Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 362
  1. #46
    Elder Member BrotherUnitNo_4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    MARYLAND
    Posts
    13,149

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crimsonspider89 View Post
    The thing is most people who read it and give it negative reviews and such aren't buying it. They may of bought #1 but they are not buying any other issues. People just read it in the store or borrow it. So the activity is a lie.
    That's just anecdotal evidence that ignores that most people who read it and gave it a positive review probably picked up issue 2, which got wider approval over issue one.
    Currently reading She-Hulk, Deadpool, Swamp Thing, Ms. Marvel

    Probation: Ghost Rider, Loki: LoA, Secret Avengers

    Looking forward to All-New Ultimates, Flash Gordon and Doctor Mirage.

  2. #47
    Here, I can build. Marveluted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Parliament of Doom
    Posts
    464

    Default

    A lot of people on the forums get really invested in particular supporting characters, almost entirely for the sake of doing so. I love characters, but I love writers more. If a character dies, I can go back and read issues where they're not dead (I'm looking at you Banshee!).

    Having said that, I can't wait to watch fictional children murder each other out of desperation. I'd even support a highlander-style "there can be only one" version of a legacy character or derivation thereof setup. ONE Hawkeye. ONE Wolverine. Only ONE character with "Marvel" in the name (Marvelman, old dead Captain Marvel, Blue Marvel, Marvel Boy/Protector, Captain Carol Danvers Marvel, etc.). ONE Spider-man. And especially ONE Hulk! Deathmatch 'em all I say!
    "When even one American - who has done nothing wrong - is forced by fear to shut his mind and close his mouth - then all Americans are in peril."- Harry S. Truman

  3. #48
    Member Jakerose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Mars ♥
    Posts
    672

    Default

    WHY



  4. #49
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    378

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jakerose View Post
    No the evil that does not get explained is way more treating then the evil that does most of the time.
    Not when its a villian thats been previously established, like Arcade.
    Wonder Man > Wonder Woman

    All of entertainment can be boiled down to either Sex or Death

    No amount of modern revisionism by the vocal internet minority can change the good work Bendis has done.

  5. #50
    New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    47

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jakerose View Post
    WHY


    Man, remember how AWESOME George Perez was in his prime. Untouchable.

  6. #51
    Viridescent Time_to_Zap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The broccoli aisle
    Posts
    6,258

    Default

    I am pumped!!! I'm loving this series so far. Keep writing, Dennis...and just remember:

    "Before you save anyone else, you have to save yourself."
    ~Gregory Maguire

  7. #52
    Member Jakerose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Mars ♥
    Posts
    672

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonage2ftw View Post
    Not when its a villian thats been previously established, like Arcade.
    The reason for me that I can take Arcade serious is that I do not know the upper limit of his power and I know very little about murder world so far.

  8. #53
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    136

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Majin Gojira View Post
    I was just reminded of something: Apparently, Hopeless think that what he did with Mettle and Hazmat was a standard Women in Refrigerators thing, or why that trope is reviled.

    "But Mettle was a guy!" -- Eh, doesn't matter. Trope still applies. Gender doesn't play into it as far as I'm concerned.
    Well, the whole trope is based on gender.

  9. #54
    Pure Hellcatnip Lady_Alternate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Over Here
    Posts
    15,144

    Default

    I can't take any future comments or criticism seriously from anyone who thought the health bars were present in-character.

    Most "criticism" being put forward is "I hate this because RARRRRR" and the rest that tries to get past that is nitpicking over minor details or trying to state personal opinion as objective fact.

    People love this book. They love it because its well written, has excellent art that goes hand in hand with the narrative, and a story that is exceeding its origins and pitch.

    You might hate it, but you're no more in the "right" than anyone else and the moaning is getting tiresome.
    Last edited by Lady_Alternate; 01-07-2013 at 12:38 PM.
    Women are beautiful. But we're not here for your goddamn titillation.- junesdisco

  10. #55
    Curiosity Seaker Majin Gojira's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    883

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jakerose View Post
    The reason for me that I can take Arcade serious is that I do not know the upper limit of his power and I know very little about murder world so far.
    Well, I've said early on that ignorance was Arena's greatest hope and some of the polling I did supports that to a degree. If Arcade was new and so was the cast, I'd probably complain a lot less, if at all.

