Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    Yup. Plus----let's fact it----neither Spidey nor Wolverine contributed much at all for the 8 years that they were members of the Avengers. At all.
    Yeah, it seemed to be a purely marketing decision. I've read whole arcs of New Avengers where Spidey did literally nothing but hang around and make lame quips.
    Christ, do I have to do all the thinking for the entire fucking Internet? - Michael P

Quote Originally Posted by CyberHubbs View Post
    Enough for a jerk-off when they eventually crossover.

...Wait.
    There'll be web fluid EVERYWHERE!

Quote Originally Posted by Joecooler2u View Post
    Unlike Peter Parker's supporting cast who has no clue. MJ should have realized right away that Peter was acting Doc Ockish in ASM #700.
    Yeah, my one quibble so far is that Slott's overdoing it a bit with the "dolts" and "woman"s and such like and so forth.
    Christ, do I have to do all the thinking for the entire fucking Internet? - Michael P

Quote Originally Posted by theaccordance View Post
    Personally, I'm not going to speculate on the cause for the firing per say, but I wonder if this explains the panel in Avengers #2 where Iron Man says "We Have Money" to which Spider-Man responds "Oh, Thank God."

Gotta love not knowing exactly where story lines fit in the continuity as they unfold.
    You can tell by the costume. If it's the traditional costume, it's Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    It's not something he brags about, but Ock was able to fund his super-villainy because he can administer six colonoscopies at once.
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberHubbs View Post
    The maniacal laughter really unnerved his patients.
    The worst part is when he puts both hands on your shoulders while he's doing it.

Post Editing OCD Confuzzled Mutie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    Everything, yes, except MJ will fall in love with Superior because he will have changed into the man she wanted Peter to be and they get remarried again. Not because he is a winner, but because he is a loser, and that's what MJ likes best about Peter.
    Oh god. Horrible OOC fan fiction is horrible!

All these Kaine comparison's are starting to irritate me. Not because they're wrong, but because Scarlet Spider is an amazing book that already has this basic concept only better, and that book has been selling thousands less copies every month. Seriously kiddies. Buy Scarlet Spider. Must not let Marvel's best book get canceled.
    When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.-C.S.Lewis

Post Editing OCD Confuzzled Mutie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chaos View Post
    They can't get rid of MJ.

After all, if she was gone, who would be there to give repetitive boring pep talks to make Peter feel real good about himself while dodging the fact that she herself hasn't done anything remotely interesting in decades?
    To be fair, MJ went full swing into pep talk mode only after she helped save NYC in "Spider-Island" and began operating a booming nightclub in "No Turning Back". She is no longer at the mercy of the predators and unhealthy standards of the modelling/acting business to support herself, and after solving her family issues, she has become truly well-adjusted in life. I don't see how much more she is expected to do. Get involved in the superhero business herself? I am down with that!
    Last edited by Confuzzled Mutie; 01-09-2013 at 01:33 AM.

True Superior Spider-Man Kurolegacy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Xenon View Post
    All these Kaine comparison's are starting to irritate me. Not because they're wrong, but because Scarlet Spider is an amazing book that already has this basic concept only better, and that book has been selling thousands less copies every month. Seriously kiddies. Buy Scarlet Spider. Must not let Marvel's best book get canceled.
    Which really raises the question of why Marvel did this when A) They used Kaine over Ben in order to be able to have an edgier Scarlet Spider instead of one that was so similar to Spider-Man and B) They already had a book that was doing a similar concept and is doing it better. It's just redundant.

This is why I'm continuing to buy Scarlet Spider and dropped Spider-Man after 700. After all, if I'm gonna be reading an edgy Spider-Man, I might as well go with the one whose story is genuine and who doesn't disgust me to look at.
    Holding out for a Peter/Miles team up.

Quote Originally Posted by Joecooler2u View Post
    Count me among those momentarily excited. Ramos sucks. I might tolerate the title more if we saw more Stegman and no Ramos...

I see Humberto Ramos style as rushed and messy. Nothing personal, I'm sure he's a nice guy and all, but that pseudo manga style does not suit a super hero title. The anatomy is warped and cartoony. Stegman, Camuncoli and Caselli are better refined artists.

Unlike Peter Parker's supporting cast who has no clue. MJ should have realized right away that Peter was acting Doc Ockish in ASM #700. She might be flighty but she's not supposed to be an airhead....I thought Yost was right on in Avenging 15.1, Slott however would be fired in my book for awful characterization of Peter Parker's supporting cast in ASM #700. Not to mention even this whole Doc Ock as Spider-Man idea in the first place. I think Yost is going to run circles around Slott as long as Superior sticks around....

