Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
    Now, tell about the revenue numbers again because the kids are still waiting for anything from WB&DC that's not coming from another Batman movie.
    Kids arent waiting for anything, the just buy whatever they think is cool and within their parents financial reach.

The curious one.

Well, at least that Hippolyta looks like a Greek Mythological Figure coming straight from her own legends ready to kick some asses instead of a weeping mother full of regrets living in an ostracized culture of cave women who became victim of a cheated wife whom was also her former main Goddess and Creator.

In fact, DC's Hyppolita is a second hander. Instead of fight against evil by herself she outsource the job to her daughter Xena, i mean, Diana. And why ? Because she was too busy helping her cave women sisters to develop the most recent cutting edge (literally) advances in fire, stone and twiggy technology because Ancient and Medieval high tech was not cool enough for them, No Sir, they must equalize themselves with the Warrior Princess standard model of mythological cultures, do you remember the Amazons from Xena Warrior Princess right ?

You know, at this point i'm really starting to miss JMS Amazons in the Sewerage. They could be primitive but at least they live in the city, maybe 20 to 200 feet bellow the city but still in the city.

Quote/

Lex Luthor: [in Luthor's underground hideout] Miss Teschmacher, how many girls do you know who have a Park Avenue address like this one?
    Miss Teschmacher: [sarcastically] Park Avenue address? Two hundred feet *below*?
    Perhaps, but how long before this Hypolita turns evil, becomes a thug for the government, is driven insane to fuel a mega-event, perhaps has her mind replaced by the mind of a supervillain or is turned gay to increase her market potential?

When did the marvel version of Hippolyta come back to life? Last time she was seen her head had be cut off.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_S View Post
    Perhaps, but how long before this Hypolita turns evil, becomes a thug for the government, is driven insane to fuel a mega-event, perhaps has her mind replaced by the mind of a supervillain or is turned gay to increase her market potential?
    Are you talking about the New 52's Hyppolita a.k.a. Hyppolita Clay or the Fearless Defenders' Hyppolita a.k.a. the one who will most certainly kick your ass if you dare to call her Hyppo ?

Quote Originally Posted by Sterling View Post
    When did the marvel version of Hippolyta come back to life? Last time she was seen her head had be cut off.
    As already established several times in comics even for the most ludicrous of reasons : Death and heads cut off are just a few in a long list of several minor inconveniences.
    Last edited by TheShadow; 01-08-2013 at 12:59 PM.

BANNED

Are you talking about the New 52's Hyppolita a.k.a. Hyppolita Clay or the Fearless Defenders' Hyppolita a.k.a. the one who will most certainly kick your ass if you dare to call her Hyppo ?
    Well the JSA, if I remember correctly, nicknamed Hippolyta; Polly. But Marvel's might be more intolerant...that said she is being played for laughs if she's the one with the 'Fearless Defenders' logo tatooed on her back.

That tatoo is probably just for the cover and I doubt Marvel is playing with Hippolyta just for laughs, there is an audience out there for real female superheroines and they are tackling the matter more boldly than DC ever did in the past recent years.

BANNED

That tatoo is probably just for the cover and I doubt Marvel is playing with Hippolyta just for laughs, there is an audience out there for real female superheroines and they are tackling the matter more boldly than DC ever did in the past recent years.
    How? By cancelling every book they put out that was helmed by a woman?

DC has had female solo and team books going for years, Marvel is just catching up now.

Roll up the PARTITION plz Imraith Nimphais's Avatar

That is Marvel this is DC...These are two different characters. That Hyppolyta is not WW's mother...(who is still a clay statue, btw thanks to Hera). Ergo...I foresee no problems, wot-so-ever.
    Sun and Moon
    Ororo Munroe...God's own X-MAN
    Storm deserves her very own solo ongoing...unfortunately..."Limited minds place limits on everything but their own foolishness." (aja_c.)

That's utter BS.

Take a look at November's Top 100 from Diamond. The majority of DC's females place in the Top 100.
    Marvel's females litter the bottom or have fallen off. They're no more real than DC's females, and certainly no more established. The culture at Marvel just doesn't support those books and Marvel hasn't backed any (either?) of those books they way they've backed Avengers and X-Men. Double-shipping doesn't help low sellers like Journey into Mystery or Captain Marvel, either. The majority of the money will go towards multiple X-Avengers books and upcoming event comics. That's just the way it is. And that's how it's gonna be for Marvel's Birds of Prey, too.
    "A man can be happy with any woman as long as he does not love her."

Oscar Wilde

Well, at least that Hippolyta looks like a Greek Mythological Figure coming straight from her own legends
    No she doesn't. She looks like a Rastafarian. And frankly, why does what she look like matter? She got outwitted and merced by her own kid.

weeping mother full of regrets living in an ostracized culture of cave women who became victim of a cheated wife whom was also her former main Goddess and Creator.
    DC's Hippolyta was taken down by a god. Marvel's was taken down by her child.

In fact, DC's Hyppolita is a second hander. Instead of fight against evil by herself she outsource the job to her daughter Xena, i mean, Diana.
    The story of WW was never about Hippolyta, but a daughter who sought adventure in the outside world. Thanks for playing, though.

And why ? Because she was too busy helping her cave women sisters to develop the most recent cutting edge (literally) advances in fire, stone and twiggy technology because Ancient and Medieval high tech was not cool enough for them, No Sir, they must equalize themselves with the Warrior Princess standard model of mythological cultures, do you remember the Amazons from Xena Warrior Princess right ?
    You're not even making sense, now. You're just grasping at straws defending Marvel's need to find their own Wonder Woman. Their Hippolyta is just another in a line of women they've tried to mold after DC's Amazing Amazon. Hell, DC already beat them to the "Hippolyta as WW" trope, and to actual moderate success if I may so.
    In any case, good luck to Marvel on that one. I don't see any kind of Defenders book lasting long in the market.
    "A man can be happy with any woman as long as he does not love her."

