Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Anyone like JJJameson's reason for hating Spidey in the 90's cartoon?

In the cartoon version, his wife was murdered by a masked man. He vows to keep the city safe from people who hide behind masks. That kinda make sense why he hates spider-man and helped create the Scorpion.

What was his reason for hating Spidey in the 616 universe?

Edit - I could see a man being paranoid about a masked avenger after his wife was murdered by an unknown man.
    Last edited by Fanofthegoblins; 01-06-2013 at 04:53 PM.

I like that explanation, but I grew-up with that series and it colors my perceptions of all things Spider-Man to the point that I still think of Kingpin as Spidey's archenemy.

I think the initial explanation was that JJ didn't like that Spider-Man was getting attention over his son.

Also I remember reading somewhere that he was just plain jealous of Spidey. I don't remember where I saw that though.

His reason for hating Spider-Man is better and more justified in the 90s cartoon.
    From now on we're poison to you Spider-Man. That's why we call ourselves... VENOM!!!

Marked for Redemption David Walton's Avatar

Zeb Wells did an excellent take entitled "The Man Behind the Moustache."

Jonah's step-dad was a war veteran and abusive alcoholic. Jonah came to distrust public 'heroes' because everyone thought his stepdad was a great guy. Then Jonah's first wife was killed while he was on assigment in Korea, and there was no hero to save her.
    "I came to the conclusion that the optimist thought everything good except the pessimist, and the pessimist thought everything bad, except himself." -- G.K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by DracoDracul View Post
    I like that explanation, but I grew-up with that series and it colors my perceptions of all things Spider-Man to the point that I still think of Kingpin as Spidey's archenemy.

I think the initial explanation was that JJ didn't like that Spider-Man was getting attention over his son.
    But Kingpin IS a Spider-villain.
    In the comic world he is better known for DD stuff but Kingpin is a Spider-character.

His whole motivation in the 90's show falls apart, though, when he blindingly trusts and worships Mysterio, a masked guy, to defeat Spider-Man, and even creates another masked guy in Scorpion.

Quote Originally Posted by GamerSlyRatchet View Post
    His whole motivation in the 90's show falls apart, though, when he blindingly trusts and worships Mysterio, a masked guy, to defeat Spider-Man, and even creates another masked guy in Scorpion.
    You could argue for the Scorpion that Jonah knew who he was behind the mask and intended him to be a hero after he was supposed to defeat Spider-Man. As for Mysterio, well a fishbowl isn't exactly a mask now is it?
    From now on we're poison to you Spider-Man. That's why we call ourselves... VENOM!!!

I thought it was too simple, especially when compared to ASM 10.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Formerly,
    Cyberman

Blog,
    What Would Spidey Do?

From ASM #10, "All my life I've been interested in only one thing -- making money! And yet, Spider-man risks his life day after day with no thought of reward. If a man like him is good -- is a hero -- then what am I? I can never respect myself while he lives! Spider-man represents everything that I'm not! He's brave, powerful and unselfish! The truth is, I envy him! [....]I can never climb to his level so all that remains for me is -- to try to tear him down -- because heaven help me -- I'm jealous of him."

Quote Originally Posted by jonrobz96 View Post
    Also I remember reading somewhere that he was just plain jealous of Spidey. I don't remember where I saw that though.
    Amazing Spidey issue 10.

A coupla fellows beat me to it...
    Last edited by Rambo, John J; 01-08-2013 at 06:42 AM. Reason: beaten to the punch
    Whats it like to be a real superhero? Find out here...

http://www.superherohype.com/forums/...d.php?t=25552]

Marked for Redemption David Walton's Avatar

Wells' backstory is more compelling than the jealousy angle Lee gave us, and more fitting with later character development.
    "I came to the conclusion that the optimist thought everything good except the pessimist, and the pessimist thought everything bad, except himself." -- G.K. Chesterton

Power, Unlimited Power MythicBrawn's Avatar

JJJ's hatred of Spider-Man always seemed irrational to me. It bordered on mania, if not outright mania. It's a wonder the Bugle stayed in business considering all the bad Spider-Man headlines. Who would pay to read the same headline multiple times a week, year after year. Spider-Man has saved him and members of his staff numerous times. He's seen it with his own eyes, yet Spider-Man is a menace. At least in the Ultimate universe, that JJJ came around and saw Spider-Man as a hero. One of the best scenes in the Ultimate universe was when Aunt May called up JJJ and blasted him for firing Peter and how the Bugle sucked.

Spider of the Shadows Assassin Spider's Avatar

I like the 90s animated and Zeb Wells' explanations for Jonah's pathological hatred of Spider-Man. It is as irrational as MythicBrawn put it, but at the same time, the idea that his hatred for Spider-Man is born of a psychological complex founded on personal tragedy and loss that still haunts him to this day and colors everything he does in life is more compelling and even sympathetic to a degree. Is he still completely off-base for projecting his own traumas onto an otherwise unconnected person who's striven to do nothing but good even in spite of the adversity and ingratitude he gets for it? Yes, but it is very much like how people in real life can be instinctively averse to someone for no other reason than something about that person reminds them of their buried inner pain, and in that respect it is actually saddeningly relatable.
    Back in black, the hunter is ready to claim his prey.

Quote Originally Posted by Venom View Post
    His reason for hating Spider-Man is better and more justified in the 90s cartoon.
    Yeah I prefer the 90s cartoon explanation myself for the same reason as the reason given in Spider-Man 10 was kinda petty imo but I do agree that the fact he liked Mysterio didn't exactly help lol.