Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Lenient Tyrant/Moderator Brian Cronin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by goof View Post
    The first time I was picked for jury duty I served 7 days on a case and the second time I had to go I was released from the jury pool in an hour and a half. I didn't mind it because where I work still pays you for jury duty. In fact, even with the hassle of finding and having to pay for parking downtown, it was better than being at work. Our local newspaper prints the court cases that are going to trial on Mondays, so you can see what your chances are at being picked. Both times I was summoned, seemed to correspond with when I had voted in person rather than by mail. I don't know if that was just a coincidence or not? After you serve they can't bother you again for 2 years so I'll be eligible again this June.
    It's fascinating that you can work out the odds ahead of time.

It was funny for me, it was like a game of musical chairs. If you happened to be in a panel (the thing where they pick out the jurors) when the time ran out, you had to come back the next day. If you were still in the jury pool at the end of the day, though, you'd be dismissed. So you want to time your return to the jury pool just right. I luckily returned at 2:20 PM. One panel was called up at 2:45 PM and that was the last one called up all day (the day would end at 4:00 PM). But definitely a tense 75 minutes waiting to see if they'll call up another panel.

-Brian
    Comics Should Be Good, which features Comic Book Legends Revealed!... check them out!

Also, be sure to check out my web site, Urban Legends Revealed!, for urban legends about Sports, TV, Movies, Music and more!

And while we're at it, please buy my new book, Why Does Batman Carry Shark Repellent? And while you're at that, please buy my first book, Was Superman a Spy? and Other Comic Book Legends Revealed!

Lenient Tyrant/Moderator Brian Cronin's Avatar

But at least Mrs. Doubtfire was blaring on the two big screen TVs.

-Brian
    Comics Should Be Good, which features Comic Book Legends Revealed!... check them out!

Also, be sure to check out my web site, Urban Legends Revealed!, for urban legends about Sports, TV, Movies, Music and more!

And while we're at it, please buy my new book, Why Does Batman Carry Shark Repellent? And while you're at that, please buy my first book, Was Superman a Spy? and Other Comic Book Legends Revealed!

Lowe/Piece/Understatement Artycool8or's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dupersuper View Post
    Limiting the age demographic would kinda' throw a monkey wrench into the whole "jury of your peers" thing...
    Who said anything about limiting the age? I know few characters in their 30's and 40's that are retired or semi- (whatever that means), that might be too few and far between to form a panel, but there are so many unemployed, welfare cases and rich people who aren't working, that might appreciate the $20 some bucks compensation per day. In my family it would have been great if they called my wife instead of me.

Anyway, there is one sure way to get out of the jury duty.
    Between the time you were summoned and the date of the hearing, commit a crime big enough to get you locked up and you'll be excused, for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Cronin View Post
    Some companies treat it like a sick day (without taking away from your other sick days, of course) while smaller companies can avoid paying, in which case the government pays. The government, though, pays very little so you'd be out of pocket. And in the trial I got out of, the lawyers explained how it was likely going to be a month-long. Yikes.

-Brian
    Nasty.

I just checked my company's policy and I'd be covered. (phew)

Yeah, missing so much time is kind of nuts.

How hard is it to avoid jury duty in Scotland? Did you try to get out of doing it?

-Brian
    No I didn't try to get out of it, felt duty bound to go through with it, plus I had no idea how long it would be. It's not so easy here as the selection process is very different in the UK. More pot luck than a focused decision.

The six weeks was a bit of a nightmare. Whilst base salary was covered, a lot of my earnings work on large bonus' that were impossible with the amount of time lost. If I was to estimate I probably lost about 3k plus for the time lost but wouldn't change it for a second.

After over a decade of not being called to jury duty, I finally got called to serve today. As it turns out, me being an attorney is a pretty good "get out of jury duty" card (while not definitively, of course, defense attorneys in civil suits tend not to want lawyers on the jury) but it made me wonder about other folks who DID end up serving on juries.

So as to the question - have you served on a jury? If so, how was the experience? If not, have you ever been called for jury duty? If so, how did you end up avoiding serving on a jury? Just blind luck?

-Brian
    I've received two letters in the mail for jury duty but never got picked. I've always wanted to, though.
    My blog where I mostly do comic reviews

Vocatus atque non vocatus deus aderit

I served on a criminal case here in Melbourne about 7 years ago. I was the jury foreman, which mainly consisted of keeping everybody on track during deliberations and announcing the verdict.

The case was truly bizarre. It was meant to last 3 days but ended up going for 2 weeks due to witnesses not showing up, satellite link ups not working, and general incompetance. In that 2 week period, we only went as far as the prosecution presenting its case. Once they'd finished, the judge advised us that, in cases where she didn't think the prosecution had presented a solid case, we could deliberate without even hearing the defence's argument. The case was incredibly flimsy and full of contradictory eye witness accounts, so I understand where the judge was coming from.

It was a very interesting experience, and participating in the deliberation process was fascinating.

Got called twice. First time I got out of it because they filled up the jury before calling my name. Second time got stuck on jury duty for two days over a drug possession charge case.
    In search of Claire...or Libby Hoeler :D

"What is illness to the body of a knight-errant? What matter wounds? For each time he falls, he shall rise again, and woe to the wicked.
    "

They let me out of it by me asking both times that that my time get moved to the summer to avoid missing class time. Both times they just let me out of it. I was surprised.
    Quarrels and Quills needs some talkative members. If you like to talk, help us grow.

RPG Tools - need a name fast. check this out

I got called for jury duty once, but the fact that I was that town's reporter covering crime and courts would have made it a little hard for me to get through jury selection, so they let me go.

I've been called three times in 25 years. I've only served on a jury once, though. It was a completely fascinating experience, even though our case was riddled with people making transparent lies and claims in the beginning. The second day, they tossed out a lot of the charges. We eventually hung - four of us for, four of us against- we stayed hung for two days before the judge allowed us to actually return a no decision.

Thankfully, my workplace gives us time for jury duty regardless of how long it lasts, and it doesn't use vacation or sick time. Same with military service.
    Superhero prose fiction: Corrupts Absolutely?, Heroics, more suggestions at Superheronovels.com

A couple of years ago I got summoned for the first time.

I was working on straight commission and went before the judge explaining I had FOUR kids in college at the same time.

The judge merely smiled at me and said, "Mr. Brodersen, we'll see you Monday morning.".

At first they said no worries, at least it's not a murder as they goes to the next building.

Guess what ? As we were being transported, I found out we were going to the "next building."

Our case took a week, but I knew at the end of the first day that he was guilty. It was hard not talking to anyone about it, but I stuck to the rules.

I honestly thought that when we deliberated, on murder, it would be nearly unanimous, where it was nearly half against !

We discussed in a civilized manner, with all naysayers falling into line, and pleading guilty. We had a choice of the death sentence or life imprisonment and it was unanimous that we chose life.

Very interesting.

BTW, I made $ 20/day and my parking came out of that, which was nearly $ 10/day.
    I am what I am and that's all what I am