Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lenient Tyrant/Moderator Brian Cronin's Avatar

Default Have you ever served on a jury?

After over a decade of not being called to jury duty, I finally got called to serve today. As it turns out, me being an attorney is a pretty good "get out of jury duty" card (while not definitively, of course, defense attorneys in civil suits tend not to want lawyers on the jury) but it made me wonder about other folks who DID end up serving on juries.

So as to the question - have you served on a jury? If so, how was the experience? If not, have you ever been called for jury duty? If so, how did you end up avoiding serving on a jury? Just blind luck?

-Brian
    Comics Should Be Good, which features Comic Book Legends Revealed!... check them out!

Also, be sure to check out my web site, Urban Legends Revealed!, for urban legends about Sports, TV, Movies, Music and more!

And while we're at it, please buy my new book, Why Does Batman Carry Shark Repellent? And while you're at that, please buy my first book, Was Superman a Spy? and Other Comic Book Legends Revealed!

No; the last time I was called in, I happened to be very ill. A bit of a silver lining, there, though it didn't feel that way...

Ouch. So you showed up while sick? Yeesh.

-Brian
    Comics Should Be Good, which features Comic Book Legends Revealed!... check them out!

Also, be sure to check out my web site, Urban Legends Revealed!, for urban legends about Sports, TV, Movies, Music and more!

And while we're at it, please buy my new book, Why Does Batman Carry Shark Repellent? And while you're at that, please buy my first book, Was Superman a Spy? and Other Comic Book Legends Revealed!

Lowe/Piece/Understatement Artycool8or's Avatar

Almost a year ago was the first time I ever got called in. Since, I didn't qualified for any of the described reasons to refuse, when I showed up, I just told them I can't afford to serve, as my wife lost her job recently, and they accepted that. I only lost few hours from my work.
    Personally I think they should just call people who are retired, as they have plenty of time and the small compensation that they'll get for being there is most likely to be welcome, by them. I know I wouldn't mind it in that case, but when you rely on your paycheck it's impossible.

The system does seem to be oddly flawed, where it literally seems like the only people who serve are those who actively want to be on the jury. Otherwise, if you don't want to be on the jury, there always seems to be a way to get off it.

-Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Cronin View Post
    Ouch. So you showed up while sick? Yeesh.

-Brian
    No, actually, I got out of jury duty. Because I was in so much pain I had difficulty leaving the house. Hardly a fair bargain, but I'm better now.

Oh, gotcha. Glad you're feeling better!

-Brian

yep, on a high profile case in Scotland a number of years back. My employers were NOT amused at the six weeks of work that I missed but given the nature of the case in question it was soon forgotten.

Not an experience I'd care to repeat certainly, but proud to have been a part of it.

I was called up once, but sent a letter explaining I couldn't afford it (this was during my "relish sandwich" days). I may have written it intentionally messy with several misspellings.

Quote Originally Posted by Artycool8or View Post
    Personally I think they should just call people who are retired, as they have plenty of time and the small compensation that they'll get for being there is most likely to be welcome, by them.
    Limiting the age demographic would kinda' throw a monkey wrench into the whole "jury of your peers" thing...
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

Part of me would love to be called up for jury service. I wouldn't like the responsibility, but the whole process fascinates me.

Would you really be out of pocket? I was under the impression that they covered your salary. Maybe it's different if you're self employed though.

I almost did. Went down to the courthouse, even. But the case resolved itself.

Happens a lot, apparently.
    Keep your feet on the ground, and keep reaching for the stars.

The first time I was picked for jury duty I served 7 days on a case and the second time I had to go I was released from the jury pool in an hour and a half. I didn't mind it because where I work still pays you for jury duty. In fact, even with the hassle of finding and having to pay for parking downtown, it was better than being at work. Our local newspaper prints the court cases that are going to trial on Mondays, so you can see what your chances are at being picked. Both times I was summoned, seemed to correspond with when I had voted in person rather than by mail. I don't know if that was just a coincidence or not? After you serve they can't bother you again for 2 years so I'll be eligible again this June.

Quote Originally Posted by idlewildered View Post
    yep, on a high profile case in Scotland a number of years back. My employers were NOT amused at the six weeks of work that I missed but given the nature of the case in question it was soon forgotten.

Not an experience I'd care to repeat certainly, but proud to have been a part of it.
    Yeah, missing so much time is kind of nuts.

How hard is it to avoid jury duty in Scotland? Did you try to get out of doing it?

-Brian

Quote Originally Posted by dupersuper View Post

Limiting the age demographic would kinda' throw a monkey wrench into the whole "jury of your peers" thing...
    Yeah, it wouldn't be pretty.

It is weird, though. I was thinking about how the classic "jury" from the old days in the U.S. (which was made up of prominent citizens in the town) would now almost never actually serve on a jury nowadays.

-Brian

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    Part of me would love to be called up for jury service. I wouldn't like the responsibility, but the whole process fascinates me.

Would you really be out of pocket? I was under the impression that they covered your salary. Maybe it's different if you're self employed though.
    Some companies treat it like a sick day (without taking away from your other sick days, of course) while smaller companies can avoid paying, in which case the government pays. The government, though, pays very little so you'd be out of pocket. And in the trial I got out of, the lawyers explained how it was likely going to be a month-long. Yikes.

-Brian