Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Blind pugh View Post
    I don't remember exactly when Thing became my favourite, but this is a large part of why he is:

I get chills reading this. The definitive Benjamin J. Grimm.
    Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself.

Reed Richards' Apprentice Miss Fantastic's Avatar
    The Baxter Building (The 34th story, to be precise.)

Although I can safely say that I've been a Mister Fantastic fan (I know, I know...I hear ya, peanut gallery ) for at least seventeen years, I have a difficult time pinpointing what exact moment made me develop an uber-liking towards Reed. But after sitting here thinking about it for several minutes, I'd have to go with the 1-2 knockout of F4 #200 and 236. #200 for what is still, IMO, the greatest Reed/Doom* battle ever. And #236 for being not only one of THE most AWESOME stories in overall F4 history, but also in how Reed finally figured out what was going on with 'Liddleville' and managed to get the team to help him turn the tide against Doom.

Outside of stories/moments, it helps tremendously that I've always liked 'brains over brawn' types the most out of all characters.** AND I came to realize how downright useful and cool the power of malleability can be when an immensely creative mind controls it. Overall, Reed is and has always been grossly underappeciated. And that underappreciation made all the more evident by Marvel's insistence of having Tony Stark usurp the 'Smartest Man In The Marvel Universe' title from Reed (OR Doom...I'm certainly in the camp that argues they're equal/constantly trading the 1st/2nd spots). I suppose fans like me, in all of our nuttiness, ought to thank our lucky stars that such a movement has not occurred A LOT earlier, given how underrated Reed's just about always been.

* - F4 #200 and 236 are also sizable components as to why Doom is my favorite villain. Nothing else practically comes close.

** - Which makes the Thing being my second favorite F4 member/good guy character rather ironic.
    "Honore et amore" - Richards Family Motto

The Fantastic Cometh!

SHSO - Plastic Fantastic Fungus / Lvl: 2000s / Sigs: Reed, The FF, Bruce, and The Hulks

BANNED

Every time Captain America flips off the U.S. government for failing to live up to its hype, a little part of me lets fly a girly little giggle.

When cable tv introduced me to the '67 Spider-Man cartoon in the 1970's, it became a must-see for me. Weekdays at 3:30 watching Spider-Man made me a huge fan.

Triumph and Torment, when Doom explains that he is going to use the boon that Dr Strange owes him to free his mother from Mephisto. Doom rules.
    "Chronicles defame me, chemicals enflame me! I was born to rule your world and none shall ever tame me!" Oderus Urungus

Nightcrawler. I was somewhere around 10 and immediately raided all my cousin's back issues. There have been plenty of scenes that were better over the years, but that was the one that made me love the character.

You know what, I want to show picks of certain scenes of my favorite character but it's not easy as you would think.
    Legato - Frank, Calm Down Your Nerd Rage!

BANNED

Alright, let me start this missive off with an admission: I have always been a huge fan of Marvel/Timely Golden Age material in general, and Captain America specifically. As a young kid I had a particular affinity for Bucky. What kid wouldn't want to tag along with the ultimate hero, Cap, and fight Nazis and the evil Japanese army?

This affinity turned to outright, gobsmacked LOVE when Ed Brubaker reintroduced Bucky as the Winter Soldier early on in his never- to- be topped run on Captain America. Bringing back Buck could have back-fired in so many ways, and in fact SHOULD have back-fired. But the scene that signed me up as a life-time card carrying fan of the Winter Soldier concept was the bit where Steve Rogers spies his old friend and sidekick through the smoke of a horrendous explosion. He calls out his partners old moniker: "Bucky?" Bucky's response is at once harrowing and heart-breaking: "Who the hell is Bucky?" And that was the moment that forever made me a fan and proponent of bringing back this wonderful symbol of a so-called more innocent time.

Bravo, Ed and Steve Epting for such a powerful moment!

Quote Originally Posted by junesdisco View Post
    Man, that moment I think cemented both of them for me. The JMS Thor omnibus was the first Marvel comic I ever read and that one moment--Thor showing his strength, his disapproval for the events of Civil War (to put it lightly) and Tony just being completely miserable and pathetic (I wanted to feed him muffins. Shut up.) made me love both of them instantly.
    Even though Thor isn't my favorite character, that was also the moment I really started liking him. JMS made having a god around something spectacular and magical.

My favorite character is Loki, and JMS' run, with its amazing dialogue and handling of Loki hooked me and didn't let go. It was just so obvious Loki was a very multifaceted and complex villain/antagonist with oceans of depth meant to balance Thor's direct thinking and honesty. The combo he had going for both characters working off and with each other actually helped them shine.

Year of the Dragon themortalfist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Man Without Fear View Post
    That's when I read this scene:

To this day, my favorite single page in all of comics. And with Miller's work, the deal was sealed. Eighteen years later, I'm still a hopeless Daredevil fan.

- Manning
    YES! Daredevil 232 did it for me too. I had a sort of on-again, off-again relationship with Daredevil way back then. But this issue really drove home what I loved about the character: There's a scene in which Captain America, Iron Man and Thor show up and shut down Nuke's rampage. Like snapping a finger. And there's poor Daredevil, outmatched, outgunned and yet ... he's going to give everything for his corner of hell. And the drama all seemed so much more real to me at the time.

I had stopped reading comics for many years and when I slowly returned, the first book I picked up was Daredevil Shadowland and Daredevil 508. And in 508, I think, there's a scene with Captain America, Iron Man and Thor telling Iron Fist and Power Man that they need to tell Matt to stand down from building Shadowland, or else. And it made me think of 232 all over again and why I love Daredevil.
    Trust me. I have a plan. -- Daniel Rand, the Immortal Iron Fist

For marvel, it's kinda always a toss up between Daredevil and X-23. X-23 I didn't even know from the comics, she was just my favorite character in MvC3, then I hunted down the comics she was in and liked her more after reading her mini. I think it was the Smith/Quesada/Mack daredevil run that cemented my love for the blind lawyer.
    Reading: All New X-men, Batman, Cable+X-force, Harley Quinn, Morning Glories, Sex, Sexy Criminals, Uncanny X-men, Walking Dead, X-men
    Like gum? yumyumgum.com

Although he's not really a favourite of mine, the moment I actually thought of Captain America as anything other than a star-spangled propaganda machine was in fact in Daredevil: Born Again. The description of 'a voice that could command gods... and does' and of course 'Loyal to nothing but the Dream' still makes me wish Frank Miller had a really good shot at a Cap series. (I of course mean Classic Miller, not the frothing loon he's regressed into today.)

I have always liked Nightcrawler and his depiction in Age of Apocalypse shows how he can let loose if he ever chooses to:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1938316-head_off_super.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	76.3 KB 
ID:	107863

Year of the Dragon themortalfist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BraveSirRobin View Post
    Although he's not really a favourite of mine, the moment I actually thought of Captain America as anything other than a star-spangled propaganda machine was in fact in Daredevil: Born Again. The description of 'a voice that could command gods... and does' and of course 'Loyal to nothing but the Dream' still makes me wish Frank Miller had a really good shot at a Cap series. (I of course mean Classic Miller, not the frothing loon he's regressed into today.)
    Yes, I had the same reaction back then. I went and re-read the issue after posting this and I was struck by how Mazzucheli drew Cap t be so much larger than the ordinary soldier. And I forget he's supposed to be a bit of a beast. He's a super-soldier after all.
    Trust me. I have a plan. -- Daniel Rand, the Immortal Iron Fist