Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Multiple copies of the same issue

Just curious as to how many multiple copies of the same issue you have bought and which book?

I think back when it came out I bought about 10 copies (5 black/silver, 5 color) of the Todd McFarlane Spiderman #1.

Sadly, I also bought multiple copies of Youngblood

I bought several variants of Todd McFarlane's Spider-Man #1 and Jim Lee's X-Man #1, back in the day, but not all of them, and no identical versions like the 5 black/silver, 5 color of Todd McFarlane's Spider-Man #1. The only issues I have multiple copies of, are the ones I bought by mistake.
    Michael Pilgaard, fanboy at large
    WeirdSpace, a Multiverse Who's Who, since 2003
    American Comic Books, an index

I think I had a gold and silver cover for that Spider-man #1. I didn't try that hard to get them though. These days I have doubles of a few random issues because I've never made a list of books I have. Thus, I get to the LCS and forget sometimes...
    "There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and some day, they will. And that's how Sue Cs it."- Sue Sylvester, "Glee"

I've never gone in for that kind of speculating, I'm just a reader. The only comic I've intentionally paid for a 2nd copy of was an issue of JSA that was misprinted and had part of an issue of The Titans in the middle of it. I also have a 2nd copy of the X-Men/Titans crossover issue, but that was a signed freebie I got when I sent away for something. Otherwise, my duplicate copies have been due to memory failures on my part.
    One lab accident away from being a super-villain

I've done this a few times when at bookstores. Its usually because my memory isnt as good as it once was and I forget things. But because I buy things cheaply its usually not a problem cost-wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Mon View Post
    I've never gone in for that kind of speculating, I'm just a reader. ... [M]y duplicate copies have been due to memory failures on my part.
    This.

Cei-U!
    I summon the succintness!
    It's hardly a secret that something is badly wrong with me. - Dan B. in the Underworld
    I am ... a condescending prick sometimes. But I usually mean to be. - Paradox
    I'm not infallible. I just act like it. - Me

I bought multiple copies of the nine-cent issue of Waid/Weiringo Fantastic Four and the twenty-five cent issue of Edgington/Land Sojourn to give to friends as examples of why I bought comics.
    Anyway, it is cool for you to acquire acrimony of crumbling time on blast this website.
    --best spam ever

*choke* Dan B. in the Underworld's Avatar

Same as Cei-U! & Jolly Mon; I most recently brought home a copy of Image's M Rex #1 from a thrift store about a mile from the house, only to find last night, a couple of days later, that I already owned both issues of the mini. Ah, well -- there's 55 cents I won't be getting back.
    Last edited by Dan B. in the Underworld; 01-08-2013 at 10:45 AM.
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

Also as the comics I buy are cheap, sometimes if I see a particularly good issue I might buy a couple of copies so I can give them to charity - that way more people get to indulge in the pleasure.

The only premeditated multiple copy I ever bought was John Byrne's Man of Steel #1, with the silver logo on the cover. I bought one "keeper" and one for later resale (it seemed like it was going to be a real collectors' item at the time.)

Another time I bought the Jenkins/Lee Inhumans #2 with the Geof Darrow cover, then later saw the Jae Lee cover which I really loved, and bought it for that reason.

You know you all bought 8 copies of Starriors #1.

I've noted before that I can recall knowingly buying only one variant cover of an issue I already owned, just because I love the referenced cover so much --

I did the same with another first issue a few years later, though if memory serves it was at a half-off type sale (I paid cover price for the Supergirl). The regular cover, by the normally excellent Adam Hughes, made the title character look way too much like Doris Day for my taste --

I'd find Amanda Conner's version vastly preferable even if she wasn't already one of my favorite artists --

I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

(Hughes, of all people, seems to have real problems drawing PG, of all characters. Here's a variant in which he apparenly mistook her for Ellen DeGeneres, for godssakes --

Weird.)

-- Reptisaurus!

Guys like Hughes and Alex Ross use models and their faces translate directly into the finished product. I think Ross is way overrated.

Btw, that Hughes cover for JSA Classified #2 is probably the worst thing I've seen him do. Flat and dull.

You mean like this?

Ah, these aren't mine, of course. But legend has it that the guy who owns these actually owns over 5,000 copies of this comic. These are just of the slabbed copies he owns.
    Last edited by Scott Harris; 01-08-2013 at 09:37 PM.
    At last, Boy Comics finally gets its own website!