Page 15 of 211 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718192565115 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by DCIndexer View Post
    Three of the four stories have been reprinted in more affordable issues:
    "The Phantom Duel" Unexpected #157 (1974)
    "The Sorcerer's Handcuffs" Unexpected #132 (1972)
    "The Hand of Doom" Strange Adventures #202 (1967)
    Sweet! Thanks for the info. There's a decent sized local con here coming up the end of March, I will have to keep an eye out for those when I go.

-M
    A lunatic is easily recognized...You can tell him by the liberties he takes with common sense...and by the fact that sooner or later he brings up the Templars.
    -Umberto Eco

Quote Originally Posted by JerryinChicago View Post
    Nice books here--they look very minty! I think I can even smell the wet ink. Love the late Silver/early Bronze era.

Did you get a good deal, or did you have to pay guide prices or so? I've really not tried very hard to shop at conventions.
    For most of the good stuff I paid around 20-25% below guide, so no screaming deals but not bad. I did get some books from dollar boxes though, including some Justice League.

Another day, another purchase. Today's haul is a lot of 6 issues of Jimmy Olsen. Though, I already have one of them. So it's 5 issues if Jimmy Olsen for $15 shipped, or a cool $3 each.

At last, Boy Comics finally gets its own website!

50% off sale on Marvel Masterworks.

I got, over the last couple weeks:

Golden Age Sub-Mariner Vol. 1 (tpb): Awesome. Awesome, awesome, awesome, neat-o, awesome. Breezy and funny and never, ever boring or half-hearted. Also LONG - 20 pages is the norm, and one story is 40. Even the Angel strips are crack-killer.

X-Men Vol. 5 (tpb): Silver Age. Awful, awful, awful, awful, Hey, Steranko, cool, awful. I see why this book was cancelled - The Don Heck Werner Roth team don't do each other any favors, Arnold Drake is working at about 1/300th of his Doom Patrol peak, and having back-up origin stories means we have to slog through two terrible stories instead of just one. Besides Steranko, I did like the George Tuska/Jerry Seigel (!) back-up stories at the end.

Atlas Era Tales of Suspense Vol. 1 (Hc): Good fun - I liked watching the transition from science fiction to giant monster stories over the course of a year. And Stan had some inventory left in the drawer, so there's a much greater artistic variety than in later volumes. You get Kirby, Ditko, Paul Reinman - But Bill Everett, Al Williamson, and Carl Burgos* all pop up. (Major editing snafu: EVERY story in the table of contents is listed as "Tales to Astonish # 5" or "Tales to Astonish # 9." All of them.)

* I'm pretty good at guess the artist in these volumes, but I can never recognize Burgos'. He's GOOD, but just not particularly distinctive to me.

Golden Age Daring Mystery Vol. 2 (HC): The Fin, the Blue Diamond (Actually one of my favorite super-heroes), Tiger Man, the Silver Scorpion, Captain Daring, Dynaman, the Thunderer, Mr. Millions, Tigax who turned into Tiger Boy, Someone the magician, The Falcon, Marvel Boy, Citizen V, Captain Someone who was drawn by Fletcher Hanks - I read this over the past two days and can't remember half of the characters who show up. This was suposedly a continuing anthology title but every issue features an average of five new strips out of seven. Lots of re-purposed comic strips in the beginning, which give way to (much better) material designed for comic books in the end. I can definitely tell why Everett, Burgos, and especially Simon and Kirby are the stars of the line - The latters story's are so much bigger in scope than everyone else's. I really wish the series hadn't been cancelled so we could see how Captain Daring escaped being hypnotized by Hitler-who-time-travelled-to-the-future-after-he-lost-the-war-in-1942 and forced to take over the world. Favorite concepts: The Challenger, who challenges villains to a death duel with the weapon of their choice, Citizen V. who organizes underground resistance in Nazi-occupied territory, and the Thunderer with a Voice Like Thunder in weird-ass creeky lettering. Also the Silver Scorpion, because she's a woman and that's WAY novel in 1940s superhero books.

Defenders Vol. 2. (HC): Steve Englehart-in-the-mid-seventies is damnear my favorite superhero writer ever, so I figure I should check out the one series I haven't read. Sadly, this book is about half-consumed by the Avengers Defenders war, which I HAVE read. Although I liked it better this time than last time I read it in trade. I'm about 2/3rds through with this one: We've still got a Squadron Supreme and A Brotherhood of Evil Mutants story to go.

Also on the docket: Atlas Era Marvel Heroes Vol. 3 (HC) (Reprinting '50s Bill Everett Sub-Mariner stories, yay!) and Doctor Strange Vol. 2 (TPB) , which reprints the last few Ditko stories and then a hodgepodge of artists and writers - Including Bill Everett. I haven't read any Doctor Strange between Ditko leaving the strip and Frank Brunner starting the strip, so I'm curious if these'll be any good.
    MarkAndrew at Comics Should Be Good
    All my life, my Great Dream has been to grow a triangular head - Roy Thomas

Couldn't help it. I have a Strange Tales #110 (1st Dr. Strange) CGC 6.0 OW/WH and the last 2 Dr. Strange books I needed were #111 and #120. Yesterday there was a CGC #111 6.0 on ebay and now it's gone. So instead I grabbed the 5.0:

With Marvel hopefully making a Dr. Strange flick these books are already starting to go through the roof, so I'm getting what I can when I can. I don't have a #112-#113, but for some reason the good Dr. isn't in those issues. I do have a nice #114 and #115 though...
    - pmpknface

"Webs Away!!!"
    Read My CBR Articles!

