Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Pipeline - Jan 8, 2013

Augie looks back at his reviews from 2012, and ahead with reviews for six of Image's releases this week. Plus, a trip around the web for news of French comics and unpublished works.

Full article here.

Every collected edition review link I click on takes me to the WatXM review.

Augie wrote "Stan Sakai might qualify with "Usagi Yojimbo," but I'm not sure how monthly that book has been over the years."

Stan Sakai has published 144 issues of Usagi Yojimbo through Dark Horse Comics from April 1996 through February 2012 (approximately sixteen years), all the while doing all the writing, drawing, lettering, and cover artwork himself, and he has averaged 9 issues a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Augie De Blieck
    It's a remarkable achievement in this day and age, and one that only Mark Bagley has achieved in the last decade that I can think of. (Next closest would be Ryan Ottley on "Invincible," though he's had some fill-in art along the way. Stan Sakai might qualify with "Usagi Yojimbo," but I'm not sure how monthly that book has been over the years.)
    That "in the last decade" is a weird way to word it, but if you mean artists who have done 100 issues of a comic in just the last 10 years, Fred Perry would qualify, as he's done 108 issues of Gold Digger (writing, penciling, inking, lettering, AND coloring).

Those Leifeld NM pages look really good!

Quote Originally Posted by Mesektet View Post
    Every collected edition review link I click on takes me to the WatXM review.
    The links are all different. I just hovered over them all to double-check. Maybe clear your browser's cache and try again?

-Augie

Usagi:

Ah, thanks for the clarification. I've read most of them in trades, but even then I haven't gotten up to 100 issues yet. Someday, I will. I'm getting closer with "Groo," at least...

Jason:

I just mean artists who've completed 100 issues in the last decade. Or two, really. I guess not too many people have done it, period. I probably didn't need the qualifier. Dave Sim would qualify, too, obviously. (Has "Cerebus" been done for a decade again?)

-Augie