View Poll Results: Is DotF enjoyable.

Voters
174. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • It's art work and it's replaced my Bible and/or copy of Brief History of the Universe

9 5.17%
  • It's really top notch stuff

50 28.74%
  • It's pretty good

47 27.01%
  • Meh.

44 25.29%
  • It's pretty bad

13 7.47%
  • It really should be thrown away

8 4.60%
  • I'm ready to lay seige on the DC Headquarters to get my money back

3 1.72%
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Unreasonably Opinionated Conway's Avatar

Question Is Death of the Family compelling?

Since it's an opinion site, and the opinions of DotF seem to have a wider range than normal, I'd thought I'd try to see what everyone is feeling about this arc.

Most of you know my stance on it. I think Snyder has talent and I've enjoyed some of his stuff but this arc borders on unreadable.

Let's hear your opinions, especially if you're the person that is kind of indifferent because most of us that are talking about it just love or hate it.

I would be okay with it if it didn't hijack every other book in the batline.

Now I have to wait for it to be over if I want to read something else in batman's world.

I hope night of the riddlers isn't next.
    Grandparents dead - please no jokes

make mine DC, thanks

I'm enjoying it for the most part though I hope there are no crossovers with other Bat titles for the foreseeable future. Two one right after the other is quite enough and I don't think dealing with the Riddler should require one.
    Characters come and go, revamped and revisited. But as long as you enjoyed them, remember them and continue to appreciate them, then that character, your hero or heroine, will always exist.

I used to hate the term "Villain Sue". Because I'd never really come across on before.

There's good material (Dick being horrified at Bruce's keeping up the pretence of "Bruce Wayne's butler" being the kidnap victim was a lovely piece of characterisation for both of them), but if I have to read one more issue about how The Joker Is Smarter Than Everyone And He Can Be Everywhere And Knows Everything And Never Loses with the Bat Family scrabbling about like frightened mice.... I'm gonna scream.

It integrates it's tie-ins better than Night of the Owls, to be fair, with the affected "family" turning up in the main plot. But keeping the individual tie-ins seperate means that more than a year in there's still no relationship between most of these characters that we're meant to believe are a "family". The more integrated approach to "H'el on Earth" - whatever you think of the story - is at least letting the personal dynamics flourish more.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Claude View Post
    I used to hate the term "Villain Sue". Because I'd never really come across on before.
    Same here, and I hate most of the crap terminology from TVTropes people keep linking here.

But at least now I understand the idea behind that term. Joker here is basically speaking from the writer's interviews.

There are so many options that I'm not sure how to vite.

I'll say this- It has us talking doesn't it? Several threads have popped up just here on CBR to talk about things involving DoTF. So I would say, love it or hate it, it is compelling.
    Chill!

I gave it a meh. The Batgirl issues have been good, probably the best the book has been to date. But the actual concept hasn't inspired me enough to pick up any other bat-titles, which I'm assuming is the point of crossovers like these.

"The Tardis, when working properly, is capable of many amazing things. Not unlike myself."

It's not the best thing ever, but I will continue to read it. I have not read any of the other crossover issues yet...other than Batgirl.

BANNED

the last issue of Batman & Robin was Definiatly the best Tie in, regardless if its what you want, it gives us the most horrific vision of the joker of the crossover, both from a artistic point of view, but also the writing

I have been reading it and all the crossovers and got to say ive been really enjoying it, also alot more than the court of owls story. Ive found myself really looking forward to the next issue coming out which has to be a good thing.

i agree with winnebago about it being better than court of owls

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Asthma View Post
    i agree with winnebago about it being better than court of owls
    Actually, I feel the buildup in COO was better. I just think the ending to DOTF will be better. COO had a bad ending.

I probably feel this way because it ended on a low note. I might need to just reread COO

I am picking up the cross-overs for this same as I did for the Night of Owls and I'd say the DoTF crossovers are WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better. There is actually good character development in the crossovers. I especially enjoyed the interaction with Damian in B&R and Harley in SS. I originally hated what the relaunch did to Harley but the crossover is making her interesting to me again.
    Chill!

I gave it a meh. The Story itself isn't bad at all, the only problem I have with it is the flow of the story between the various crossover books. I know the line was you can read any of the books as their own story, but by incorporating Jason, Tim, Dick and Barbara in the main book it forces them to put the other books into the flow of Batman, the problem is they don't fit properly- I've tried. Jason can not have made it to the cave before the Joker moved on Him as RHATO plots his movements right up to meeting the Joker and Tim, Same with Barbara her story appears to be done by Batman #15 and even refers to it in the past tense (need to check) and Nightwing happens at the same time it appears with Barbara no the worse for the Joker meeting. Little messed there I think.