Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by nightrider View Post
    I had to make a snide comment at you. Thats what I had to do.
    I see. You had to be childish and rude. Whatever makes you happy, I guess.

Also, outsiders don't go out of their way to find a place in the society where they don't fit in. They function best when they meet a kindred spirit ergo X-men, doom patrol, outsiders and etc.
    The goal of a group of outsiders like the X-Men is ultimately acceptance by the majority culture. You cannot find acceptance if you refuse to engage with those people. Outsiders getting together with other outsiders only creates a larger group of outsiders.

Quote Originally Posted by Desaad View Post
    No, there was. It was Tomar-Re. He was working to save the planet, and would have, but fate intervened. Elliot S! Maggin wrote the story, and it was later picked up in GL proper by Wein and Gibbons, when Hal uses the technique Re was using to actually save a planet which was to explode like Krypton.
    Oh hey, I actually read this story recently, apparently they've started on collecting Wein and Gibbons' run and I found the first trade in my library.

Quote Originally Posted by misslane38 View Post
    I see. You had to be childish and rude. Whatever makes you happy, I guess.

Well, I'm sure that holier than thou attitude really got lots of people to like you here.

The goal of a group of outsiders like the X-Men is ultimately acceptance by the majority culture. You cannot find acceptance if you refuse to engage with those people. Outsiders getting together with other outsiders only creates a larger group of outsiders.
    Do you read X-men at all? Do you even know whats the status of mutants right now in marvel? Probably not or else you won't be saying the first part of the quote.
    Also, since when did Clark refuse to engage with non-outsiders. He is bunking with jimmy, he works with cat and he grew up amongst regular people in smallville. Oh, I see, you meant if you want to be accepted by the world, you need to date a non outsider. Can you see how warped and biased all your statements are with regards to Superman. It always "oh, hes only better if he stays with lois, lois is his anchor, lois this, lois that.". Which is probably why no one takes you seriously because your posts are not constructive and objective. Thats also why I mostly regard your posts as an angry shipper upset that your otp isn't happening for the foreseeable future.
    :D

Quote Originally Posted by LoneNecromancer View Post
    Oh hey, I actually read this story recently, apparently they've started on collecting Wein and Gibbons' run and I found the first trade in my library.
    Nice! Wein's run was quite short; started off interesting with a nice focus on Hal's character (I liked the bit where he makes the Will Power Machine work, despite the fact that it doesn't work!) but become really quite lame as it went on, with all the Predator and Demolition Crew stuff.

That was a very directionless era for Green Lantern, with Barr and Wein and a bunch of fill ins doing stories, biding time. There was a perceived inelasticity to the sales of the title; when it was bad, it sold a certain amount. When it was good, it sold the same amount. So they put very little effort.

Then Englehart took over the book, and he quickly doubled sales, then raised them further. I don't know what their collection plans are, but I hope they get to the Englehart run forthwith; some great stuff with Hal, John and Guy, some great big cosmic concepts (Mad God Sector 3600 being my favorite), and the introduction of fan favorites Kilowog and Ch'p! (if they do trade it, I suspect most will be absolutely SHOCKED at how different the Kilowog of today is from the original version).
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Desaad View Post
    Nice! Wein's run was quite short; started off interesting with a nice focus on Hal's character (I liked the bit where he makes the Will Power Machine work, despite the fact that it doesn't work!) but become really quite lame as it went on, with all the Predator and Demolition Crew stuff.
    Oh yeah, I quite liked that moment too. And yes, it did get onto that Predator/Demolition Crew stuff in the trade, so my thoughts on it was simply that the characterisation was pretty strong, with Hal doing some pretty cool things with the ring that you don't really see as much today, but the stories became increasingly less memorable and interesting.

I do also remember a couple Flash crossover issues in there, and since I was also reading the Showcase Trial of The Flash at the same time it sort of fit together.

Well, I'm sure that holier than thou attitude really got lots of people to like you here.
    If getting people to like me here can only happen if I act as immaturely and rudely as you did, then I'll pass. I don't care about being liked by the likes of such people.

Do you read X-men at all? Do you even know whats the status of mutants right now in marvel? Probably not or else you won't be saying the first part of the quote.
    No, I don't. But then, I believe it's a pretty solid hypothesis that regardless of the status of mutants at the moment, ideally they'd like to be accepted by the world. Since I imagine that's the primary source of conflict in that universe, obviously writers will throw a lot of obstacles in the path of that goal to make it more elusive and perpetuate drama.

Also, since when did Clark refuse to engage with non-outsiders. He is bunking with jimmy, he works with cat and he grew up amongst regular people in smallville. Oh, I see, you meant if you want to be accepted by the world, you need to date a non outsider. Can you see how warped and biased all your statements are with regards to Superman. It always "oh, hes only better if he stays with lois, lois is his anchor, lois this, lois that.". Which is probably why no one takes you seriously because your posts are not constructive and objective. Thats also why I mostly regard your posts as an angry shipper upset that your otp isn't happening for the foreseeable future.
    :D
    You're so very, very misguided. An outsider is still an outsider if he's on the outside looking in and not fully engaging in that which he or she is separate from because of differences. When I say he's still an outsider I am comparing his level of connection to the only other connection Clark has ever had with humans: his relationship with his parents. Until Clark can replicate the courage, love, and acceptance of the human Kents embracing their alien son out of hope and affection by doing the same with another human being--one with whom he can be open and honest with them about who he is just as he was with his parents--he will still be only superficially connected to humanity. As Johns and Lee said during their Superman and Wonder Woman PR blitz, these two are outsiders who are bonding over their estrangement from humanity. Those are their words. My guess it's you not me who has shipper blinders if you have yet to understand and continue to deny that very obvious fact.
    Last edited by misslane38; 01-10-2013 at 10:11 AM.

