View Poll Results: Which place best represent Superman?

Voters
46. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Fortress Of Solitude

22 47.83%
  • Kent Farm

17 36.96%
  • Metropolis Apartment

5 10.87%
  • I prefer a homeless Superman

2 4.35%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Fortress or Kent Farm?

In Superman (vol.2) #210-211, referring to his fortress, Superman says "This is me. This is... Superman". "It's full of fragments of worlds too fantastic to exist... and too magnificently stubborn not to. It's wonderful in the true sense of the word... everything here.. all of it... is part of me".
    In Superman II, Kal-El brings Lois to his Fortress and, before making a romantic dinner, Superman tells her how the kryptonian crystals showed him who he was and what he had to do. In a similar manner, in Justice League (vol.3) #14, Superman takes Diana/Wonder Woman to Smallville and shows her the Kent Farm and tells her how the place is relate to the reason he is Superman.

Which place do you prefer to reflect and represent Superman personality? In his shoes, where would you invite your closest friends? Where would you take your girlfriend for a romantic dinner?
    Last edited by the Sun God; 01-08-2013 at 09:58 AM.

All Roads Lead To Hell 666MasterOfPuppets's Avatar
    The Legendary Fortress Of Solitude, The Strangest Place On Earth

Crap. A tough call for me. Most likely, I wouldn't invite people to my Fortress, except for my girlfriend/wife and direct family.

My vote goes to The Fortress, though. It is true that it was there where he learned who he really is and what he had to do, even though he was raised in the Kent Farm. Besides, it his his secret place, where he goes to be alone and think about everything, and where memorabilia of all his incredible adventures are kept. Also, he can unleash the scientist in him in his lab.

EDIT: Welcome to the boards, BTW. Enjoy your time here.
    ... The Master Of Puppets has spoken.

Goodbye León (november 16th, 1993 - june 12th, 2009). You were, are and always will be the best friend I ever had. I will always love you and never forget you. And please, please forgive me.

Thank you for teaching me about love, patience and caring. Rest in Peace, my friend. I hope that wherever it is you are now, you can run and play as much as you want.

Quote Originally Posted by 666MasterOfPuppets View Post
    Welcome to the boards, BTW. Enjoy your time here.
    Thanks, bro.

I think that the place that best represents Superman for me is Smallville/Kent Farm but the Fortress is a much better place for Superman to take people. It seems more wonderful than the farm, more interesting. I think that the farm is where he grew up and what shaped his personality. I think that the fortress represents who he is genetically and what his heritage is.

Tough call, but since the question is "Which place best represents Superman?," I'd have to say the Fortress. The Kent Farm better represents Clark, which is where a lot of his values, as Clark and Superman, came from -- but for the sake of duality, Farm = Kent, Fortress = Superman.

He could invite his superfriends to the Kent farm, but they likely would not be in costume, and at the Fortress, it would be the opposite.
    Last edited by ABH-1979; 01-08-2013 at 06:54 AM.
    DC: Action Comics - Detective Comics - Batman and... - Batman - Justice League
    Marvel: All-New X-Factor

Welcome to the board!

I went with the Fortress. The Kent Farm, to me, represents where Superman came from and why he decided to help people. The Fortress represents what Superman currently is. The Fortress is where Superman can explore both sides of his heritage and just be himself. He can share that with anyone he likes and not have to worry about a dual identity. The Fortress, to me, represents what Superman has truly become and what he chooses to do with his life as Superman. He's free to explore whatever he likes and just be him. No hiding. He can keep current with events on Earth while exploring the endless infinity of space and other dimensions.

The Kent Farm, probably because I am a bronze age reader/70s child, means Superboy to me. (though so does the Legion Clubhouse)

Superman has the Fortress!

Quote Originally Posted by Namtab View Post
    He could invite his superfriends to the Kent farm, but they likely would not be in costume, and at the Fortress, it would be the opposite.
    Other than Bruce (and maybe J'onn and Diana), I don't think any of the others have ever been there and not been in costume (in an established continuity, not an Elseworlds). When they had a meeting in the farm pre-Nu52 (this is way back during Morrison's run on the JLA), they were costumed. There was Batman, in the kitchen, eating an apple...

heh

I think it's mostly counterproductive to call the place a Fortress of "Solitude" if you regularly invite people to visit. A couple of times, sure, but not regularly.

But as for what "represents Superman" the best, definitely the Fortress. Even though most heroes have some sort of base of operations, Superman's still feels kind of unique, based on location, content inside, and function. It represents his life's work.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote2010 View Post
    The Kent Farm, probably because I am a bronze age reader/70s child, means Superboy to me. (though so does the Legion Clubhouse)

Superman has the Fortress!
    At the time, Superboy had a laboratory and a trophy room in the the Kent's basement. It was his proto-fortress.

What about the old tree-house?

Quote Originally Posted by adkal View Post
    Other than Bruce (and maybe J'onn and Diana), I don't think any of the others have ever been there and not been in costume (in an established continuity, not an Elseworlds). When they had a meeting in the farm pre-Nu52 (this is way back during Morrison's run on the JLA), they were costumed. There was Batman, in the kitchen, eating an apple...

heh
    Heh, I don't remember that at all. Do you happen to know what issue/story that was?

In any event, there must have been some sort of telepathic cloak by MM, or some kind of assurance that no one would see them. Otherwise, it seems like a poor decision on Clark's part.
    DC: Action Comics - Detective Comics - Batman and... - Batman - Justice League
    Marvel: All-New X-Factor

Quote Originally Posted by adkal View Post
    What about the old tree-house?
    New52 superman would say: "Tree-houses are for sissies".

Quote Originally Posted by Namtab View Post
    Heh, I don't remember that at all. Do you happen to know what issue/story that was?

In any event, there must have been some sort of telepathic cloak by MM, or some kind of assurance that no one would see them. Otherwise, it seems like a poor decision on Clark's part.
    It was during the Electro-Supes period, if I recall correctly. Jonathan and Martha were present, too, and it was night time. There was a 'complaint' about Batman being late but Arthur said that he was in the kitchen and that it seems that sometimes he (Batman) forgets that he (Aquaman) can see through the darkness at the depths of the ocean. Batman replied along the lines of 'hnh, yeah, I forgot. That sounds about right' (paraphrase, sorry, it's been a while).

The meeting was, I think, to decide on new recruits to the League, and the Watchtower was undergoing repairs at the time, I think.

The farm is 'in the middle of nowhere', so it's pretty safe from prying eyes - I think Arthur was a little uncomfortable at being so far from the ocean, but don't quote me on that.

Sorry I can't be more specific than that right now.
    Last edited by adkal; 01-08-2013 at 08:30 AM.

I voted for the Kent farm because I believe it would represent more ages of Superman than the Fortress.