Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Wonder Woman Is 'Ripe' For TV, Says A Regretful David E. Kelley

Acknowledging mistakes in his rejected 2011 pilot, prolific producer David E. Kelley insists Wonder Woman can still work on television, saying The CW is "smart to try it" with the planned origin story "Amazon."

Full article here.

Honestly he just didn't get it. He was trying to merge the character into he genre he felt confortable with and wasn't going to please fans of either. When your base is the issue you should scrap it before its to late. What was he going to do, drastically change the show in the second season. Come on.

I don't know... after seeing the pilot, if it had been tweaked just a bit... it could have worked. It wasn't 180 off from being good, just about 20-30 off target.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Clark View Post
    I don't know... after seeing the pilot, if it had been tweaked just a bit... it could have worked. It wasn't 180 off from being good, just about 20-30 off target.
    That and pilot episodes usually aren't very good. Sure you'd have rare ones that struck gold but the majority of the time the pilot episodes just look mediocre.
    "It isn't jumping the shark if you never come back down." Chuck

I don't think so, not with the lead he had. In the scene that was widely published, she didn't make me believe she was athletic enough to be this physical paragon.
    Stay away from the chimps. You can't reason with them and you'll just end up with monkey shit all over your clothes.

Internet hypocrisy #47: Being the undisputed scourge of trolls until the troll supports your side of the debate and then becoming silent.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadstar View Post
    I don't think so, not with the lead he had. In the scene that was widely published, she didn't make me believe she was athletic enough to be this physical paragon.
    That's the problem actually. No matter what actress one chooses she's going to end up being DOA because the fans have their own perfect image of what WW should look like and no actress would measure up to that.
    "It isn't jumping the shark if you never come back down." Chuck

I think that if the rabid fanboys would just sit back and give it a chance to develop then it could be a hit with whichever actress they choose. Unfortunately, fanboys being fanboys... that ain't gonna happen.

I think that if the rabid fanboys would just sit back and give it a chance to develop then it could be a hit with whichever actress they choose. Unfortunately, fanboys being fanboys... that ain't gonna happen.
    Kelly wasn't making the series for fanboys/girls he was making it for a network television audience who have a whole different set of expectations from a network tv show. At the time of the pilot WW's comic wasn't a big seller and every writer that came on tried stuff that never really caught on it any big way. So it totally made sense for him to try another take on the character. I think Kelly got some stuff wrong but those things would've become obvious as things went on and they were easy to do away with. I think with a few tweaks with characters, motivations, and story direction, Kelly could've done a solid entertaining network tv WW show.

Im sure they were concerned with the 40k people who read the comics that went nuts, and not the everyone who thought it looked shit for being a bad show.

That pilot was hilariously bad. It was worse than The Cape. Basically nothing that was actually shot would have been workable.
    "Family Guy jumped the shark when i stopped getting high every time i watched it. " - Alex

Quote Originally Posted by Lancerman View Post
    What was he going to do, drastically change the show in the second season. Come on.
    Heh: nice one.
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    Im sure they were concerned with the 40k people who read the comics that went nuts, and not the everyone who thought it looked shit for being a bad show.
    General people who might have watched the show never got the chance because the extremely vocal comics fan base went ballistic on every photo, every little plot detail, etc... This may be a case where if the pilot was on the bubble for the network, reading rabid fanboy hate for the show pushed it in the "do not air" direction. Why bother if they are going to have a perceived up-hill battle to get good ratings? It isn't as if the pilot actually aired and they had any real ratings to go by.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    That pilot was hilariously bad. It was worse than The Cape. Basically nothing that was actually shot would have been workable.
    I disagree. Much of what was shot was fine. Again, just a few tweaks and it could have been really good. And it was an interesting idea, Diana running a company to make money off of her image so she could afford to do the good work she wanted/needed to do. The Fanboys though couldn't see that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    True. The whole thing was just so poorly made.

No wonder it hadn't been picked.