If getting people to like me here can only happen if I act as immaturely and rudely as you did, then I'll pass. I don't care about being liked by the likes of such people.

No, I don't. But then, I believe it's a pretty solid hypothesis that regardless of the status of mutants at the moment, ideally they'd like to be accepted by the world. Since I imagine that's the primary source of conflict in that universe, obviously writers will throw a lot of obstacles in the path of that goal to make it more elusive and perpetuate drama.

You're so very, very misguided. An outsider is still an outsider if he's on the outside looking in and not fully engaging in that which he or she is separate from because of differences. When I say he's still an outsider I am comparing his level of connection to the only other connection Clark has ever had with humans: his relationship with his parents. Until Clark can replicate the courage, love, and acceptance of the human Kents embracing their alien son out of hope and affection by doing the same with another human being--one with whom he can be open and honest with them about who he is just as he was with his parents--he will still be only superficially connected to humanity. As Johns and Lee said during their Superman and Wonder Woman PR blitz, these two are outsiders who are bonding over their estrangement from humanity. Those are their words. My guess it's you not me who has shipper blinders if you have yet to understand and continue to deny that very obvious fact.
    Are you saying that Clark has no ability to be courageous, loving and accepting of humans as of now?
    Because if that is, its a load of crap and I would like to respond no further to such accusations.

Are you saying that Clark has no ability to be courageous, loving and accepting of humans as of now?
    Because if that is, its a load of crap and I would like to respond no further to such accusations.
    No, I'm not saying that. I'm saying he has the ability to do it, but he doesn't yet have the will and courage to do it. Has he told a civilian/human his secret and created a loving bond with one of them as of now? No, he hasn't. If you call the truth crap, then there's no helping you.

Thumbs up for something bright and optimistic. Sure makes a difference from all the blood and death in the DCU.

No, I'm not saying that. I'm saying he has the ability to do it, but he doesn't yet have the will and courage to do it. Has he told a civilian/human his secret and created a loving bond with one of them as of now? No, he hasn't. If you call the truth crap, then there's no helping you.
    oh dear god. how does telling a civilian/human his secret and creating a loving bond with one of them equates to him being courageous, loving an accepting of humans? That is the lamest theory I have ever heard.
    Anyways I'll bite, his parents knows about him for one. He has been said to have Lana know his secret for two, even if its not shown yet, Lana has historically known his secret way before Lois knows it. Even in MOS the movie, it was said that Lana will come to know of his secret.
    Lastly and most importantly, He admitted to Mrs Nxyly even if she did found out about it first and at that point of time, the only thing he knew about her is that she is a human.
    That by no means signify that he can ONLY be courageous, loving and accepting of humans ONLY if he tells a human his secret identity.
    Thus, that is no way the truth and its just a sick and warped theory that you conjure up to back your statements that he has to tell a human his secret identity and create a loving bond with one of them.
    As far as I'm concerned, the minute he values every single human life as his own, the minute he put on that suit and cape to save lives, the minute he knew that he has the power to protect innocent human beings whom lives he value equally or more than himself, he is already courageous and loving and accepted human race. He grew up with his parents and he loved his parents so dearly even though they did not gave birth to him, they are everything to him.
    How dare you accuse Kal for your own agenda.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

It's called a SECRET identity for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    It's called a SECRET identity for a reason.
    If, as an alien, you always keep that side of yourself a secret from your human friends, then you can never have a deep connection with them. Jonathan and Martha Kent adopted, loved, and had faith in a child they always knew was different. There will always be a wall between Superman and humanity if he does not have the courage to share ALL of himself with the humans he cares about. Think about it: can you consider yourself truly close to someone if you do not believe they should know the deepest parts of you?

Quote Originally Posted by the Sun God View Post
    "WTH? Why Jor-El doesn't look like Russel Crowe? Why Lois Lane has black hairs? She has red hairs."
    I can see that happening.
    People aren't so dumb. Some are, but not all. These people, if they choose to come into the comic, will know that there are differences between adaptations. You really think people flipped out when they picked up "Knightfall" and saw a Bane who looked and acted almost nothing like the film version? Or opening up an X-Men book to find them wearing brightly colored costumes, with certain characters on different sides like Emma Frost.

Quote Originally Posted by nightrider
    Do you read X-men at all? Do you even know whats the status of mutants right now in marvel?
    What's going on now, is not the same as before and what it will be again. The general mission statement of Charles Xavier's dream is the peaceful co-existence between Mutants and non-Mutants.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mat001 View Post
    People aren't so dumb. Some are, but not all. These people, if they choose to come into the comic, will know that there are differences between adaptations. You really think people flipped out when they picked up "Knightfall" and saw a Bane who looked and acted almost nothing like the film version? Or opening up an X-Men book to find them wearing brightly colored costumes, with certain characters on different sides like Emma Frost.
    I thought he was being sarcastic/Reductio ad absurdum

Having an occasional urge to tell Lois his secret, but ultimately deciding it was more practical not to, is a part of the Superman ongoing narrative that I miss. There's value in having her in on it, but there's also value in having her out of the loop. I've enjoyed both, but since having her know his secret was the more recent main-canon story line, and that was the case for about 20 years, in this reboot enough time needs to be spent on having her in the dark.

It's actually a quibble I have with the DC animated movies right now.