Oscar Wilde

Roll up the PARTITION plz Imraith Nimphais's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FIFTY-TWO (52) View Post
    That's utter BS.

Take a look at November's Top 100 from Diamond. The majority of DC's females place in the Top 100.
    Marvel's females litter the bottom or have fallen off. They're no more real than DC's females, and certainly no more established. The culture at Marvel just doesn't support those books and Marvel hasn't backed any (either?) of those books they way they've backed Avengers and X-Men. Double-shipping doesn't help low sellers like Journey into Mystery or Captain Marvel, either. The majority of the money will go towards multiple X-Avengers books and upcoming event comics. That's just the way it is. And that's how it's gonna be for Marvel's Birds of Prey, too.
    You are absolutely on point. I wish it were otherwise and I do wish Marvel would change their "attitudes" when it comes to their female characters but alas...! Until then I will continue to support Red She Hulk, JIM (which are quite entertaining reads) and FD...for however long they are published (or until they give me truly horrid art, like CM).
    Sun and Moon
    Ororo Munroe...God's own X-MAN
    Storm deserves her very own solo ongoing...unfortunately..."Limited minds place limits on everything but their own foolishness." (aja_c.)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by FIFTY-TWO (52) View Post
    No she doesn't. She looks like a Rastafarian. And frankly, why does what she look like matter? She got outwitted and merced by her own kid.
    I have to agree, there's nothing about the outfits, old or new, of Marvel's Hippolyta that looks even remotely Greek. Unless perhaps you think Kirby's Asgardian outfits and architecture resembles anything Norse.

Old:

Modern per-mortem:

New: (which I think would look more at home in Hyboria than Greece...not to mention the hair looks more like it belongs to Artume)

She has dreadlocks, Cool !

She manage to apparently comes back from the dead, no big deal even Jesus manage to deal with that but as far as I know Sean Connery portraits the only beheaded character able to cheated death but that was an awful movie, Hyppie learn how to manage the trick without getting into an hideous script ? Double Kudos for her.

Thanks the Goddess if she is able, as a public domain character, to switch jobs between companies because DC Comics is a waste of time for female characters, these guys knows nothing about women, femininity or superheroine characters even with Gail Simone on their side and that's a shame for them, not for Gail Simone who's after all just a woman working for a really dumb company.

And I don't have delusions about Marvel, they are an evil corporation fighting against other corporations for marketing control or in this case the bookshelves and that's fine to me while they keep the so called "good intentions" of others aside. Evil always wins not just because Good is dumb, Evil wins because it's all about getting results and the results so far are good.

Ok, jokes aside women get better treatment at Marvel Comics, period. And if you think i'm wrong check Donna Troy, Stephanie Brown, Grace Choi, Raven, Helena Bertinelli and the Phoenix statuses, they deserved better.

Quote/
    Hedley Lamarr: My mind is aglow with whirling, transient nodes of thought careening through a cosmic vapor of invention.
    Taggart: DiDio.
    Hedley Lamarr: "DiDio?" "DiDio," you provincial putz?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    I have to agree, there's nothing about the outfits, old or new, of Marvel's Hippolyta that looks even remotely Greek. Unless perhaps you think Kirby's Asgardian outfits and architecture resembles anything Norse.

Old:

Modern per-mortem:

New: (which I think would look more at home in Hyboria than Greece...not to mention the hair looks more like it belongs to Artume)
    Looks like they're doing the Sentry and Moon Knight formula with Wonder Woman.

The curious one.

She has dreadlocks, Cool !

She manage to apparently comes back from the dead, no big deal even Jesus manage to deal with that but as far as I know Sean Connery portraits the only beheaded character able to cheated death but that was an awful movie, Hyppie learn how to manage the trick without getting into an hideous script ? Double Kudos for her.

Thanks the Goddess if she is able, as a public domain character, to switch jobs between companies because DC Comics is a waste of time for female characters, these guys knows nothing about women, femininity or superheroine characters even with Gail Simone on their side and that's a shame for them, not for Gail Simone who's after all just a woman working for a really dumb company.

And I don't have delusions about Marvel, they are an evil corporation fighting against other corporations for marketing control or in this case the bookshelves and that's fine to me while they keep the so called "good intentions" of others aside. Evil always wins not just because Good is dumb, Evil wins because it's all about getting results and the results so far are good.

Ok, jokes aside women get better treatment at Marvel Comics, period. And if you think i'm wrong check Donna Troy, Stephanie Brown, Grace Choi, Raven, Helena Bertinelli and the Phoenix statuses, they deserved better.

Quote/
    Hedley Lamarr: My mind is aglow with whirling, transient nodes of thought careening through a cosmic vapor of invention.
    Taggart: DiDio.
    Hedley Lamarr: "DiDio?" "DiDio," you provincial putz?
    I think if we start comparing a list of how badly female characters have been treated in both companies we'll need to add some memory to this board. However while the characters you mention have been shuffled off into limbo for the most part, they fare better I think than Tigra or the Wasp did at Bendis hands. Right now DC has Batwoman, Batgirl, Wonder Woman, Birds of Prey, Catwoman and will have Katana soon, marvel has Captain (Ms) Marvel, Red She-Hulk and upcoming Fearless Defenders with their Wonder Woman knock off. Wonder Woman, Birds of Prey and Catwoman have been around for years in continuing publication, Captain (Ms.) Marvel and Red She-Hulk have barely been around for a year. In terms of staying with female characters DC has done far better than marvel.