Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Senior Member McFarlane's Green Hulk's Avatar

I bought all the Jim Lee X-Men #1's back in the day. If I remember right, you had to get the regular edition covers in order to get the gatefold edition. That's one book I don't ever regret getting "suckered" on during the Speculator craze. I enjoyed those first 3 issues very much.
    I've got multiple copies of Incredible Hulk #393 & 400; mainly due to lot purchases on eBay.
    Come to think of it, I've got multiple copies of hundreds of Hulk books -- from the Len Wein run thru the first half of the Peter David run. (Again, comic lots from eBay...I'm in a very long process of replacing my battered copies with fine to near-mint copies.)

People Think I'm a Goob! PCPaperbacks's Avatar

I found deal when Spawn #200 came out, if you bought 4 variant covers at cover price, the other two free.

On the flip side, I read a post a few years ago of a collector who would always purchase Bloodshot #1 from $1-$0.25 bins... they had some ridiculous number of like over 60 copies of this comic
    TANSTAAFL - Robert Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by PCPaperbacks View Post
    I found deal when Spawn #200 came out, if you bought 4 variant covers at cover price, the other two free.

On the flip side, I read a post a few years ago of a collector who would always purchase Bloodshot #1 from $1-$0.25 bins... they had some ridiculous number of like over 60 copies of this comic
    I guess it's better than a giant ball of twine, but I don't see the point in either one.
    One lab accident away from being a super-villain

Kicking the hornet's nest Jezebel Bond's Avatar

Well I guess I'll make even more enemies with this post, but here goes...

Yes, I buy multiple copies of certain books...at one point I had 23 of these

They cost me $12 each and have been selling on eBay for anywhere around 10x as that and as high as $380. I've sold 7 copies for over $1,000 so far.

I'm sure many of you consider this a 'commodity' oriented aspect of comics that is frowned upon, because comics are meant to be read, and must never be sold for big money.

Before you tear me a new asshole, here's one reason why I don't mind a bit of speculating and capitalising of very fluid books when I can.

Simply put, I try to let my comics pay for themselves...without really having to touch my other income. I do have a well paying job but I digress....

I like back issues. Acquiring these books in 'like new' condition does not come cheap. My Spidey #14 cost me over $800. I subsidise my costs by flipping books when I can and making a profit. I started to buy and sell comics when my first major buy, Ultimate Spider-Man #1 came with a price tag of $56. (I made over $2000 selling a heap of #5s).

I also don't mind picking up duplicate copies of books on eBay or anywhere else when I get them in a good deal....
    1 Kings 21:23

And of Jezebel also spake the LORD, saying, The dogs shall eat Jezebel by the wall of Jezreel.

Quote Originally Posted by Jezebel Bond View Post
    Well I guess I'll make even more enemies with this post, but here goes...

Yes, I buy multiple copies of certain books...at one point I had 23 of these

They cost me $12 each and have been selling on eBay for anywhere around 10x as that and as high as $380. I've sold 7 copies for over $1,000 so far.

I'm sure many of you consider this a 'commodity' oriented aspect of comics that is frowned upon, because comics are meant to be read, and must never be sold for big money.

Before you tear me a new asshole, here's one reason why I don't mind a bit of speculating and capitalising of very fluid books when I can.

Simply put, I try to let my comics pay for themselves...without really having to touch my other income. I do have a well paying job but I digress....

I like back issues. Acquiring these books in 'like new' condition does not come cheap. My Spidey #14 cost me over $800. I subsidise my costs by flipping books when I can and making a profit. I started to buy and sell comics when my first major buy, Ultimate Spider-Man #1 came with a price tag of $56. (I made over $2000 selling a heap of #5s).

I also don't mind picking up duplicate copies of books on eBay or anywhere else when I get them in a good deal....
    I'd say what you're doing is one of the best possible uses for variant issues like that. If you have the connections and capital to buy multiple copies and sell them to others at prices they're willing to pay, then good for you. Using the profits to get high-grade comics you want without spending money from your day job is just smart business. It's not something I'm interested in, but that doesn't make you wrong or me right.

Besides, I enjoy seeing the classic comics you post when you aquire them.

Like Jolly Mon, Cei-U and that Bailey kid, if I own multiple copies it's because I forgot I already owned one or I got it in a large lot with other stuff I didn't have.

The insides are the same, why would I need more than one copy?

I have 6 copies of Thor #459 which I appear to have purchased new. I've never been able to figure out why.

*choke* Dan B. in the Underworld's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeweasel View Post
    I have 6 copies of Thor #459 which I appear to have purchased new. I've never been able to figure out why.
    Authorities believe Loki was involved.
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

Quote Originally Posted by Jezebel Bond View Post

I don't see why anyone would. If I could've bought a handful of those, I would've. My local LCS barely got any variants, and I only got #699.1 and #700 (standard) because they were on my pull list.

Other than doubles I get accidentally (usually stuff with variant covers or that I have in trade) or stuff I trade in because I got the trade after being unable to fill in the run, the only doubles I have or seek out are flashback issues with a framing sequence so I can put 1 where the flashback story takes place and 1 where the character remembers said story.

I recently got a 2nd copy of the Wolfman Crisis on Earth 3 DC Comics Presents annual, but only because my original copy was tattered to unreadability.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Harris View Post
    You mean like this?

I see nothing.
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

Quote Originally Posted by dupersuper View Post

I see nothing.
    I believe I have fixed this, thanks for the heads up.
    At last, Boy Comics finally gets its own website!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Harris View Post
    You mean like this?

Ah, these aren't mine, of course. But legend has it that the guy who owns these actually owns over 5,000 copies of this comic. These are just of the slabbed copies he owns.
    Holy Crap!

Now what someone needs to do is pull an Auric Goldfinger on this guy!

Buy a decent amount of the same issue - say 50 to 100 copies - then partner up with Red Chinese operatives and set off a nuclear device at this guys house irradiating all those copies of Iron Man Sub Mariner.

Just remember, if the plan goes sour - NEVER - and I mean NEVER fire a pistol at your adversary in the pressurized cabin of an aircraft.

I bought 6 issues of this book when it came out for 2.50 and sold them a week later for 6 bucks each. This is the era before Internet/ebay

Life is what you make it.

I still have 6 copies of the issue of Action Comics where Superman reveals his identity to Lois Lane. Quite frankly, it amazes me a little that it didn't become a highly sought after book. I can't find a cheap copy of Howard the Duck issues that have cameos from KISS in them, but the big moment that anyone who's ever loved Superman has always waited for can still be found in dollar bins.

Granted, the print run must have been kinda' high, but I don't recall the issue having been hyped at all, nor speculators rushing to grab it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Allofteteno View Post
    When you are not precise and to the level and ramble on about absolutely nothing, you simply will not make your visitors fascinated. Make certain your posts is intriguing and won't put anyone to sleep.
    Too late. ZZZzzzz