Page 19 of 210 FirstFirst ... 91516171819202122232969119 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    Forbidden Tales of Dark Mansion #10
    Jealous... That's the only issue I want... When you read it, be sure to review it on the "read lately" thread, okay?
    Anyway, it is cool for you to acquire acrimony of crumbling time on blast this website.
    --best spam ever

This place near me, the Nostalgia Zone, is having a really big SALE since they're changing locations. 30-50% off most things. Their main focus is older comics and collections, but they have a bunch of books and DVDs too, mostly relating to things from the '40s to the '70s. They do mail-order. Here's their website.

I stopped over today and grabbed:
    the Steranko SHIELD collection (with the subpar recoloring) for $8
    Kurtzman's Jungle Book for $10
    X-Men Visionaries: Chris Claremont for $8

I thought that last one started Claremont's X-Men from the beginning like the Byrne FF Visionaries or Simonson's Thor. It's actually a random smattering of issues instead, but I'm okay with that.
    All-Star Western, Casanova, Criminal, Daredevil, Dark Horse Presents, Funnies, Hellboy/BPRD, King City, Orc Stain, Snarked, Unwritten, Usagi Yojimbo

Quote Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
    Jealous... That's the only issue I want... When you read it, be sure to review it on the "read lately" thread, okay?
    Will do. Might be a bit, but I will add it to my read soon pile.

-M
    A lunatic is easily recognized...You can tell him by the liberties he takes with common sense...and by the fact that sooner or later he brings up the Templars.
    -Umberto Eco

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	all.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	94.9 KB 
ID:	108449
    Five oldies but goodies, all between 1948-1952

I just got back from a week out of town, and arrived home to find a pile of packages filled with comics. So that's nice.

While on my trip, I did visit a comic store that had quite a nice selection, though prices were a little aggressive for my taste, likely because there wasn't another comic store for an hour in any direction. But there was some good stuff and I did drop some cash, mainly on Archie stuff. I was very tempted by a low grade copy of Superman #47 they had for $50; a piece was missing out of the lower right front cover, and it had rusty staples, but it was complete and presented well. I think maybe I should have bought it.

Anyway, I'll be posting some pics over the next couple of days as I sort through my arrivals. Here's the highlight so far:

The Action #255 was part of an ebay lot of six back issues I paid $10 for (including shipping) so my price for it was $1.67. The Superman #129 (first Lori Lemaris) came in a comic exchange from another forum I visit, so I didn't actually pay anything for it. Needless to say, I am pretty chuffed over these two arrivals. Hurray!
    At last, Boy Comics finally gets its own website!

My large Lonestar order arrived today (sans one book that was supposed to be there, but a phone call to them resulted in an immediate credit for the missing book, so I was pleased with the customer service).

The highlight for me was getting three DC books I had as a kid but hadn't seen or read in over 30 years including:

Name:	dcspecial23.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	73.4 KB 
ID:	108458

DC Special #23

Name:	G.I._Combat_Vol_1_193.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	70.4 KB 
ID:	108459

G.I. Combat 193

and

Name:	Superman_v.1_287.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	66.4 KB 
ID:	108460

Superman #287

With the order, I now only need 6 more issues of Master of Kung Fu to complete the run, 1 issue of Richard Dragon Kung Fu Fighter to complete that run, and completed the following series:

Grimoire
    Amazing High Adventure
    Kirby's Eternals
    Devil Dinosaur
    New Teen Titans (1980)
    Deadman ('85 reprint series)
    Martian Manhunter: American Secrets
    Kull (1982)
    Kull (1983)
    Wulf the Barbarian
    Flash Gordon (DC)
    James Bond: Permission to Die
    Breed III
    Mythstalkers
    Micronauts (Image)
    Micronauts (Devil's Due)

plus added several more Conan issues to my stash, started on the issues of Unexpected with Madame Xanadu stories, and added 7 Showcase Presents volumes to my shelf (Adam Strange, Atom Vol. 1 & 2, Hawkman Vol. 1 and 2, and Martian Manhunter Vol. 1 & 2). Man do I have a lot of (hopefully) good reading ahead of me.

-M
    Last edited by MRP; 02-11-2013 at 06:25 PM.
    A lunatic is easily recognized...You can tell him by the liberties he takes with common sense...and by the fact that sooner or later he brings up the Templars.
    -Umberto Eco

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron King View Post
    This place near me, the Nostalgia Zone, is having a really big SALE since they're changing locations. 30-50% off most things. Their main focus is older comics and collections, but they have a bunch of books and DVDs too, mostly relating to things from the '40s to the '70s. They do mail-order. Here's their website.

