Page 154 of 210 FirstFirst ... 54104144150151152153154155156157158164204 ... LastLast
Results 2,296 to 2,310 of 3136

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Water View Post
    Thank you!
    I am lucky, I think (maybe?), that if I buy something that I find I don't care for, I have a 13 year old son who I can give it to. So, if I get the Firestorm books and find I don't care for them, my son may like them. I am pretty open to comics, though, as long as the story is fun.
    I think its great you give your son things to read Cold Water. Its why I like the comic bargain boxes. You get to just buy what you want at rock bottom prices.

14 Time Rita's Champion SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Harris View Post
    I haven't had a lot of money to spend on comics recently, but luckily, the stuff I am buying doesn't cost much. With what disposable income I have, I have been disposing it on Archie stuff, mainly Life with Archie (the original series) and Jughead.

It hasn't arrived yet, but I just placed an order online that will allow to me reach one of my first big milestones in Archie collecting, which is that once they do arrive, I will have Jughead vol. 2 #1-130.

At the beginning of the year, for my primary goal in 2014, I listed that I wanted to finish my Jughead run going back to 1970. At the start of the year, I needed 99 issues to do so. I am now down to 45. I'm hoping that if I do well on my tax returns, I'll be able to at least complete Jughead vol. 2 in its entirety at that point (which is #1-214, or 1987-2012).
    Damn that is a hell of a run. I have to say getting 1-130 is a pretty solid run. How close are you on Volume #1 ?

Quote Originally Posted by icctrombone View Post
    I Got it on ebay. If you factor in gas tolls and stuff , you do better getting it online. A few weeks ago I purchased Avengers 98 and 99, They both came out to 17 bucks but I paid tolls and gas which came out to about 25 dollars.
    At times you can do better online. Of course at times you can do better at shows they run and get issues. Some dealers will sell those in a way you can afford them basically.

Quote Originally Posted by MonteMike72 View Post
    Champions #17 with some great art by George Tuska and John Byrne.
    Attachment 125295
    That is a cool damn cover . Love the Sentinels .
    "Heads up-- If Havok's position in UA #5 really upset you, it's time to drown yourself hobo piss. Seriously, do it. It's the only solution." - Rick Remender

Sucks 200 character limit.

Quote Originally Posted by zryson View Post
    I think its great you give your son things to read Cold Water. Its why I like the comic bargain boxes. You get to just buy what you want at rock bottom prices.
    That would definitely be a cheaper, less expensive route to go for reads for him. But he can be rather picky. His absolute favorite character is Captain America, and he has a stack of Cap TPBs that will keep him reading for a while. He is very art-picky. I find it strange that at his age he is so picky about art and what he'll read. I thought he'd be more excited about reading my classic Invaders since he loves golden age Cap and Bucky, but he's being sluggish about it. He's slow to take team books.
    Youth ends when egotism does; maturity begins when one lives for others.---Hermann Hesse

That would definitely be a cheaper, less expensive route to go for reads for him. But he can be rather picky. His absolute favorite character is Captain America, and he has a stack of Cap TPBs that will keep him reading for a while. He is very art-picky. I find it strange that at his age he is so picky about art and what he'll read. I thought he'd be more excited about reading my classic Invaders since he loves golden age Cap and Bucky, but he's being sluggish about it. He's slow to take team books.
    I dont think its strange at all. He just sounds like he knows what he likes and doesnt want. At an early age, I was the same way. Even now I can walk into a bookstore and size it up pretty fast, and decide quickly if there is anything I want to buy or not. Also the bargain comic boxes are awesome because there isnt a great deal of money involved and you can find anything from silver age, to variant editions, limited editions, etc.

Soul Gem Resident adam_warlock_2099's Avatar

I would LOVE to see the rest of your collections in their boxes/whatever parts of your comic room you'd like to share pics of (if you feel up to it). Is there perhaps a specific existing thread for that kind of thing that you could post it in?

