Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Some people are ridiculous... smh

I don't think people are upset about the notion that a character cannot evolve but there is a reason Superman has endured over the many decades he had been around. He's a larger than life, brighter than day superhero. But in this movie, they seem to have him all unsure of himself, a drifter, a loner, unsure of where he belongs in the world and as such his attitude and costume reflects the more grim 'adult' feel of the movie. But I think its a mistake on WB's behalf and that they were so desperate to have another superhero success they have essentially modeled the new Superman movie after the Nolan Batman formula.

I'm Right, You're Wrong King Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tra-EL View Post
    I can't believe that just because Superman's tones in his suite are a darker approach in color pallet that it's getting compared to a horror film! Lmao. Did I see that right?
    After the way people screamed hysterically over the Superman Returns costume using wine red, electric blue, and mustard yellow for its color scheme despite the fact that those colors have been used on and off in the comics over the years (to say nothing of darker reds and blues being used in the Fleischer cartoons)? I'm not the tiniest bit surprised those screeches are being directed at the Man of Steel suit. The minute you darken the colors to make it less cartoony and more like a real uniform, you get resistance no matter how sound your reasoning is.

Quote Originally Posted by zryson View Post
    I don't think people are upset about the notion that a character cannot evolve but there is a reason Superman has endured over the many decades he had been around. He's a larger than life, brighter than day superhero. But in this movie, they seem to have him all unsure of himself, a drifter, a loner, unsure of where he belongs in the world and as such his attitude and costume reflects the more grim 'adult' feel of the movie. But I think its a mistake on WB's behalf and that they were so desperate to have another superhero success they have essentially modeled the new Superman movie after the Nolan Batman formula.
    I suspect if comics were as evolved initially as they are now then Superman would be a different prospect altogether.

As far as we're able to tell, he's going to be the first super powered being in a world where they don't yet exist. Of course he'd be unsure of where he belongs in the world. Birthright was an outstanding Superman comic, an unsure Clark Kent but true to the Superman model.

I don't see why that's a problem?

But why do you need to make it more real? Superman is a fantasy based character.

idlewildered I don't know if he's going to be the first superhero, I thought MOS would establish that he isn't the only superhero in the world with rumors swirling that either Reynolds GL will make an appearance or be referred to or the much discussed WW reference/cameo. From my understanding, WB are hoping MOS will be so successful that they will be able to bring JL to the big screen.

King Krypton from my recollection people were upset about SR because of the silly script. Mind you the darker subdued lighting of the film did nothing to improve the movie either.

idlewildered I don't know if he's going to be the first superhero, I thought MOS would establish that he isn't the only superhero in the world with rumors swirling that either Reynolds GL will make an appearance or be referred to or the much discussed WW reference/cameo. From my understanding, WB are hoping MOS will be so successful that they will be able to bring JL to the big screen.
    Following the marvel cameo/reference model isn't the only way for JLA to happen.

I'd far rather Superman was established as the one that kicked off superheroics on earth. But that's just personal preference.

I'm sure DC/Warner, whilst taking some cues from marvel, will want to go about things in a different way. I'd be fairly annoyed if things started to look like a carbon copy of the Avengers model.

Probably why I'm on board with a more in depth look at the motivations of Superman, rather than him just flying around with a shit eating grin fighting a big bad.

More on the synopsis of MOS from Warner Bros France:

The new photo of the very awaited Man Of Steel, showing Superman, the look to trust, and L’ American army in fight formation, a threatening wisp. But are the armed forces they against or with our hero?

Henry Cavill endorses the mythical suit of Superman under the direction of Zach Snyder and alongside Kevin Costner, Russell Crowe and Amy Adams in Laws Lane.

Reminder of the synopsis:

A small boy discovers that it possesses supernatural strengths and that it was not born on the Earth. Later, it is involved himself in a journey in order to understand from which it comes and why it was sent on our planet. But it will have to become a hero if it wants to save the world of the total destruction and embody the hope for all the humanité…

Man Of Steel - In rooms June 19 2013

http://www.warnerbros.fr/

My friends and I have started a podcast and for our first episode we pick apart the MoS trailer and discuss the highs and lows of the other movies. We titled our first episode "Waiting For Superman".

clubofheroes.blogspot.com

It's Lexrules... GET HIM. Lexrules's Avatar

But why do you need to make it more real? Superman is a fantasy based character.
    OH MY GOD...

Someone who actually get's it. PRAISE JESUS....

Last edited by Lexrules; 01-08-2013 at 06:49 AM.

While I don't care for realism being taken too far in comic book movies, I think there still needs to be a relative degree of realism. Otherwise every issue or episode or movie might as well be like Mr. Mxyzptlk causing havok with his powers with Chuck Jones-style zaniness and unreality abound.
    People who chime in on vs. threads with "I don't like Superman at all, but he'd win.", STOP HELPING! Superman doesn't need your damning him with faint praise, thank you.

Superman is a sci-fi character not fantasy. Why do "we" need to make it more real? He isn't more real the world around him is. He's still the same guy who flies and is super strong. But for the movie to work his world needs to be more grounded in reality. Superman despite his great power is still a man. Men have emotions plenty of other emotions that include more than smiling all the time. Like it or not Superman doesn't have to be happy and self confident "all the time".

Infâme et fier de l'ętre Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son View Post
    While I don't care for realism being taken too far in comic book movies, I think there still needs to be a relative degree of realism. Otherwise every issue or episode or movie might as well be like Mr. Mxyzptlk causing havok with his powers with Chuck Jones-style zaniness and unreality abound.
    Yeah, stories, especially in movies, need to have some degree of "reality" behind whatever sci fi/ fantasy/plain old crazyness it has on the surface.
    Just ask Richard Donner, he isn't saying any different. Not only in interviews, but what was the pitch of the movie.
    "You will believe a man can fly". There has to be some level of psychological realism, of pathos. That's what makes Pa Kent's death work in the Donner film. That's what made the scene where Superman rejects the principles of his Kryptonian father to save Lois the strong scene it is.
    "I'm going to paraphrase Nietzsche, when you judge a work, the work judges you."

Quote Originally Posted by Francisco View Post
    But for the movie to work his world needs to be more grounded in reality.
    I think that a Donner-style movie can still work, even today. Meaning something that's not too focused on showing the fearful reactions to an alien with superhuman abilities. Just the same, I don't think Nolan's style is the only way to go with Batman either. There are plenty of successful movies today that are very "out there" and fanciful.
    Last edited by Last Son; 01-08-2013 at 07:13 AM.
    People who chime in on vs. threads with "I don't like Superman at all, but he'd win.", STOP HELPING! Superman doesn't need your damning him with faint praise, thank you.