Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Superior Spider-Man, #1 Advance Review

"Superior Spider-Man" #1 from Dan Slott and Ryan Stegman is a perfect jumping on point for anyone looking for a little arachnid action in a completely new, and yet still insanely fun, way.

Full article here.

Sounds interesting as expected for me. I know I can't wait until tomorrow for the issue.
    Pull: Avengers, New Avengers, Mighty Avengers, Captain America, Superior Spider-Man, Superior S.M.T.U, Ultimate Universe, Chew, Invincible, Batman & Smallville.

When I first saw this thread, I actually assumed it was one of the usual pre-emptive spoiler threads, especially since SSM #1 has leaked.

I'm a bit excited about seeing if the twist lines up with what I think it will be, but extremely nervous about that line in there about Otto and MJ for obvious reasons.

However, why not have someone who is more well versed in what's going on in the books review this? This dude seems too open to everything going on, when I'd rather read it from a reviewer who can tell us if the transition works and how long time readers may feel about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Raphael Edwards View Post
    I'm a bit excited about seeing if the twist lines up with what I think it will be, but extremely nervous about that line in there about Otto and MJ for obvious reasons.

However, why not have someone who is more well versed in what's going on in the books review this? This dude seems too open to everything going on, when I'd rather read it from a reviewer who can tell us if the transition works and how long time readers may feel about it.
    As the writer pointed out, h was not a regular reader of Amazing. As much as I love Amazing, there can be something daunting about coming into a series at #600+. There is still a collector-mentality that dominates comic fans in many other places. Marvel's reboots of Spidey have happened before, and usually resulted in good stuff--Remember The Gathering of Five and the Final Stand? Everything restarted with number ones and new status quos. This led to JMS' run, which other than the Gwen/Osborne arc was GOOD. It led to One More Day (Everyone Screamed) and Brand New Day (More screaming) and to Big Time to now., But as reviled as even the Clone Saga supposedly was, it still sells in trades today. I trust Dan's writing, and Marvel does as well, otherwise4, this temporary replacement wouldn't be happening. And it will be temporary, so everyone should just read on and relax and watch the fun.

I'm an optimist by nature, so yeah, I understand all of that, but your points didn't really have much to do with what I'm saying.

He has a more favorable view to those who are new to the series, but I'm (a long time reader) looking for someone who is more seasoned with the book to relate to.

Quote Originally Posted by Raphael Edwards View Post
    I'm an optimist by nature, so yeah, I understand all of that, but your points didn't really have much to do with what I'm saying.

He has a more favorable view to those who are new to the series, but I'm (a long time reader) looking for someone who is more seasoned with the book to relate to.
    Check out Newsarama's review http://www.newsarama.com/comics/best...der-man-1.html

He's a long time reader and made some interesting points about the art and pacing as well.

Cool. I'll check it out.

I dropped Spider Man from my pull list as soon as I finished issue #700. While I appreciate what Marvel tried to do, having Peter pass on his legacy of "with great power comes great responsibility..." to a villain now trying to reform, I have no interest in seeing Doc Ock running around in Peter's body. They may think they're doing something great with Doc Ock, but it's a complete violation of Peter's friends and family. Here's this man, a villain, running around as someone they love pretending to be that person. He knows their lives as Peter would, and as far as they know he is Peter. Just a differently acting Peter. Any good he potentially does is moot as far as I'm concerned because of this secret and how Ock came to get this second chance at life. Not to mention, even though Peter may have found peace (hopefully?) with what Doc Ock did as he was dying in Ock's body in #700, I don't think a single person in Peter's life would feel that way. Doc Ock should be locked up, not running around as Spidey with all the privileges that brings. At some point maybe Marvel will have Ock revealed, and maybe then I'll start reading again. Until then I don't care to follow a man being rewarded for killing another. Have him come clean and then try to live up to Peter's legacy.

My friend leaked superior issue 1 to me. Its now part of my pull box. Cannot wait, looks excellent!!

