Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Insanity is colorblind Mecegirl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wagthedog View Post
    How would the reviewers know that she has had a wardrobe malfunction? If you see the finished product, there is no way of knowing that. We only know in interviews that the stuntwoman for Lynda had a wardrobe malfunction, but not Lynda herself.
    What do you mean how would they know? Ether her breasts look like they are about to pop out or they don't. It's kinda like how people comment on how low some artists draw Wonder Woman's bodice. It is a drawing, so it won't fall down, but it looks like it's about to. Also, suspension of disbelief works in odd ways. We can suspend belief for magical powers. So long as the fictional "rules" for that power stay consistent in the story, viewers will happily go along for the ride. However, if you take something that a viewer knows about, like how breasts work, and get it wrong, it can become a distraction from the story.

Either way they will have to be very careful. This is just one of those things that is harder to translate from a drawing to live action. They recently got rid of superman's red underwear for the live action film, Folks can debate if the costume still looks like Superman without them. But there have been plenty of Wonder Woman fanart that incorporates straps into the design and they still capture the essence of her original costume. If it comes down to it a creative team for a movie could come up with something good.
    Last edited by Mecegirl; 01-08-2013 at 12:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mecegirl View Post
    What do you mean how would they know? Ether her breasts look like they are about to pop out or they don't. It's kinda like how people comment on how low some artists draw Wonder Woman's bodice. It is a drawing, so it won't fall down, but it looks like it's about to. Also, suspension of disbelief works in odd ways. We can suspend belief for magical powers. So long as the fictional "rules" for that power stay consistent in the story, viewers will happily go along for the ride. However, if you take something that a viewer knows about, like how breasts work, and get it wrong, it can become a distraction from the story.

Either way they will have to be very careful. This is just one of those things that is harder to translate from a drawing to live action. They recently got rid of superman's red underwear for the live action film, Folks can debate if the costume still looks like Superman without them. But there have been plenty of Wonder Woman fanart that incorporates straps into the design and they still capture the essence of her original costume. If it comes down to it a creative team for a movie could come up with something good.
    If they have a good costume and the finished product on the screen doesn't show her breasts about to pop out, then how the hell would reviewers know anything about this, let alone comment on it.

This didn't happen on the TV show with Lynda, and you would think with advancements in technology of 30 plus years that they could manage the same on the big screen.

The curious one.

I think while costume tech has come a long way there are differences and limitations. For instance the pose on this cover would be hard pressed to duplicate in a scene.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_S View Post
    I was too young to appreciate the true magic of film editing back then :) I think my final conclusion was some sort of super glue.
    Quote Originally Posted by wagthedog View Post
    This didn't happen on the TV show with Lynda, and you would think with advancements in technology of 30 plus years that they could manage the same on the big screen.
    Double-sided tape?!

Seriously though don't most of the similar heroines wear tops with straps? Xena and Brigitte Nielsen version of Red Sonja for example. Would fans be that apposed to adding that to WW's costume for the film?
    Last edited by Ood Omega; 01-08-2013 at 02:25 PM.
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

I want shorts, and preferrably a strapless top, because it's sexy, and I like cheesecake. I could live with straps. But, I could care less if there's a wardrobe malfunction on set. What do I care? I'm not making the movie. Though some days I'm in a more "realistic" mood and think WW should have straps. I'm inconsistent. This issue is not important enough for me to be consistent ; )

Insanity is colorblind Mecegirl's Avatar

There is also the fact that the lack of straps carries too much potential to it look like a costume in real life. Like a Halloween costume. And that's great for, cosplay, not so much if one wants the audience to take the character seriously, In the same way that Superman's red trunks don't translate that well to real life. Lynda's show is an older show. We look back on it and appreciate it for what it was. I'd say that just like how Batman could never go back to the light grey/dark grey combo in live action nor can Wonder Woman go back to the classic costume in live action. Modern audiences would not take it seriously. Not "this must be dark and gritty" seriously, but "why would anyone wear that in public" seriously, or "no one could do what she does in that suit" seriously.

