Page 16 of 210 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819202666116 ... LastLast

Nice pickups!

Just snagged 2 more LB Cole covers - 1 comic and 1 pulp!

First up, this gem. Love the colors:

Next up, this one that was in excellent shape. This dress is being held up by sheer will:

Plus, I've been looking for something else from the author of "Problem Girl."
    - pmpknface

"Webs Away!!!"
    Read My CBR Articles!

Over on the CGC forums, a member recently held a sale with all proceeds going to the Stand Up to Cancer charity. As this is a cause that is important to me - and, of course, because the guy had some comics I totally wanted - I ended up putting in a bid on a lot of comics which I ended up winning.

So it's a win-win for me, as I get to donate some money to charity and also got a great deal on some stuff I needed for my collection. The final haul was 29 issues of Our Army at War for $135 shipped. Three of the issues are coverless, but these are late 50's - early 60's issues, so $5 each for them is, on the whole, a pretty good deal. Several of these are from the 50's and are pre-Sgt. Rock issues, while the other 24 or so issues are between #96-158, and therefore are early 60's Sgt. Rock issues.

I've been making a lot of headway in my Sgt. Rock collection, but once you get before #200, the issues start getting kind of pricey, so I am really stoked about this one for several reasons.

A couple sample pics:

Some 10 centers from the 50's!

Last edited by Scott Harris; 01-31-2013 at 05:14 PM.
    At last, Boy Comics finally gets its own website!

Used up the last of my store credit at the local shop today to pick up a large bunch of Conan the Barbarians I needed. I picked up all but 3 issues I needed between 232-274. He had a 275, but I already had the issue, so I left it for someone else to get.

I also picked up 2 more Kubert covers....

Korak #46

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Korak_Son_of_Tarzan_Vol_1_46.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	81.2 KB 
ID:	107984

Unknown Soldier #250

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	18935-2895-21160-1-unknown-soldier_super.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	76.9 KB 
ID:	107985

Also got confirmation on the books I sent to Lonestar for trade, so I will be placing an order with them as soon as the credit shows up in my account.

-M
    A lunatic is easily recognized...You can tell him by the liberties he takes with common sense...and by the fact that sooner or later he brings up the Templars.
    -Umberto Eco

I think that was pretty amazing of you to do that Scott Harris. BTW nice comics and you too MRP!

Quote Originally Posted by zryson View Post
    I think that was pretty amazing of you to do that Scott Harris. BTW nice comics and you too MRP!
    That seller's store on ebay is here: http://stores.ebay.com/BLBcomics?_trksid=p2047675.l2563 If you buy anything from that store it's likely going to the same cause. I almost pulled the trigger on a few books - still might - but I ended up with some harder to find items at good deals instead.
    - pmpknface

"Webs Away!!!"
    Read My CBR Articles!

Got a few issues on my Holy Grail list!

Dr. Strange #177

And one I've been wanting to have FOREVER. I finally have it! Captain Marvel #1

And a nice lot of other early Capt. Marv!

This is comic book heaven for me folks!
    Last edited by B.A.L.; 02-01-2013 at 01:45 PM.

Well I got the credit with Lonestar and just placed a fairly large order with them using up the credit. Assuming everything I ordered was in stock the haul included:

7 Showcase volumes (Hawkman Vol. 1 and 2, The Atom Vol. 1 and 2, Martian Manhunter Vol. 1 and 2 and Adam Strange Vol. 1)
    Amazing High Adventure 1-5 (had to have it after seeing it in 12 Days of Christmas thread)
    Breed III #7 (somehow missed Starlin's finale the the Breed saga when it came out)
    7 issues, 5 Annuals and 2 Giant Sized Conan the Barbarians
    Deadman 5 (reprint series, completes series)
    Devil Dinosaur 4 (completes series)
    Doctor Voodoo: Avenger of the Supernatural 5 (completes series)
    Eternals 1 (completes series)
    Flash Gordon (DC) 7 (completes series)
    Grimoire 7 (interesting little fantasy series, but thise last issue had poor distribution when Speakeasy went under, completes series)
    James Bond: Permission to Die 1, 3 (Grell, completes series)
    Kull the Conqueror (2nd series ) 2 (completes series)
    Kull the Conquerer (3rd series ( 9, 10 (completes series)
    Martian Manhunter American Secrets 1, 2 (still need 3 was out of stock darn it-another series I rediscovered because of 12 Days)
    39 issues of Master of Kung Fu (leaving me only 7 more to complete the run-those 7 were out of stock)
    Micronauts-4 issues of the Image series and 1 of the Devil's Due series to compete those series
    Mythstalker 7 (interesting Image series about group of Victorian crytozoologists, from about 10 ears ago that I somehow missed an issue of, completes series)
    New Teen Titans 11 (1st)-leaves only 1 issue of Tales of to complete series)
    Nightside 1-4 (quirky Marvel horror series form 90's that I read but no longer have and wanted again)
    Richard Dragon, Kung Fu Fighter 15 (leaves 1 to complete series, that issue was out of stock)
    Unexpected 192
    Wulf the Barbarian #1 (completes series)