Quote Originally Posted by jjk1901 View Post
    I dropped Spider Man from my pull list as soon as I finished issue #700. While I appreciate what Marvel tried to do, having Peter pass on his legacy of "with great power comes great responsibility..." to a villain now trying to reform, I have no interest in seeing Doc Ock running around in Peter's body. They may think they're doing something great with Doc Ock, but it's a complete violation of Peter's friends and family. Here's this man, a villain, running around as someone they love pretending to be that person. He knows their lives as Peter would, and as far as they know he is Peter. Just a differently acting Peter. Any good he potentially does is moot as far as I'm concerned because of this secret and how Ock came to get this second chance at life. Not to mention, even though Peter may have found peace (hopefully?) with what Doc Ock did as he was dying in Ock's body in #700, I don't think a single person in Peter's life would feel that way. Doc Ock should be locked up, not running around as Spidey with all the privileges that brings. At some point maybe Marvel will have Ock revealed, and maybe then I'll start reading again. Until then I don't care to follow a man being rewarded for killing another. Have him come clean and then try to live up to Peter's legacy.
    As you wish--but really, all you're doing is robbing yourself.. Spider-Man is a beloved (by MANY) character. But he IS a fictional character that if rendered properly, generates darma. I prefer for myself only to look at this as a great victory for Peter til he returns--that he gets his worst enemy to take his place. And yeah, some issues are going to come up on day one regarding his family and friends--plus there's the teaser of FIRED coming up. But you know what would be worse than this? The SAME OLD BORING SPIDER-MAN. After 50 years, this may be refreshing. And Ock may NOT live up to it. I trust Slott to go forward--if that's not your cup of tea to read, ok. But don't pretend that this character is to be enshrined. We wouldn't have an excellent Sherlock series or a Matt Smith Dr Who if creative people were told "DON'T TOUCH!!" So the rest of will see.

Quote Originally Posted by ChordNohVarr View Post
    As you wish--but really, all you're doing is robbing yourself.. Spider-Man is a beloved (by MANY) character. But he IS a fictional character that if rendered properly, generates darma. I prefer for myself only to look at this as a great victory for Peter til he returns--that he gets his worst enemy to take his place. And yeah, some issues are going to come up on day one regarding his family and friends--plus there's the teaser of FIRED coming up. But you know what would be worse than this? The SAME OLD BORING SPIDER-MAN. After 50 years, this may be refreshing. And Ock may NOT live up to it. I trust Slott to go forward--if that's not your cup of tea to read, ok. But don't pretend that this character is to be enshrined. We wouldn't have an excellent Sherlock series or a Matt Smith Dr Who if creative people were told "DON'T TOUCH!!" So the rest of will see.
    I think you got this completely wrong. None of what you mentioned desecrates a character in the way this does. Furthermore, it conveys the concept that - you can do whatever you want, as long as you make up for it in the end. That's utter BS. This run is disgusting.

Spider-man is a character loved my millions - especially by children. As a long time reader, I'm horrified by the direction this is taking.

Quote Originally Posted by jayntampa View Post
    I think you got this completely wrong. None of what you mentioned desecrates a character in the way this does. Furthermore, it conveys the concept that - you can do whatever you want, as long as you make up for it in the end. That's utter BS. This run is disgusting.

Spider-man is a character loved my millions - especially by children. As a long time reader, I'm horrified by the direction this is taking.
    And all I'm saying is...it's a COMIC. Find something else to invest emotion in or stop reading--don't take these things too seriously--that way lies hypertension, HBP and some GOOD meds. But really--light a candle if you want, but take a breath--"HORRIFIED?" Really?

I love Spidey--he's my fave bar none--but I would be doing the character a disservice if I wanted him to remain as he was. But he's a comic character, bottom line. I may not like a story, but I'm hardly going to be 'Horrified" by one. Unless it's by Chuck Austen or brings back Gwen and Osborn's Son--YUCK.
    Last edited by ChordNohVarr; 01-08-2013 at 03:47 PM. Reason: added thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by ChordNohVarr View Post
    And all I'm saying is...it's a COMIC. Find something else to invest emotion in or stop reading--don't take these things too seriously--that way lies hypertension, HBP and some GOOD meds. But really--light a candle if you want, but take a breath--"HORRIFIED?" Really?

Ugh...Please for the sake of your argument going forward, don't utter the line of, "it's just a comic" or any variation. We all know what this is, and some are decidedly more passionate/dramatic about it than others, but telling them that only serves to rile them up and start an argument if anything.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by jjk1901 View Post

I've dropped Spider-Man from my pull list as well. Some readers may actually like this reboot but the premise for SSM does not entice me at all.

I've read ASM #700 and I can't say that I actually enjoyed it. In fact I was quite angry by the end of it. IMO, it's as farcical an idea as the ugly pseudo manga style artwork of a particular artist that has polluted the pages of ASM in recent years.

I have longed for ASM to be steered back towards a mature style of writing (not necessarily dark or gritty) but a no-nonsense approach with grounded in depth characterization, drama and action.

I feel the current creative team have really dumbed this title down. Slott's writing has become over-hyped and sensationalist, perhaps even aimed at a much younger demographic.

I won't be buying into the SSM cheap marketing gimmick.