Thanks for mentioning this sale. They have some DELL FOUR COLOR and MAVERICK issues I've been seeking.

Is that address(36th and Lake) listed the new store? Didn't they have one on Hennepin Ave?
    Landis: You Cherokee Jack?
    Cherokee Jack: Yah. Ah'm Cherokee Jack.

14 Time Rita's Champion SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Harris View Post
    I just got back from a week out of town, and arrived home to find a pile of packages filled with comics. So that's nice.

While on my trip, I did visit a comic store that had quite a nice selection, though prices were a little aggressive for my taste, likely because there wasn't another comic store for an hour in any direction. But there was some good stuff and I did drop some cash, mainly on Archie stuff. I was very tempted by a low grade copy of Superman #47 they had for $50; a piece was missing out of the lower right front cover, and it had rusty staples, but it was complete and presented well. I think maybe I should have bought it.

Anyway, I'll be posting some pics over the next couple of days as I sort through my arrivals. Here's the highlight so far:

The Action #255 was part of an ebay lot of six back issues I paid $10 for (including shipping) so my price for it was $1.67. The Superman #129 (first Lori Lemaris) came in a comic exchange from another forum I visit, so I didn't actually pay anything for it. Needless to say, I am pretty chuffed over these two arrivals. Hurray!
    Those are some nice issues man. Great 1st app of Lori Lemaris.
    "Heads up-- If Havok's position in UA #5 really upset you, it's time to drown yourself hobo piss. Seriously, do it. It's the only solution." - Rick Remender

Sucks 200 character limit.

Doctor Who Classics Omnibus vol. 1

Anyway, it is cool for you to acquire acrimony of crumbling time on blast this website.
    --best spam ever

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron King View Post
    I stopped over today and grabbed:
    the Steranko SHIELD collection (with the subpar recoloring) for $8
    Kurtzman's Jungle Book for $10
    Agreed about the SHIELD collection - really horrible job they did on that one. I'd really like to see that Kurtzman book.
    Boycott Marvel. Make Mine Kirby.

Quote Originally Posted by Cherokee Jack View Post
    Thanks for mentioning this sale. They have some DELL FOUR COLOR and MAVERICK issues I've been seeking.

Is that address(36th and Lake) listed the new store? Didn't they have one on Hennepin Ave?
    That's their current address; they told me they're moving "just around the corner," though, so I guess it's sort of their new place.

You might be thinking of Comic College, which is on Hennepin and just a few blocks off Lake. I think they're somehow related.

Quote Originally Posted by Francis Dawson View Post
    Agreed about the SHIELD collection - really horrible job they did on that one. I'd really like to see that Kurtzman book.
    I'm about halfway through the Steranko book so far. I can ignore the coloring most of the time, but there's the occasional awful gradient or amateur choice that really takes me out of things. I don't understand why they tout the book as such a great example of '60s art and then try to make it look like an awful example of Photoshop art.

I haven't cracked the Kurtzman book yet, but a quick Google Image search makes me pretty excited to eventually getting to it.

Also, welcome back to the boards!
    All-Star Western, Casanova, Criminal, Daredevil, Dark Horse Presents, Funnies, Hellboy/BPRD, King City, Orc Stain, Snarked, Unwritten, Usagi Yojimbo

Kicking the hornet's nest Jezebel Bond's Avatar

Don't have a pic...but picked up a HC of Ultimate Spider-Man Volume 2 which collects issues 14-27...in like new condition for only $6.75

Either everyone else already has these HCs or I was in the right place at the right time...

I plan to fill up an entire book case with HCs by end of year if I keep getting good deals.
    1 Kings 21:23

And of Jezebel also spake the LORD, saying, The dogs shall eat Jezebel by the wall of Jezreel.

Quote Originally Posted by Jezebel Bond View Post
    Don't have a pic...but picked up a HC of Ultimate Spider-Man Volume 2 which collects issues 14-27...in like new condition for only $6.75

Either everyone else already has these HCs or I was in the right place at the right time...

I plan to fill up an entire book case with HCs by end of year if I keep getting good deals.
    I think there must be a lot of those out there. When I was working at a library, I saw a bunch of copies of the first few HCs (the big ones with 13 or so issues) going for between $2 and $10. I snapped them up for the library. I assume there are just a ton of copies of them out there.