Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Good Maxie Zeus Stories?

I really enjoyed this character on Batman: The Animated Series (was the initial episode based on his first appearance in the comics?), but there doesn't seem to be much love for him in the comic books. What are some good Maxie Zeus stories?
    Pull List: None. Moving to trade-waiting.

Wasn't Maxie Zeus the guy who ran into a tree trying to escape Arkham when Bane blew the place up? That should tell you how DC writers feel about the guy.
    Free your soul and let it fly....

There's potential for a good story, but as of yet not sure it's been realized.
    Too broke for a pull list.

I was doing some searching, anyone ever read Wonder Woman: Gods of Gotham? It's supposed to have him in it. Is it any good?

Kevin Smith's Cacophony. He's got a significant role in that. But even there, while talking to Deadshot, Joker refers to him as "the lamest boss in the Gotham underworld", and he wound up being the butt of a few more jokes. If you hate Kevin Smith, you'll probably hate the story, but if you're a fan of his, you'll dig it. Probably the best story he ever appeared in was Morrison's Arkham Asylum graphic novel, but he only showed up for one page if memory serves correct.

Quote Originally Posted by hanotsri View Post
    I was doing some searching, anyone ever read Wonder Woman: Gods of Gotham? It's supposed to have him in it. Is it any good?
    I just got it a few weeks ago. It wasn't bad but didn't strike me as a stand out story. Definitely more one for WW fans (heavy Greek Gods presence). Maxie Zeus was in his element of course.
    Also took a chance on Cacophony while exchanging a Christmas gift. Cool story. He's just a victim for the Joker though really.
    The stuff I enjoyed most were his original stories from 1979 which are collected in Don Newton- Tales of the Batman.

I think there is a Batman collection by Don Newton or Gene Colan that has Maxie Zeus story and it's good stuff. I think it's an early appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote2010 View Post
    I think there is a Batman collection by Don Newton or Gene Colan that has Maxie Zeus story and it's good stuff. I think it's an early appearance.
    Yeah, the Tales of the Batman: Don Newton HC has a number of Maxie Zeus stories and they're pretty good.

Yeah, the Tales of the Batman: Don Newton HC has a number of Maxie Zeus stories and they're pretty good.
    Thanks guys (and thanks for chiming in Chris!). Does anyone know if these "Tales of..." and "Legends of the Dark Knight..." artist/writer collections will ever be released in TPB format and not HC (kind of like the Neal Adams collections)?

Maxie Zeus was a great villain and never should have been killed off. Maybe somebody will bring him back in the DCnU--I hope!
    Jim Zimmerman
    Co-moderator, CBR Batman Forum

There was a pretty good story with him in the Legends of the Dark Knight digital comic a few weeks ago, you should check that out.

Quote Originally Posted by DonC View Post
    Wasn't Maxie Zeus the guy who ran into a tree trying to escape Arkham when Bane blew the place up? That should tell you how DC writers feel about the guy.
    I think the reason Maxie was gotten rid of so quickly in Knightfall was because he had already appeared in two different storylines in the comics shortly before that issue came out.

Batman 470 is a good one. Written by Alan Grant and drawn by Norm Breyfogle it has some great moments involving Batman and Robin needing to get through Zeus' defences to reach his home.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    There was a pretty good story with him in the Legends of the Dark Knight digital comic a few weeks ago, you should check that out.
    Maybe I will. What issue?
    Jim Zimmerman
    Co-moderator, CBR Batman Forum

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
    Maybe I will. What issue?
    Interested as well.