Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Is Vertigo going away?

So, okay, I'm no Vertigo buff or anything like that, I pick up the occasional book when it looks interesting, but lately it seems that they are coming out with very little a lot of the series are either ending or are even being moved to DC ( I don't know if it's supposed to be same universe, like I said I'm no buff when it comes to Vertigo ) like the new Constantine ongoing come out in march. So anyways I would hate to see it go, and if anybody knows anything, just share, I'm very curious!

There's been rumors over the past few years and the departure of Karen Berger alarmed a lot of people, but it seems that Vertigo will be continuing (at least for a few years). Obviously, the shift to strictly creator-owned material has been going on for some time now, and I suspect in the future that Vertigo will encourage mini-series rather than ongoings (something we've seen with Jeff Lemire's and Scott Snyder's new books). 2013 actually seems like it's going to be a big year for Vertigo with Gaiman's return to Sandman, Quentin Tarrantino's adaptation of Django Unchained, and confirmed new series by Lemire and Snyder, plus hinted books by Grant Morrison, Jason Aaron, and Peter Milligan. I suspect we'll see something of a wave in the Spring with Collider coming out as well.

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    There's been rumors over the past few years and the departure of Karen Berger alarmed a lot of people, but it seems that Vertigo will be continuing (at least for a few years). Obviously, the shift to strictly creator-owned material has been going on for some time now, and I suspect in the future that Vertigo will encourage mini-series rather than ongoings (something we've seen with Jeff Lemire's and Scott Snyder's new books). 2013 actually seems like it's going to be a big year for Vertigo with Gaiman's return to Sandman, Quentin Tarrantino's adaptation of Django Unchained, and confirmed new series by Lemire and Snyder, plus hinted books by Grant Morrison, Jason Aaron, and Peter Milligan. I suspect we'll see something of a wave in the Spring with Collider coming out as well.
    Oh sweet, alright that clears stuff up for me! If their is actually going to be new books from the names you listed, that could be seriously awesome!

Lemire's new mini is a sci-fi book called Trillium, and Scott Snyder and the excellent Sean Murphy have a nautical-themed horror mini called Wake. You can read about them here:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=41858

Morrison, Milligan, and Aaron's respective books haven't been announced yet. All we have is all three of them saying that they have something in the works. It's presumed that Morrison's project will be Seaguy: Eternal, but Cam Stewart hasn't commented on whether that's the case.

Lemire's new mini is a sci-fi book called Trillium, and Scott Snyder and the excellent Sean Murphy have a nautical-themed horror mini called Wake. You can read about them here:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=41858

Morrison, Milligan, and Aaron's respective books haven't been announced yet. All we have is all three of them saying that they have something in the works. It's presumed that Morrison's project will be Seaguy: Eternal, but Cam Stewart hasn't commented on whether that's the case.
    Nice, nice those both look interesting... Well alright then, I feel pretty reassured about the hole thing now, I'll definetly keep a closeeye on Vertigo this year! Thanks for the info!

I'm not sure we'll see new book by Jason Aaron. He signed an exclusivity contract with Marvel some years ago. According to the contract, he was able to keep writing Scalped until it finished. And I'm pretty sure Marvel doesn't let him write more books for Vertigo/DC. But, hey, I could be wrong.
    As for Morrison, he'll probably release a new Seaman book, but I bet it will be his last Vertigo work. His newest work (Happy) is selling almost a 300% more copies than his latest Vertigo book (Joe the Barbarian). Yeah, a 300%, I'm not kidding.

Quote Originally Posted by Sissel View Post
    I'm not sure we'll see new book by Jason Aaron. He signed an exclusivity contract with Marvel some years ago. According to the contract, he was able to keep writing Scalped until it finished. And I'm pretty sure Marvel doesn't let him write more books for Vertigo/DC. But, hey, I could be wrong.
    As for Morrison, he'll probably release a new Seaman book, but I bet it will be his last Vertigo work. His newest work (Happy) is selling almost a 300% more copies than his latest Vertigo book (Joe the Barbarian). Yeah, a 300%, I'm not kidding.
    Aaron's Marvel exclusive does not exclude creator-owned work. It's a common clause in the Marvel Exclusive agreement. He's mentioned that he has a book that he's working on with Will Dennis, the guy who is responsible for getting him his break in comics.