There is also the fact that the lack of straps carries too much potential to it look like a costume in real life. Like a Halloween costume. And that's great for, cosplay, not so much if one wants the audience to take the character seriously, In the same way that Superman's red trunks don't translate that well to real life. Lynda's show is an older show. We look back on it and appreciate it for what it was. I'd say that just like how Batman could never go back to the light grey/dark grey combo in live action nor can Wonder Woman go back to the classic costume in live action. Modern audiences would not take it seriously. Not "this must be dark and gritty" seriously, but "why would anyone wear that in public" seriously, or "no one could do what she does in that suit" seriously.
    It's been said before (even in this thread) but not everything translates well into live-action. Not only costumes, but also dialogues sometimes. Live Action films are just a different animal altogether.

I think Wonder Woman's costume can be designed the same as the comic, with more muted colors and perhaps a thicker material than suggested in some versions. The corset doesn't have to be a problem. Chiang's design hardly shows any cleavage, as opposed to some other artists that draw it just high enough to cover the nipples. This latter version IS unrealistic. Chiang's is so high that it's almost a non-issue.

Quote Originally Posted by davidgrantlloyd View Post
    Awesome pic! It's both iconic and plausible for live action. I'd definitely go along with that if the New 52 look is too tricky to do.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	95.7 KB 
ID:	106922

U cannot please everyone all the time. But it seems almost all of us geeks give this battle skirt version two thumbs up and I believe it would also go over well with general audiences. It's fierce, instantly recognizable as WW, and it wouldn't cause anyone to snicker (like the star-spangled undies inevitably would). I hope Warner Bros takes note.
    Last edited by Lafanboy; 01-08-2013 at 03:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lafanboy View Post
    U cannot please everyone all the time. But it seems almost all of us geeks give the battle skirt version two thumbs up and I believe it would also go over well with general audiences. It's fierce, it's instantly recognizable as WW, and it wouldn't cause anyone to snicker (like the star-spangled undies would). I hope Warner Bros takes note.
    However, they would snicker when she inevitably jumps or leaps or somersaults and you can see her "panties" underneath the skirt. ** tee hee tee hee *** Same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob_Olivera View Post
    However, they would snicker when she inevitably jumps or leaps or somersaults and you can see her "panties" underneath the skirt. ** tee hee tee hee *** Same thing.
    Ha ha. Did this ever happen with Xena when she did her flips? (I honestly cannot remember). Btw, Warner's should just save themselves time and trouble and pay whoever designed this amazing costume. Even the stars are tres cool. Like on her tiara, it's not some cheesy literal star, but a stylized version. Love! Also, I will say they def do need to find a way to pay homage to the star-spangled undies. Not in the JL film, but the solo WW movie or perhaps in the CW TV show. Diana sleeps in them? Hey, it could work. Lol

He also did Hippoltya. I can't find the guy name.

He did a variety of the wonder woman costume but I like his first one.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...to_album_reply
    Last edited by UsagiTsukino; 01-08-2013 at 08:10 PM.

Re: Designer

I think JMC (?) from the superherohype.com forums designed those "realistic" live action costumes for Wonder Woman and friends.

Re: Xena's Panties

Sure. I think you saw them quite frequently. Sometimes they were "brief" style, sometimes they were "short-shorts". But, in the thick of action, unless you freeze-framed the episode they were barely discernable. And they were the same "black" as her skirt, so it all kind of blended in. Of course, the dedicated costume designers actually added leather fringes/tassles to her underwear to try to make them look more "ancient Greek".

Xena did wear an "under-skirt" of sorts under all the little leather straps which also helped to maintain her modesty a little bit. I don't recall ever seeing Gabrielle's underwear, but she didn't do as many acrobatics as Xena, so that probably explains why.

So cgi the costume? It looked off in the Green lantern movie. Meanwhile the new Superman costume looks pretty good on the actor.
    All Im sayn is any design is possible.

I want a superhero costume. Not a Xena costume because it's more "believeable".

I think adding the suit in post using motion capture could work but it all depends on the design team to make in believable.
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Quote Originally Posted by UsagiTsukino View Post
    This is the costume they should follow
    Pretty much this. A couple of straps for practicality doesn't change the costume. A more detailed view of it:

Completely works, it's totally classic, there's no reasonable complaint with this sort of look that I can think of.
    Doomed Planet. Desperate Scientists. Last Hope. Kindly Couple.