With all due respect to Dan Slott, I still think his writing has slowly degenerated towards a level of farcical immaturity. Yes I know comics are meant to be fun, but c'mon this latest plot device is simply childish. I have longed for ASM to be steered back towards a mature serious style of writing (not necessarily dark or gritty) but a no-nonsense approach with grounded in-depth characterization, drama and action plus Spidey's great sense of humor.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    Which really raises the question of why Marvel did this when A) They used Kaine over Ben in order to be able to have an edgier Scarlet Spider instead of one that was so similar to Spider-Man and B) They already had a book that was doing a similar concept and is doing it better. It's just redundant.

This is why I'm continuing to buy Scarlet Spider and dropped Spider-Man after 700. After all, if I'm gonna be reading an edgy Spider-Man, I might as well go with the one whose story is genuine and who doesn't disgust me to look at.
    To be fair, Superior has not been released yet, and AFAIK only the first issue has hit the 'net. It's not fair to say that Scarlet is doing the concept BETTER. It's fair to say that Scarlet Spider is amazing. It's fair to say that Scarlet Spider has a better concept and set-up (because if you want a Peter Parker who turned out differently because of a different situation, using Peter Parker who turned out different because he lived a different situation is kind of obvious), because that's already happened. But, regardless of what we may believe about Superior, since it hasn't come out yet, and Scarlet has had 13 issues worth of stuff, it's not really fair to say Scarlet is doing it better. At least not yet.

But everyone should buy Scarlet to make sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnetic Eye View Post
    With all due respect to Dan Slott, I still think his writing has slowly degenerated towards a level of farcical immaturity. Yes I know comics are meant to be fun, but c'mon this latest plot device is simply childish. I have longed for ASM to be steered back towards a mature serious style of writing (not necessarily dark or gritty) but a no-nonsense approach with grounded in-depth characterization, drama and action plus Spidey's great sense of humor.
    And to be fair in this situation, that Is a tall order. Not sure I agree with the no-nonsense thing either. I mean, "When Cometh the Commuter" was total nonsense, and ALSO had grounded characterization and Spidey's great sense of humor. Not a lot of drama I guess, but still.....
    When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.-C.S.Lewis

Fired, wow
    Only thing Ock is superior in is his ego

I missed a few pages, so is the new title real and Slott is out of the webhead duties? If so then tough luck
    Blogger

I am obsessed with the idea of completely erasing Spider-Man from every Marvel continuity

Quote Originally Posted by Xenon View Post
    To be fair, Superior has not been released yet, and AFAIK only the first issue has hit the 'net. It's not fair to say that Scarlet is doing the concept BETTER. It's fair to say that Scarlet Spider is amazing. It's fair to say that Scarlet Spider has a better concept and set-up (because if you want a Peter Parker who turned out differently because of a different situation, using Peter Parker who turned out different because he lived a different situation is kind of obvious), because that's already happened. But, regardless of what we may believe about Superior, since it hasn't come out yet, and Scarlet has had 13 issues worth of stuff, it's not really fair to say Scarlet is doing it better. At least not yet.

But everyone should buy Scarlet to make sure.
    Agree totally. I trust that if/when Yost does the rumoured Avenging cross-over he will do a great job of making the tone of Scarlet and SpOck unique - I really rate him as a comic book writer, in the same way as I would JMS and DeMatteis.

For the main title though, I have some concerns about the potential for overlap with Scarlet Spider. Both Scarlet Spider and Superior (or should it be SpOcktacular, sorry) will need to focus on their differences to stand out.

Location, supporting cast and types of stories will be crucial in making both lines unique and I guess the challenge for Marvel. The more mystical type of stories won't, just on a hunch suit SpOck as much as Scarlet Spider. Otto is a scientist and his stories could and should reflect that. Scarlet has an incredible amount of mileage in it, if Marvel are prepared to run with it and sales stay at an acceptable level.

My concern is if there isn't a clear differentiation a few issues down the line, and push comes to shove, which title will go. We are only one issue in of the SpOck run so it would all too easy to go straight into full-on internet panic mode.

Quote Originally Posted by One More Day View Post
    Looks like I was right. By the end of "Superior" Peter/Spidey will be a single, broke, unemployed loser (Otto will get him fired/blacklisted at Horizon and all SCIENCE! type of jobs.) He will be working freelance at the Daily Bugle again with JJJ back in charge (after resigning/fired as mayor). Aunt May will be a widow again after Jameson Sr. dies (Otto will have some role in that), and Spidey will be ostracized and mistrusted by the superhero community and general public once again. And MJ will never want to be near him again after the events of Superior. This way Spidey is brought back to the basics of yesteryear without a reboot.
    This is probably it. I never liked him on the Avengers but really? This shit again?

edit: Also you just gave a reason for them breaking up like fifty issues ago? Why would you do it again? If you want fans to let it go you can't keep bringing it up.
    Last edited by charlesthehammer; 01-09-2013 at 03:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chaos View Post
    I have the same facial expression as my avatar right now.

The sweet sweet scent of Ock-Man's impending glorious downfall.
    I couldn't have put it better...