I only have my Nightcrawler sideshow statue and a few pointless action figures that will be packed away soon because they are taking up precious bookshelf space for my books.
    I don't have an LCS, so I love to see others' collections because it's the only time I get to see a massive amount of comic books.

Love those scans, btw!!
    This thread had a few more of the poster's here collections. It's not the particular picture I was searching for but there is a poster here,whose name escapes me (he has a Godzilla avatar) has the biggest collection I have ever seen. I wouldn't doubt he's passed 100,000.

http://forums.comicbookresources.com...re+your+comics
    "To alcohol, the cause of and solution to all of life's problems." -- Homer Simpson
    "You get what everyone gets. You get a lifetime." -- Death (Sandman)

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Damn that is a hell of a run. I have to say getting 1-130 is a pretty solid run. How close are you on Volume #1 ?
    I am getting pretty close to my current goal. I need 17 more issues to have #179-352. Some of the later issues are a little more difficult to find, and one of them is the only issue of Jughead after 1970 that goes for more than $3 or so - #325, which has the second appearance of Cheryl Blossom. There aren't a lot of copies around as the print run in the early 80's was relatively low and a lot of copies were bought by kids who weren't comic collectors and therefore didn't hang on to them. There's basically one copy on ebay, and it's a really low grade one for $32. I keep hoping I can find one in the wild or hidden in a lot and avoid getting hosed, but it's looking less and less likely.

Once I get this run done, I can start working on the 1960's. I think I can probably get all the Jughead issues from the 1960's for $5 apiece or less. They don't start getting expensive until you get back to the 1950's.
    At last, Boy Comics finally gets its own website!

I understand. I just ordered the 1984 Sub-Mariner mini for $4, under $4, but we'll put it at $5-$5.50 when you figure in shipping. But I had to order some currents anyway. And I know that mini isn't rare, but I ordered it because I want to read it and it's not in TPB. And Namor is one of my favorites, so the only thing I am not really looking to collect and read with him is probably Gillen's UXM run.
    So, yes, I get the gas money, tolls, etc, because the closest LCS to me is pretty close to Chicago. So, you figure in gas money and traffic headache, it's really worth just ordering online and paying shipping, imo.
    Getting to the nearest LCS can be an effort so many people like the ease of shopping online (which can also be incredibly addictive for many.) For myself though there are too many pitfalls in buying online since many people cant grade accurately (I have encountered many people who think just because a comic comes in a bag that it must be Mint/NM) and worse, many people dont even check the comics cover to cover for any defects. Its why I tend to be a direct person, in that I want to see what I am buying in front of me. I remember going to a store recently and the staff member trying to convince me that the items I were examining were all in fantastic condition and worth the price but I gave them a thorough going over and noted several defects the staff member had overlooked and as I said privately to a friend who was with me, they wanted simply too much money for the item and they had over-graded the item. That's why I want to buy in person.

I recently bought a lot off ebay that included the runs of Batman Year One and Death in the Family.

Getting to the nearest LCS can be an effort so many people like the ease of shopping online (which can also be incredibly addictive for many.) For myself though there are too many pitfalls in buying online since many people cant grade accurately (I have encountered many people who think just because a comic comes in a bag that it must be Mint/NM) and worse, many people dont even check the comics cover to cover for any defects. . .That's why I want to buy in person.
    My LCS simply doesn't carry the merchandise that I am interested in acquiring (key Gold and Silver Age) and I don't blame them. That's a lot of money to tie up in inventory for which there are very few local buyers (I'm in North Georgia, 70 miles from TN). Thus, 100% of my purchases of those items are done online AND those books are professionally graded, since I just refuse to pony up that kind of money for an item that I can't personally inspect.
    "Leviathans have tried and failed! You will not eat the true Sub-Mariner!"

Namor, Defenders #3

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Maurice View Post
    My LCS simply doesn't carry the merchandise that I am interested in acquiring (key Gold and Silver Age) and I don't blame them. That's a lot of money to tie up in inventory for which there are very few local buyers (I'm in North Georgia, 70 miles from TN). Thus, 100% of my purchases of those items are done online AND those books are professionally graded, since I just refuse to pony up that kind of money for an item that I can't personally inspect.
    Depending on the turnover, it can be expensive for stores. I remember going to one store and they had a huge range of comics but hardly any buyers. I dont think it was necessarily because the prices were bad, but that comics arent as popular with as many people as they once were. So they ended up closing. It was a sad moment because it really was a fantastic store.