I think Karen's departure will effect Morrison more strongly. That said, he's mentioned in the past that he doesn't like the business side of creator-ownership like hiring and paying colorists and letterers, etc, and that he took Happy to Image specifically because there were elements of violence against children/abuse in the story that he knew Karen would be uncomfortable with. (He also has a book in development with Legendary because he had been developing it with Bob Schreck before Schreck was let go from DC.) He does have a good relationship with Shelly Bond, so I wouldn't be surprised if he sticks with Vertigo. (Also, let's not ignore the fact that Darick Robertson is drawing Happy, and Darick has a sizable fanbase in his own rights-- certainly more than the relatively unknown Sean Murphy at the time of Joe the Barbarian-- and that Vertigo books tend to sell a lot more as collected editions than monthly comics.)
    Last edited by FanboyStranger; 01-08-2013 at 12:08 PM.

BANNED

Cameron Stewart was saying he thinks Seaguy won't happen with Karen leaving. But i think that was more knee-jerk than anything. We'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    Cameron Stewart was saying he thinks Seaguy won't happen with Karen leaving. But i think that was more knee-jerk than anything. We'll see.
    That seemed very off the cuff to me when Cam first posted it. It was also before the restructuring that promoted Shelly Bond when people were worried about what would happen next.

I get the sense that DC's going to do whatever it takes to keep Morrison happy.

Wow, really 300% more? I mean I am picking it up... but damn.

Well, to be fair, I don't believe we've seen the second issue's sales just yet, so we don't know what the drop off will be. Though it is certainly looking like a big success either way. And, oh man, they have to finish Seaguy. I know it was a horrible seller and everything....but just one more 3 issue mini to finish it; it's got to happen. I demand it, dammit

Aaron's Marvel exclusive does not exclude creator-owned work. It's a common clause in the Marvel Exclusive agreement. He's mentioned that he has a book that he's working on with Will Dennis, the guy who is responsible for getting him his break in comics.

I think Karen's departure will effect Morrison more strongly. That said, he's mentioned in the past that he doesn't like the business side of creator-ownership like hiring and paying colorists and letterers, etc, and that he took Happy to Image specifically because there were elements of violence against children/abuse in the story that he knew Karen would be uncomfortable with. (He also has a book in development with Legendary because he had been developing it with Bob Schreck before Schreck was let go from DC.) He does have a good relationship with Shelly Bond, so I wouldn't be surprised if he sticks with Vertigo. (Also, let's not ignore the fact that Darick Robertson is drawing Happy, and Darick has a sizable fanbase in his own rights-- certainly more than the relatively unknown Sean Murphy at the time of Joe the Barbarian-- and that Vertigo books tend to sell a lot more as collected editions than monthly comics.)
    It's true that Darick Robertson has a bigger fanbase than Sean Murphy, but when Joe the Barbarian was released, everybody was talking about Final Crisis and Morrison's Batman. Oh, and the first issue costed 1 dollar.However, I agree that there are a lot of readers who'll only buy Morrison's superhero stuff, which is sad.

And yes, you're right, collected editions sell more than monthly comics. Joe the Barbarian was probably a success. But we don't know what Morrison will do if the collected edition of Happy sells well. Will he leave Vertigo? I hope not. The imprint needs successful titles in order to show Warner executives that their comics can be profitable. Maybe someday it'll be again the home of new talents.

It's true that Darick Robertson has a bigger fanbase than Sean Murphy, but when Joe the Barbarian was released, everybody was talking about Final Crisis and Morrison's Batman. Oh, and the first issue costed 1 dollar.However, I agree that there are a lot of readers who'll only buy Morrison's superhero stuff, which is sad.

And yes, you're right, collected editions sell more than monthly comics. Joe the Barbarian was probably a success. But we don't know what Morrison will do if the collected edition of Happy sells well. Will he leave Vertigo? I hope not. The imprint needs successful titles in order to show Warner executives that their comics can be profitable. Maybe someday it'll be again the home of new talents.
    Let's hope so...

Quote Originally Posted by thebozo View Post
    Nice, nice those both look interesting... Well alright then, I feel pretty reassured about the hole thing now, I'll definetly keep a closeeye on Vertigo this year! Thanks for the info!
    American Vampire will be coming back in March too I believe.

Can't believe it will disappear in the next 12 months at least with Sandman coming out again every second month.
    "They can try, but no one's gonna care." Legendary Quote by MartinRedmond