Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This was a good issue. Layman is definitely creating a niche with this title
    I don't know how long emperor penguin is gonna last but he seems like a great villain on the come up.
    Currrently Reading- Suicide Squad,Justice League,Batwoman,Batman,Batman and Robin,Detective Comics, Wonder Woman,Batman Eternal,Mighty Avengers,All new X-factor,Justice League 3000 and Harley Quinn

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    I don't know how long emperor penguin is gonna last but he seems like a great villain on the come up.
    I like/hate this new Penguin...

I like him because I like the idea of watching a thug work his way up the ladder, and I kind of like the character. I'd like to see him stick around.

I hate him because I'm afraid he's going to replace Oswald for a long time and basically be the new Penguin. Oswald just started to get awesome again! I don't want him replaced with basically the same character, only slighty tweaked and attractive looking. I'm afraid he's some f*ed up attempt at making the penguin "cooler." god I hope that isn't the case. There's plenty of room for both characters, as long as this Emperor Penguin angle is dropped. Also Emperor Penguin so quickly assuming Oswald is a dead man is SSSOOO dumb.

Don't think I hate the book. I actually think the writing and art is pretty great, I'm just concered over Cobblepots future.

Sry for spelling errors, typin this on my phone ;)
    Volstagg Fact #1 Volstagg is not hung like a horse... horses are hung like Volstagg!

I LOVE this book. I love how Layman has so many intertwining threads that will come together in the future.
    I find all of these characters he is creating really interesting too.
    I USUALLY don't care about these villains that shouldn't mean anything, but I do care about them and I feel like everyone is more meaningful then they would be in any other book.

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    Yes Layman's Detective Comics is everything that I want from a Detective Comic

Detective Comics #16

Plot:

When the Joker is out and about, crazy fanboys of his roam the streets. Batman is on the case to put them all down and figure out, what the hell the League of Smiles is.

Our Hero:

Nothing like being crazy prepared for anything.

Our Villains:

“Is it safe?”

Our Side Characters:

So does this mean Damien now is in charge of watching certain twitter accounts?

Action:

Love how he just doesn’t care and just tosses tons of Batarangs into them.

Dialogue:

Oh Batman, you and your wit.

Art:

That’s surprisingly less gruesome than I thought.

Most Memorable Moment:

Of course he has a jetpack. Why wouldn’t he?

Final Page:

Didn't I see you in Assassin’s Creed II?

What We Should Take from This Comic:

When the Joker comes out to play, it brings out the darkness in humanity from all walks of life. Some not serious and some very serious.

What We Do Take From This Comic:

Surprisingly lack of blood for how much skin was removed.

Yay or Nay?

Yay

Also, Gotham has some very interesting crime bosses. I haven't seen such a cast of silly and weird looking individuals since Batman RIP.

This was an EXCELLENT issue, and is exactly the kind of thing I want to see with a tie in. If all of them were bursting with this kind of creative energy I would no doubt be loving it.

Layman once again delivers complete stories in both the backups and the main features, and they're full of interesting characters. Having joker pop up with overcomplicated schemes in 12 different places throughout death of the family doesn't make him seem more threatening or larger of life, but the legacy that layman creates in this certainly does. He comes up with so many fun joker henchman types, and I can't wait to read more about the league of smiles.

As long as he focuses on the villains instead of the batfamily, this title is top shelf quality each time.
    Grandparents dead - please no jokes

make mine DC, thanks

so far, i'm loving layman's run. each issue gets better and better. bit disappointed we didn't get to see what happened with ivy and clayface, but the setup towards the league of smiles and the emperor penguin backup were awesome. i'm also really liking the art, fabok's and clarke's both.

i was going to drop this book to cut down on my comics budget, but it looks like i'm gonna have to pick another title; this book is just too fun.

Quote Originally Posted by cgynadu View Post
    disappointed we didn't get to see what happened with ivy and clayface
    I'm hoping layman gets a long uninterrupted stretch after this crossover.
    Grandparents dead - please no jokes

make mine DC, thanks

This was a damn fine issue imho.

Easily my favorite issue of the new Detective Comics.

Not very Batman-centric. Maybe that's why.

I'm tired of tie ins. This is the second in a row for this series, but it was quite well. Much better than the previous issue.
    I really liked the villain at the end. Though that's probably because I have an odd fixation with plague masks.

Double Post

Quote Originally Posted by C_W View Post
    I'm tired of tie ins. This is the second in a row for this series, but it was quite well. Much better than the previous issue.
    I really liked the villain at the end. Though that's probably because I have an odd fixation with plague masks.
    It isn't really a tie-in. It just has the theme in the book. It doesn't have anything to do with Death of the Family though.

Quote Originally Posted by doordoor123 View Post
    It isn't really a tie-in. It just has the theme in the book. It doesn't have anything to do with Death of the Family though.
    It's labeled and promoted as a tie-in, though.
    Jim Zimmerman
    Co-moderator, CBR Batman Forum

Quote Originally Posted by doordoor123 View Post
    I think that one of the reasons I enjoyed the book is that while referencing the DOTF storyline, it really doesn't have much to do with it as you say, other than being a bunch of fallout resulting from it.

This is how you do a Death of the Family tie-in. No Joker dancing around with his face hanging off talking gibberish, his presence here is more than felt by his influences on others, and it's an interesting angle. The scene with the guys face was genuinely revolting, maybe because I wasn't expecting it the type of book that is Laymans Tec, but it was one of the stronger scenes from the entire DotF yet.

The Die Laughing Gang...reminded me with a touch of sadness that we'll probably never know the real Dai Laffin now...

I'm not sold on the design of the Merry Maker, looks pretty goofy, but overall yeah I'm loving this title now.