and a couple of DC Comics I remembered having as a kid but no longer own, I am trying to recreate my small childhood DC stash-these three included Superman 287, DC Special 23 and G.I. Combat 193

So a big haul, I should receive them in about a week, and look forward to diving in to some of those. I have a local con (Gem City) coming up at the end of March, but aside from that, this was my last major purchase of the year-I had a fair number of books I wanted to trade in and use to get other stuff I still wanted, and between the Lonestar order here and the books I traded at the local shop, I have gotten a pretty good turnaround and stash of stuff with no out of pocket cash outlay. Since my budget for the year for back issues is extremely small, I don't see any more major purchases on the horizon.

-M
    Last edited by MRP; 02-02-2013 at 05:31 PM.
    A lunatic is easily recognized...You can tell him by the liberties he takes with common sense...and by the fact that sooner or later he brings up the Templars.
    -Umberto Eco

Because I see that Legion Archives 8 goes for a zillion dollars, I've been picking up the individual issues off Ebay instead. In the past week, I've purchased Adventure Comics #369, 372, 373, 374, and 376.
    "I don't care if they have definite connections to the boy scouts. They have Weapon X - I want him back. We spent a lot of money and resources developing and training him - not to mention your group as well - I won't see it thrown away."
    - Canadian Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau, April 1979

Unfortunately, Wolverine escaped to the U.S. with the X-Men. Soon after this stunning debacle, Trudeau's Liberal Party would go down to defeat in the May 1979 election.

14 Time Rita's Champion SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Gravity View Post

Dr. Strange #177

And one I've been wanting to have FOREVER. I finally have it! Captain Marvel #1

I'd like to find a Captain Marvel #1 , one day. I will hunt for that eventually.
    "Heads up-- If Havok's position in UA #5 really upset you, it's time to drown yourself hobo piss. Seriously, do it. It's the only solution." - Rick Remender

Sucks 200 character limit.

Wow, some nice purchases!

Lunatic On The Grass pinkfloydsound17's Avatar
    Dark side of the moon (Ontario, Canada to be exact)

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    I'd like to find a Captain Marvel #1 , one day. I will hunt for that eventually.
    I sold my beat up copy of 1 and 2....they were beyond rough though. I have Cap Marvel #15, love the colors on it. Can't say I am crazy on Captain Marvel as a whole, at least not the later stuff but the early stuff has killer art. Great lot!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Gravity View Post

I don't realy know anything about Captain Marvel, or most of Marvel's cosmic universe but WOW! These are fantastic covers! Really like them!

So many good comics lately!

Loved the Doctor Strange, Captain Marvel and Lloyd B. Cole stuff!

(I should have some stuff coming during the week -- ASM Annuals 7 & 8, and ASM 104 & 106.)

--Tom
    My Favorites: Daredevil, Hawkeye, Superior Spider-Man, Ultimate Spider-Man

Almost Done Collecting ASM: Want issues 1, 3, 4, 8, 11, and 18 - Ann. 1 & 2

Kicking the hornet's nest Jezebel Bond's Avatar

Traded one of my Midtown Spidey books, which cost me $12, for one of these, still sealed...retails for $99.95. It clocks in at almost 1000 pages...

1 Kings 21:23

And of Jezebel also spake the LORD, saying, The dogs shall eat Jezebel by the wall of Jezreel.