Page 43 of 210 FirstFirst ... 333940414243444546475393143 ... LastLast
    14 Time Rita's Champion SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Harris View Post
    Well, my hiatus from buying back issue lasted about a week. Hey, what are you going to do when you keep finding good deals? I'm still in the process of working things out, so there may be more on the way, but it looks like I'll be getting #0-22 of Kurt Busiek's Conan run from Dark Horse for $15 plus shipping. The same dealer is also selling me 50+ issues of Grim Jack for about .40 per issue, so I am pleased with that purchase as well.

On the Silver Age front, a different dealer is selling me 10 SA issues of Action between #352 and #381 for $3 each. This will put me perilously close to having #350-583. And the same dealer had something I've been looking for for a long, long time - a cheap low grade copy of Journey Into Mystery #93.

This bad boy, which I am paying $25 for and which is the first copy under $50 or so I have seen in a long time in any condition (seriously, check ebay right now, the cheapest one on there is $100) will leave me just 6 issues short of a complete run of Thor:

That is a cool issue of Journey into Mystery. 6 issues away from a complete run. Wow...I'm in awe.
    "Heads up-- If Havok's position in UA #5 really upset you, it's time to drown yourself hobo piss. Seriously, do it. It's the only solution." - Rick Remender

Sucks 200 character limit.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Maurice View Post
    I really love those early Thor issues, before the scope and cast expanded to epic proportions. There's nothing wrong, of course, with the sprawling Lee/Kirby Asgardian Tales and their cast of thousands. It's just that young Phil sometimes felt he needed a program to keep them all straight in his head.

Compiling a complete run of Thor is a feat worthy of the Thunder God himself. Out of curiosity, which issues do you lack? Not surprisingly,#83 continues to elude me, but I do have a few of the more desirable ones: 84, 85, 95, 99 & 116. I've got a nice copy of JIM #82 as well, but I can't seem to conjure any interest in it.
    I am missing 83, 84 and 85 as well as 92, 94 and 112.

So 1st Thor, 1st Odin, 1st Loki, two Loki cover appearances and that damn Hulk crossover. I just refuse to pay through the nose for that issue. Hey Hulk fans, go drive the prices up on your own title.
    At last, Boy Comics finally gets its own website!

hi Scott, I'm sure you will be able to find them with time. These days I'm not really looking for any issues in particular myself, I tend to just buy something every now and then if the prices are very cheap. I think its all too easy to spend money these days what with all the temptations but I concentrate more on saving money.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aamow41.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	105.5 KB 
ID:	110783Click image for larger version. 

Name:	buzzy64.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	100.1 KB 
ID:	110784
    More random back issues found in my mailbox.

Nice pick up Scott.

And I love that Kubert cover on the All American Men of War.

-M
    A lunatic is easily recognized...You can tell him by the liberties he takes with common sense...and by the fact that sooner or later he brings up the Templars.
    -Umberto Eco

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Harris View Post
    . . .that damn Hulk crossover. I just refuse to pay through the nose for that issue. Hey Hulk fans, go drive the prices up on your own title.
    No kidding! "that damn Hulk crossover" has been evading me for twenty years, at least. But I know I'll never actually buy it now, and it's for a stupid, fannish reason.

JIM #112 is an extraordinary, key book, not only because of the first Hulk/Thor battle, but also because the entire brouhaha takes place between panels in Avengers #3!

Yup. JIM #112 is an "episode within an episode."

Realizing I had Avengers #3, I quickly decided that I also had, by default, JIM #112. And that was the end of my search.
    "Leviathans have tried and failed! You will not eat the true Sub-Mariner!"

Namor, Defenders #3

Default Starlin, Guice, Simonson and Mignola

Hi,
    It's not "classic", but it's more than 20 years old (1990) :

(i) a special X-Factor issue, "Prisoner of love", by Starlin and Guice :

[IMG][/IMG]

Jackson Guice's art is amazing :

[IMG][/IMG]

(ii) and "Wolverine : The Jungle adventure" by Simonson and Mignola :

[IMG][/IMG]

I bought the two issues yesterday, in a little comics shop where I never went before...
    Avengers, New Av., Mighty Av., Secret Av., Uncanny Av., Young Av., Inhumanity, Thor God of Thunder, Wolverine.

nice purchases Jean-Michel! I remember buying that Wolverine graphic novel in a bookstore several years ago for like a dollar. I think it was among the first comics I purchased which featured Wolverine.

Do a bunch of the Amalgam line at $1.00 each count?
    Congress shall make no law . . . abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Amalgam was fun stuff. As was Tangent.

Actually, I'd rather read about either of those universes than the New 52.
    At last, Boy Comics finally gets its own website!

Remember the Herculoids

Quote Originally Posted by DCIndexer View Post
    Attachment 110078Attachment 110079
    A couple of really scarce books!
    Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    I am totally jealous of these two. Stranger is a favorite character, and I have yet to even see one of the issues of this series in person, let alone think of acquiring one. I keep hoping DC would do a Stranger archives and collect these, but alas only a Showcase and it started with the "relaunch" in Showcase 80, not including these.

-M
    One of my favorite characters, too. I'm still working on the 70s stuff...can't even imagine going after these first appearance gems. Maybe there are some scans of the stories on the Internet somewhere? Nice job, this will be a gem of a run in your unparalleled collection.

Remember the Herculoids

Do you like 1984/1994 so far? I was thinking of collecting them, too. Never read any.

hi MajorHoy I think the Amalgam comics do count! I remember finding a bunch of them at a bookstore along with a box of Heavy Metal and Savage Sword of Conan and Mad Magazines. I ended up buying a bunch of Amalgam comics to use as readers before giving them away. They made for a fun distraction from the usual comics!

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I really enjoyed a bunch of those comics. Both the Spider-Boy releases were great (with fun Ladronn art on Spider-Boy Team-Up), Dr. Strangefate was a beautiful book (Garcia-Lopez inked by Nowlan!), and I got a kick out of Dark Claw Adventures, which I think had Ty Templeton involved and was done in the style of Batman: The Animated Series.

Maybe I'll dig those out soon.

Edited to add: after looking at a list of the one-shots, I remembered how awesome Thorion was too.
    Last edited by Aaron King; 03-22-2013 at 09:50 PM.
    All-Star Western, Casanova, Criminal, Daredevil, Dark Horse Presents, Funnies, Hellboy/BPRD, King City, Orc Stain, Snarked, Unwritten, Usagi Yojimbo