Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    It is rumored to be based on American Gothic and the stories leading up to Swamp Thing #50 which is why it features all the mystic DC characters.

-M
    Which would of course make it yet another Alan Moore adaptation and if del Toro can really pull it off, it'll probably be the first one I'll want to see.

Quote Originally Posted by JKCarrier View Post
    I think Doom Patrol could work as a tv series.
    Quote Originally Posted by hondobrode View Post
    Doom Patrol movie
    I do as well, infact I remember seeing an ad in the back of a comic for an animated Doom Patrol short to be aired during DC Nation. But haven't seen anything else about it since. As for a movie CGI or live action would work, its too interesting of a property to not do something with it.
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Remember the Herculoids

Default I LIKED the 1975 Doc Savage movie

Arnie as Doc still wouldn't be as bad as this film....

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0072886/

I caught in as a kid on WLVI out of Boston after their Creature Double Feature on a Saturday, and it turned me off Doc for a long long time. I like Doc Savage now, but this was my first exposure to him and it left a bad first impression.

-M
    I saw it as a kid in the theater, and actually liked it; I thought of it as a spoof. I've been meaning to see it again. I read most of the novellas, and didn't try to compare them to the movie. I think I might be the only person other than Ron Ely's mother who liked the film.

Remember the Herculoids

Default Love and Rockets

From the comic books by the Hernandez Bros, animated TV series that is like a mature audience version of Josie and the Pussycats. At the end, the self-titled fictional band (not the other L&R boy band from the 80s) can play covers of cool songs like Jungle Fever and Little Willy. Bohemianism runs amok!

I like the long storyline from Jamie that follows this band as its L.A. characters interact with illegal immigrants from his brother, Gilbert's, creation, the Central American country he calls Palomar. It could also have other mini-shows wrapped into it, a la The Bullwinkle Show. It would be the coolest thing on TV, which I know isn't saying much. I bet it would not be difficult to buy this property.

There's actually been a couple of TV movies of Archie, but I think they used Riverdale in the title rather than Archie.

-M

here's a link to IMDB entry for the movie

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099054/?ref_=fn_al_tt_2

Wow. I had no idea. Thanks for that :)

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by JerryinChicago View Post
    From the comic books by the Hernandez Bros, animated TV series that is like a mature audience version of Josie and the Pussycats. At the end, the self-titled fictional band (not the other L&R boy band from the 80s) can play covers of cool songs like Jungle Fever and Little Willy. Bohemianism runs amok!

I like the long storyline from Jamie that follows this band as its L.A. characters interact with illegal immigrants from his brother, Gilbert's, creation, the Central American country he calls Palomar. It could also have other mini-shows wrapped into it, a la The Bullwinkle Show. It would be the coolest thing on TV, which I know isn't saying much. I bet it would not be difficult to buy this property.
    I'm pretty sure I remember Gilbert saying in an interview that he'd talked to a few people about making a Palomar or Luba-centred movie but couldn't get the backing. This would have been some years ago, I think, so I don't know if that's still something he'd like to do or not.

Can't place the specific story you're referring to here - it isn't Gilbert's "Love and Rockets" is it? I mean the story he once did that was actually titled "Love and Rockets", same as the magazine title. That was interesting as I think it was the first time Gilbert did a major, long story set in the youth culture in contemporary LA or southern California - more or less the same setting as Jaime's L&R stuff. But I don't remember any of Jaime's characters appearing in it.

Remember the Herculoids

Default You're right--it was Gilbert

Quote Originally Posted by berk View Post
    I'm pretty sure I remember Gilbert saying in an interview that he'd talked to a few people about making a Palomar or Luba-centred movie but couldn't get the backing. This would have been some years ago, I think, so I don't know if that's still something he'd like to do or not.

Can't place the specific story you're referring to here - it isn't Gilbert's "Love and Rockets" is it? I mean the story he once did that was actually titled "Love and Rockets", same as the magazine title. That was interesting as I think it was the first time Gilbert did a major, long story set in the youth culture in contemporary LA or southern California - more or less the same setting as Jaime's L&R stuff. But I don't remember any of Jaime's characters appearing in it.
    I was thinking of that long self-titled epic, from vol.1 issues 31-39, written by Gilbert; none of Jamie's characters are in it, you're right, but I could see a mix of the two. I think L&R would make a far better cartoon than a live action movie.

I would love to see Marvel/Disney do a CGI Spider-Ham movie.
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

There are a ton of comic properties out there that I think could make good movies. I got to agree on Etrigan the Demon. There are a few different ways that could work, but I think it might work even better as a movie than a comic.