    I can't take any future comments or criticism seriously from anyone who thought the health bars were present in-character.
    Correction: I thought it would be better if they were in character. There's a difference. Regardless, I'd rather cop to being wrong than remain mired in a bad stance.

    My bad, folks. I read it wrong. Could I be reading other things wrong? Certainly! Won't cop to it without evidence, of course. And this little detail was an unknown from the start.

    Most "criticism" being put forward is "I hate this because RARRRRR" and the rest that tries to get past that is nitpicking over minor details or trying to state personal opinion of objective fact.
    Glad I'm doing my best to cull those, but I doubt you agree with that since that comment seems almost a direct reference to my personage. Which is why I'm responding in longform like this, as your post is almsot the opposite of what you claim the negative comments are. "I LOVE THIS BOOK BECAUSE RAAARRRRR!!!"

    People love this book.
    And that's okay. I can't stress that enough. Loving a book does not make it good. Blinded by love is as bad as being blinded by hate and I try to avoid either.

    They love it because its well written,
    Obviously I disagree, leaning it towards "Mediocre". If it was well written, there would be a bit of snappy dialogue that is easily quote-able, a stand out joke or moment that didn't rely on visuals, but words alone. If you can't articulate why something is good, perhaps it's best you don't try and argue it.

    That said, I'd love for someone to articulate their love with specifics. Like I do below.

    has excellent art that goes hand in hand with the narrative,
    Ya know, I can't agree more. Kev Walker is great for gritty, dirty stories, and the colorists work being muted, dark colors is a genius choice. I especially enjoyed the filtering in #2 for the flashbacks. Blue. Yellow. Red. This wouldn't get half the praise it has if it weren't for the art. (Now, if someone could do that for the writing, I'd probably shut up. . . or argue back, I dunno.)

    And now I am picturing Arena drawn by Greg Land.

    Oh god, what have I done.

    and a story that is exceeding its origins and pitch.
    There's no symbolic portion of worth yet, but it is a bit to early to judge that portion either way.

    You might hate it, but you're no more in the "right" than anyone else and the moaning is getting tiresome.
    The moaning is what's feeding Arena threads. Without them, they'd die! You want Arena thread's to die?! I thought you liked Arena!
    "Curse you, Occam's Razor! You have betrayed me!"

    Reviewing is a lot like paleontology: the evidence is there, but no one seems to agree on it.

  11. #56
    Here, I can build. Marveluted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Parliament of Doom
    Posts
    464

    Default



    "When even one American - who has done nothing wrong - is forced by fear to shut his mind and close his mouth - then all Americans are in peril."- Harry S. Truman

  12. #57
    Veteran Member gregyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    5,914

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marveluted View Post


    This needs to become a thing. Someone make a Xavier one.

  13. #58
    Curiosity Seaker Majin Gojira's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    883

    Default

    I like this meme. I can get behind this new meme.

    I can picture it being used on various undead to or black lanterns too.
    "Curse you, Occam's Razor! You have betrayed me!"

    Reviewing is a lot like paleontology: the evidence is there, but no one seems to agree on it.

  14. #59
    Veteran Member Hypestyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    5,678

    Default

    Kid Briton? Who?

  15. #60
    Here, I can build. Marveluted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Parliament of Doom
    Posts
    464

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gregyo View Post
    This needs to become a thing. Someone make a Xavier one.
    You got it, gregyo!



    All credit to Jakerose for the initial Supergirl one. Now somebody do Banshee!

    EDIT: Got the credit wrong at first.
    Last edited by Marveluted; 01-07-2013 at 12:56 PM.
    "When even one American - who has done nothing wrong - is forced by fear to shut his mind and close his mouth - then all Americans are in peril."- Harry S. Truman

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •