compendium which collects #1-48 and goes for around $40.

Brandon's right, I am going off of collectibility as far as trying to get key issues before prices get any nuttier. I'd prefer to wait for things to cool down, but I've got a feeling it's going to be awhile so I'm trying to get what I can while I can afford it.

That being said, I've already put in an order for the first couple of TPB's to get me started as I can't afford those singles anyway. Was just going to get the first few, but will probably buy several now and start reading the regular single issues from 20 or so up. Thought about waiting to check prices during the show's summer break, but figure they may be higher after that depending on how the season ends. Plus I'm dying to see how different it is from the show.

I basically picked a horrible time to try to collect single issues of this series lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolhandlocke View Post
    I basically picked a horrible time to try to collect single issues of this series lol.
    You and me both. I've been a trade waiter from the start...then after Vol.13 switched to digital. But with a comic shop down the road I switched to floppies and decided to collect backwards, haha

Hard to tell you which are the "key issues" without spoilers! lol

i will try though

those are the "well known" keys that are known off the top of my head. there are other books to get, but saying why would be spoiling it.

i recommend you buy collections for reading purposes. Not sure what your budget is, but since you're grabbing some of the floppies, i would
    recommend you pick up the Hard Cover Collections from Amazon. Get Volume 1-8 (issues 1 - 96) then TPB #17 (97 - 102) then 103/104/105 and 106 (came out today)

as for addiction? yes, absolutely addicting ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Coolhandlocke View Post
    Brandon's right, I am going off of collectibility as far as trying to get key issues before prices get any nuttier. I'd prefer to wait for things to cool down, but I've got a feeling it's going to be awhile so I'm trying to get what I can while I can afford it.
    Well the two main collector issues that I can think of are 1 and 19. But I think they are currently near the highest prices that they will be. I actually think all of the earlier issues go for a decent amount.

For reasons besides of collectability, 38 and 75 stand out because they have back up stories that are not printed in the trades.
    Last edited by KingOfCups; 01-10-2013 at 01:23 AM.

READ IT ALL!

Collect what you want to collect... but read it all. And dont feel the need to stop at 48... SO MUCH is different between show and comic that one doesnt spoil the other.

As someone who watched the TV show without having read any of the comic, I've had a great time catching up through the compendiums and the latest TPB. I love how the comic and TV show differ from each other. It really makes both mediums worth experiencing. Now to wait for the next trade since reading it in trades seems like the best way for me.

Yeah, i bought the first trade and was hooked. I then got the compendium and all the trades until i caught up with the singles and have been keeping up ever since. The trades are better reading because you get a lot all at once. The singles just leave you wanting more.
    4 8 15 16 23 42