A somewhat recent comic that just on it's own I think would make a cool movie was the Drax 4-part mini-series written by Keith Giffen that was a prequel to Annihilation series. That story alone I think would make a pretty cool movie.

I'm not sure did someone mention doing a live-action version of Tomb of Dracula? but that would be outstanding!

Quote Originally Posted by earl View Post
    A somewhat recent comic that just on it's own I think would make a cool movie was the Drax 4-part mini-series written by Keith Giffen that was a prequel to Annihilation series. That story alone I think would make a pretty cool movie.
    Is that the one where Drax crashes in a small town and evolves into a skinnier version of himself? I started reading that mini but never got to finish it.

With the GOTG movie coming, what would be more perfect as a tie-in than an adaptation of the 80's Hercules mini-series by Bob Layton. Hercules bestowing the "gift" on Thor anyone ?
    kalorama :Take your reason and logic and begone! We don't cotton to your like 'round here!

Quote Originally Posted by berk View Post
    I saw him speak recently.

Here in Iowa City, of all GodForsaken places.

Basically, he said if someone would pay him to do a movie/tv show, he'd make a movie/tv show. All the folks that contacted him wanted unpaid work provided on spec, and he wasn't willing to the work for potentially no return.
    MarkAndrew at Comics Should Be Good
    All my life, my Great Dream has been to grow a triangular head - Roy Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Director Breck Eisner Exclusive Interview View Post
    Matt Currie: I have to ask you about your upcoming projects, particularly Flash Gordon. Can you tell us anything about where thatís at?

Breck Eisner: Flash Gordon is a project Iíve been pursuing for years. Itís a true passion of mine. Sci-fi is a real passion of mine. And I finally got it set up at Sony and we hired the two writers, [Matt] Sazama and [Burk] Sharpless. Iíve been breaking story with them since I finished post on The Crazies, for the last two months or so. We finished that process; weíre now putting pen to paper, or keys to keyboard, and writing the script. We should have that in a month or two. And I think we have an awesome story. Itís not in any way connected to the camp of the í80′s and itís not connected to the serials of the í50′s. Itís very much looking back to the original Alex Raymond strips; itís imagining that Alex Raymond were to draw the strips today instead of in the í30′s and í40s and what would they be? Itíll be action and adventure; itíll be aggressive and dynamic and intense with a really strong lead character who goes on an interesting personal journey over the course of the movie.

Currie: Have you thought about casting at all yet?

Eisner: Iíve definitely thought about casting, but thereís been no discussion yet about the casting with the studio. Itís still a long process to go in getting them to like the script and to want to commit a lot of money to making a movie. Itís going to be a long process before it sees the screen, but hopefully, weíre on the way.

Currie:And is this going to be in 3D?

Eisner: Yes, this will definitely be a 3D movie. Like I said, when itís the right kind of movie, you want to use the right kind of technology, so we intend to shoot it for 3D.
    Has anyone heard anything more about this project? The interview is dated 2010 have they given up on it? Or is this something that is still happening?

Would love to see the New Gods adapted to multiple movie cartoon arc.

--And I think its day is done, but I always imagined Preacher as an HBO series.
    David Bowie fan

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Reptisaurus! View Post
    I saw him speak recently.

Here in Iowa City, of all GodForsaken places.

Basically, he said if someone would pay him to do a movie/tv show, he'd make a movie/tv show. All the folks that contacted him wanted unpaid work provided on spec, and he wasn't willing to the work for potentially no return.
    Don't blame him. I think I'd rather see him do more comics anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Ood Omega View Post
    Has anyone heard anything more about this project? The interview is dated 2010 have they given up on it? Or is this something that is still happening?
    No, first I heard of it. I like what the guy said about going back to Raymond, but then they always say stuff like that. And in the next breath he said "it’s imagining that Alex Raymond were to draw the strips today instead of in the ’30′s and ’40s" which could mean anything at all, so who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramage View Post
    Would love to see the New Gods adapted to multiple movie cartoon arc.

--And I think its day is done, but I always imagined Preacher as an HBO series.
    It would be interesting. I think several of those I consider the top comics writers around today, including Ennis, might be able to come up with something special if they were given complete creative control over an HBO-type series - Alan Moore, Garth Ennis, Grant Morrison, ...

The New Gods I think could work, but at the same time I very much doubt it ever actually would. They'd screw with the story or the characters like they do in the comics, or get the animation style wrong and make it look like the JLA or Batman cartoons that are so popular and that I find so off-putting visually, with their ridiculously top-heavy superheroes.