Quote Originally Posted by pmpknface View Post
    Couldn't help it. I have a Strange Tales #110 (1st Dr. Strange) CGC 6.0 OW/WH and the last 2 Dr. Strange books I needed were #111 and #120. Yesterday there was a CGC #111 6.0 on ebay and now it's gone. So instead I grabbed the 5.0:

With Marvel hopefully making a Dr. Strange flick these books are already starting to go through the roof, so I'm getting what I can when I can. I don't have a #112-#113, but for some reason the good Dr. isn't in those issues. I do have a nice #114 and #115 though...

Very nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Harris View Post
    I just bought a lot of silver age DC books, including that Superboy #110 I mentioned earlier. They haven't arrived yet, but the haul is thus:

Star Spangled War Stories #135
    Lois Lane #64
    Superman #209
    Superboy #110, 140, 147, 154, 160, 163, 164, 176
    Jimmy Olsen #97, 99, 102, 111, 114, 118, 120

Received these today! Very happy with my purchase. Though, honestly, getting into collecting Superman family stuff is like falling into a black hole. There's no end to it.

Very nice!
    Thanks! I kinda wanted the 6.0 that was up, but the only thing holding me back was the cream / off-white page quality. This one is less but has better pages. I'll take it for being $20 less and likely under guide - let alone under what will be under market value as of 2 days ago.

And FYI to non CGC people: I've already read these stories and own them in readable format 2 or 3 times over. This is just to own the original thing.
    - pmpknface

"Webs Away!!!"
    Read My CBR Articles!

Nice stuff Scott! Those covers are just insane by themselves. Have you seen any of the Comics Should be Good articles lately? They've been showing how some of that DC era stuff is just so insane and wrong.

Love the Wood inks on the Supes on the moon cover! :)
    - pmpknface

"Webs Away!!!"
    Read My CBR Articles!

Well, if you lowball enough lots on ebay, eventually you're bound to win something that surprises you.

Case in point - I just won this lot on ebay for $10, including shipping:

I already have the Wonder Woman and Adventure issues, but obviously the big reason I was bidding on this is in the upper right corner. The photo is pretty blurry, but that's a low grade copy of Action Comics #255 from 1959, which is the fifth appearance of Supergirl and the third appearance of Bizarro. I had bid a bit more than the winning price ended up being as I was sure there would be some competition for this one and I really wanted it. Needless to say, I am pretty surprised to get it so cheaply. Woo-hoo!

Low grade Silver Age/Bronze Age is actually pretty common. Factor in many people getting rid of their collections and its quite easy to find bargains.

Modus omnibus in rebus Roquefort Raider's Avatar

Newkadia having a 30% off sale a little while ago, I ordered a few things to fill holes in some runs:

Untold Legends of the Batman #1, with surprising synergy from John Byrne and Jim Aparo on art. It's a pity those two gentlemen didn't become a regular team, because they both played to each other's strengths. Aparo is, I believe, the only artist who can draw a recognizable Bruce Wayne face. I mean, when he draws Bruce, I'll recognize him; anybody else, it's just a good-looking guy with black hair. The script by Len Wein was also pretty good, even if it was perforce pretty expository; a reallyt good introduction to Batman and his continuity pre-Crisis.

The 'Nam #7, 12 and 13, and I'll stop there because I now have all the Michael Golden issues. The script by Doug Murray is however very engaging, and this is a series I loved far, far more than I ever expected to. Not at all the glorification of the military I was expecting from a Reagan-Bush era comic, and not a counterculture condemnation of it either. Strong stories about realistic people in a difficult situation, which is what good war comics often are.

Dreadstar #19 and 20, because they were cheap and you never get enough Starlin Dreadstar. Oh, and Malibu's Dreadstar #5, because it's the last one I needed to have the complete run. I don't much like this miniseries deconstructing the "real" Dreadstar run, but hey... it's got good Ernie Colon art!
    People in white coats (science cartoons, updated daily) | Art Blog

Kicking the hornet's nest Jezebel Bond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roquefort Raider View Post
    Newkadia having a 30% off sale a little while ago, I ordered a few things to fill holes in some runs:
    Hmmm, even with Big30...Millie the Model is still a bit pricey and so far, all the eBay grabs have been for considerably less...but at least it's another option.
    1 Kings 21:23

And of Jezebel also spake the LORD, saying, The dogs shall eat Jezebel by the wall of Jezreel.

honestly, getting into collecting Superman family stuff is like falling into a black hole. There's no end to it.
    This is so very hyperbolically true.

Ooh... a new paradox...
    Anyway, it is cool for you to acquire acrimony of crumbling time on blast this website.
    --best spam ever

Lunatic On The Grass pinkfloydsound17's Avatar
    Dark side of the moon (Ontario, Canada to be exact)

Picked the following up, as well as Batman The Cult part 1 and Long Halloween #6 for $15 shipped. Not the best deal, but it was money made of other comics and I really want to complete my run of Batman The Cult, Long Halloween and the Year One arc.

But trending along with the bargains posted, a bought Detetcive Comics 416 from a guy. He mentioned having the following for sale as well:

Brave and Bold #92, 97, 104, 105
    Batman #231, #251, 256, 376, 398, 412, 414, 445, 489, 656
    Detective Comics #352, 373, 426, 428, 429, 430, 434, 436, 443, 460

He threw all of these in with my orignal win for $30 total shipped and all! Would like to point out that yes, there is a copy of #251. He says it is beat up but still what are thr odds of me getting 2 in the past 2 months for next to nothing! I am happy, pictures will come when they arrive.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails det488.jpg   yr1.jpg