Kicking the hornet's nest Jezebel Bond's Avatar

I can understand how he feels, I loved Spider-Man as a little girl but got turned off by Todd McFarlane's art, or anything done by Rob Liefeld
    1 Kings 21:23

And of Jezebel also spake the LORD, saying, The dogs shall eat Jezebel by the wall of Jezreel.

Getting to the nearest LCS can be an effort so many people like the ease of shopping online (which can also be incredibly addictive for many.) For myself though there are too many pitfalls in buying online since many people cant grade accurately (I have encountered many people who think just because a comic comes in a bag that it must be Mint/NM) and worse, many people dont even check the comics cover to cover for any defects. Its why I tend to be a direct person, in that I want to see what I am buying in front of me. I remember going to a store recently and the staff member trying to convince me that the items I were examining were all in fantastic condition and worth the price but I gave them a thorough going over and noted several defects the staff member had overlooked and as I said privately to a friend who was with me, they wanted simply too much money for the item and they had over-graded the item. That's why I want to buy in person.
    I buy from reputable sources (or so I believe), and I NEVER buy expensive books (or what I consider expensive, anyway) because I am not in to collect for collecting. I want to be able to comfortably read what I buy. As long as what I buy isn't going to fall apart in my hands, I am fine with lower grade copies of things (for whatever I cannot find in TPB or hardcover collection). None of the floppies from that mini were over a $1. To me, that is inexpensive. But I have no idea about any of that. I have no idea about any grading systems. When I get my floppies I order, I always expect them to be in poorer shape (because of their grading description), but I have been pretty amazed by what I have purchased.
    I rarely buy anything from ebay. The only thing I have bought from ebay was a guy who was selling a bunch of hardcover MW Sub-Mariner books and Defenders books, still packaged for under $20 per book. But I was linked on these boards by someone who had previously bought from the person.
    Youth ends when egotism does; maturity begins when one lives for others.---Hermann Hesse

Quote Originally Posted by Jezebel Bond View Post
    I can understand how he feels, I loved Spider-Man as a little girl but got turned off by Todd McFarlane's art, or anything done by Rob Liefeld
    What's funny is, Spider-Man was my first intro, truly, to comics. By a friend who would read me his Spider-Man comics as I fell asleep. Anyway, I don't read Spider-Man comics today, though.
    I probably should.

Interesting to hear about other people's LCS situation. Makes me appreciate the number of options I have that much more. I have 4 main shops I go to for different things (one is good for back issues, one of indies/local stuff, one for the constant sales etc.). Then there's 4 more in the area if somehow those shops that have what I need. And to top it off we have a convention every 3 months. All said shops are in attendance, plus a handful from out of town.

Speaking of, here's some neat stuff from the last couple of months.

Lois #13. The earliest I have so far not counting the Archives. I hope to have a full run from #9 on eventually. If I can make that happen then I'll work on what's in the Archives.

Quote Originally Posted by thecolortechnic View Post

Lois #13. The earliest I have so far not counting the Archives. I hope to have a full run from #9 on eventually. If I can make that happen then I'll work on what's in the Archives.

Now that's the stuff!

Always good to see another Lois collector, there aren't a lot of us around it seems. I have #64-up at the moment. I'm working on getting to #43-up, missing 9 more for that, but then I have my work cut out for me, as I don't have any of the first 42 issues yet.

Sinister House is also awesome. I have all four issues of this series and #2-4 of Dark Mansion of Forbidden Love, but I am still missing DMoFL #1. I didn't know until recently that though the fifth issues of both series changed titles to remove the love part, the stories inside were done before that change was decided on, so the contents are both gothic romance rather than straight horror.
    At last, Boy Comics finally gets its own website!