I probably like you. Filthy Mutie's Avatar

Default Game quests/stories/missions where you play a character other than your normal one.

The title is clumsy, because it's hard to explain without referencing "The Day the Deathwing Came" in WoW.

In it, an NPC tells you a story, but instead of watching it or reading about it, you play that character in the story. There are two direct follow-ups to this particular quest, and you play the two NPCs who tell you those follow-ups.

What other games and quests who this? (It doesn't have to be as silly or as good as my example.)

X-Poster of the Month: December 2012
    X-Poster of the Month: December 2009

The Best There Is At What I Do

In Aion, there is a long solo trial that transforms you into a female Asmodean character named Kromede, to experience a story from her life. It's basically a magical dream. You keep all your character's normal skills, armor (hidden) and goodies.
    Current favorites: Claymore, Puella Magi Kazumi Magica, A Certain Scientific Railgun, Justice League, Birds of Prey

Quote Originally Posted by Yttrium View Post
    In Aion, there is a long solo trial that transforms you into a female Asmodean character named Kromede, to experience a story from her life. It's basically a magical dream. You keep all your character's normal skills, armor (hidden) and goodies.
    Yes, yes, this is good. What are others?

I feel like I've played them here and there, but I can't actually think of them.

Hm, I can't really think of anything off the top of my head. The thing that would come the closest from my experiences (and imo of course), would be when you play as Joker for a brief stint in ME2 when Shepard and the rest of the squad are off-ship and the Normandy is attacked by Collectors.

Quote Originally Posted by TsaiMeLemoni View Post
    Hm, I can't really think of anything off the top of my head. The thing that would come the closest from my experiences (and imo of course), would be when you play as Joker for a brief stint in ME2 when Shepard and the rest of the squad are off-ship and the Normandy is attacked by Collectors.
    I think that qualifies. Instead of coming back to the ship to find out something happened, you (the player) is put there.

Part-Time Pen Monkey GothamLord's Avatar

Final Fantasy VIII - Every time there was a flashback to Laguna's story.
    Avengers Alliance - GothamLord
    "My give a damn is busted"

FFIX has a short sequence where you play as the NPC Cid. It's actually rather irritating, since he's a bug at the time and there's a poorly conceived hot-and-cold minigame.
    "If you can't say anything good about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

The Force Unleashed, where you play the Prologue as a fully powered up Darth Vader.

Arkham City, where you play a few episodes as Cat-Woman.

There's that bit in Mass Effect 2 where ytou play as Joker.
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

You play as Sherry Birkin and Ada Wong in Resident Evil 2.
    "Kryptonite-laced nail polish. Isn't it too divine? Under all that steel, just a man."
    -- Cheetah, Batman: The Brave and the Bold

Well..technically in Kingdom Hearts 2 your normal character is Sora, so the parts you play as Roxas might qualify. Both Kotor games do this. True you can take control of other party members any time, but there is an event in the first game where you take control of a single character(like Jolee or Canderous). In the second game your party members get sent on a mission to Dxun(I think that was the place) while the PC is on a mission on another planet.
    A woman can move a lot faster with her skirt up than a man can with his pants down.

Thanks for all the help and participation, guys! Please keep submitting others as you think of them, if you want. (New posters are welcome, too, of course.)

The Witcher 2 had some sequences where you played as King and an Assassin, their names escape me at the moment.

All Roads Lead To Hell 666MasterOfPuppets's Avatar
    The Legendary Fortress Of Solitude, The Strangest Place On Earth

Quote Originally Posted by Filthy Mutie View Post
    The title is clumsy, because it's hard to explain without referencing "The Day the Deathwing Came" in WoW.

In it, an NPC tells you a story, but instead of watching it or reading about it, you play that character in the story. There are two direct follow-ups to this particular quest, and you play the two NPCs who tell you those follow-ups.

What other games and quests who this? (It doesn't have to be as silly or as good as my example.)
    Um, Metal Gear Solid 2?
    ... The Master Of Puppets has spoken.

Goodbye León (november 16th, 1993 - june 12th, 2009). You were, are and always will be the best friend I ever had. I will always love you and never forget you. And please, please forgive me.

Thank you for teaching me about love, patience and caring. Rest in Peace, my friend. I hope that wherever it is you are now, you can run and play as much as you want.