Default Is "house of mystery" any good?

I was thinking about getting the first trade and was wondering if its even any good, so if anyone out there has read it, please give your opinions of it, thanks
    "dude, suckin' at something is the first step towards being sorta good at something" - jake

Uh, yeah, it's good. Damned good. Buy it. You'll buy the other volumes, too. Many great stories in there, written and drawn by many great names and some lesser known ones.

Buy The House Of Secrets, too. And Ghosts. And so on.

Sweet, good to know I'm getting my money's worth
    "dude, suckin' at something is the first step towards being sorta good at something" - jake

I love the B&W Showcase Presents reprints of DC's horror titles. Many stories are more effective sans four-color.

Do you mean the classic '70s-early '80s House of Mystery that has been collected in massive Showcase editions or the recent Vertigo House of Mystery series by Matt Sturgis? Because both are good in their own way, but they're very, very different. Verslibre is recommending the classic series.

The new series is good. Ive rea dup to volume 5 and need to get the rest. Its a well written series.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-...stRecentReview

My amazon reviews, check them out sometime!

Quote Originally Posted by Gryphon View Post
    The new series is good. Ive rea dup to volume 5 and need to get the rest. Its a well written series.
    It is definitely good. I just picked up the whole series-- I orginally stopped reading it in the teens and lost track-- and it hold up well throughout its three years. Other than the inset stories, however, it's a completely different book than the '70-80s series, and I'm curious as to which one sonofwar is referring to. (Personally, I'd recommend both.)

I mean the vertigo "room and boredom" by sturges and willingham
    Last edited by sonOFwar; 01-08-2013 at 03:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sonOFwar View Post
    I mean the vertigo "room and boredom" by sturges and willingham
    It's good and certainly worth picking up. I think the second tpb, Love Stories for Dead People, is where the series really becomes something special.

Soul Gem Resident adam_warlock_2099's Avatar

IF you are talking original series (I have no idea if it's been resurrected recently), by all means yes. And in my personal opinion, the Showcase are perfect. I myself have the first four volumes and enjoy them immensely. I think this is one series that is a different animal in both color and B&W and can be enjoyed either way.
    "To alcohol, the cause of and solution to all of life's problems." -- Homer Simpson
    "You get what everyone gets. You get a lifetime." -- Death (Sandman)

NO! It really isn't. I asked this same question on a thread a few years ago. A couple of replies said it was pretty decent, so I picked up the first few trades. It was SO BORING. The first trade isn't too bad, but it only gets worse, not better. Do yourself a favor and buy something else instead.

Quote Originally Posted by eclecticmess View Post
    NO! It really isn't. I asked this same question on a thread a few years ago. A couple of replies said it was pretty decent, so I picked up the first few trades. It was SO BORING. The first trade isn't too bad, but it only gets worse, not better. Do yourself a favor and buy something else instead.
    I tried it and couldn't stick with it, seemed to have great promise at first but went in a direction I found uninteresting.

I enjoyed the hell out of House of Secrets tho, Rain is one of the most compelling heroines I've encountered in comics.

Quote Originally Posted by taem View Post
    I tried it and couldn't stick with it, seemed to have great promise at first but went in a direction I found uninteresting...
    Pretty much this. I ended up dropping the series. It just didn't hold my interest.
    If you're not reading Unwritten you should be.

I couldn't really get into the new House of Mystery. I often liked the insert stories better than the ongoing one. It's not a bad book, just not for me.

I loved House of Secrets, though.