Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

I-Spy (though it would need a name change), set in the fifties and done as a film noir. Clooney as King Faraday

Deadman ("Deadman: The Search for the Hook." Maybe better as a 12-episode series, with different guest stars as the people Boston Brand's spirit inhabits.)

Bat Lash (would probably still beard with the Mel Gibson "Maverick" brush, not to mention the fiasco that as Wild wild West)

Ragman (Better suited for TV, maybe)

Enemy Ace (although I see there's some recent Red Baron movie kicking around)

Quote Originally Posted by Roquefort Raider View Post
    I'd love to see a Buck Rogers or Flash Gordon animation show, but one deliberately sticking to the 30s view of the future.
    I like this idea. The Dynamite series showed that Buck Rogers can be funny, and the silly sci-fi from that era has endless possibilities. I'd love to see a fun, humorous, animated series with that character.

Detective Chimp.

Or Batman. I really haven't liked any of them.
    "It's just lines on paper, folks!"

Little Annie Fannie
    "If you live among wolves you have to act like a wolf."

I'd love to see a Buck Rogers or Flash Gordon animation show, but one deliberately sticking to the 30s view of the future. I would use some non-descript bad guys instead of Asians in Buck Rogers, but I'd certainly keep the leather helmets, the riding pants and the quaint flying ships. Updating the material usually leads to things like the Buck Rogers TV show starring Gil Gerard... It wasn't Buck Rogers, it was an attempt to milk the Star Wars fanbase.
    That would be outstanding, seems like there should be more of a market for retro cartoons.

Quote Originally Posted by rasx View Post
    I would love to see a Turok, son of stone movie and maybe a Magnus robot fighter cartoon.
    Me too.
    Last edited by Ood Omega; 10-12-2013 at 06:40 PM.
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Veteran Member

I'd love to see a Buck Rogers or Flash Gordon animation show, but one deliberately sticking to the 30s view of the future. I would use some non-descript bad guys instead of Asians in Buck Rogers, but I'd certainly keep the leather helmets, the riding pants and the quaint flying ships. Updating the material usually leads to things like the Buck Rogers TV show starring Gil Gerard... It wasn't Buck Rogers, it was an attempt to milk the Star Wars fanbase.

Mandrake the magician would also be a pretty cool show if done right; I'd hire real magicians as advisers so that the sleight of hands would make the viewer go "woah!!! How'd he do that???" instead of "Bah! special effects".
    Quote Originally Posted by CromagnonMan View Post
    they need to do a good Conan movie. thought you would have said that RR.
    On the one hand I agree with all those, but on the other, I'm extremely sceptical anyone could ever make a any of them work as movies.

BTW, whatever happened to the Doc Savage movie that was rumoured a few years back? And there was talk of a Red Sonja movie as well, IIRC. I'd like to see a good Kull movie, to wash away the memory of that ridiculous Keven Sorbo one.

I thought the Solomon Kane movie from a year or two ago was pretty good fun: it wasn't Solomon Kane or anything close to him, but enjoyable enough for what it was.

I think Guy Davis' The Marquis has some serious silver screen potential.

And, with the right director (aka NOT Tim Burton), I think someone could pull off an amazing Little Nemo in Slumberland.

Veteran Member

Master of Kung Fu is one that often comes up in regard to this question and seems like a a perfect fit, given the cinematic influences on both the character and, at times, the artwork.

The Metal Men are tailor-made for CGI animation.
    I think Doom Patrol could work as a tv series.
    -JKC-
    Glorianna - Barbarian adventure! New page every Friday!

Looking at small screen possibilities...

Mike Grell's Warlord would make for a great HBO or Starz type series building on the fantasy buzz things like Game of Thrones, Spartacus, and Camelot are getting for those networks.

Queen and Country by Rucka would also make for a good series in the Homeland (on Showtime) vein.

Rip Hunter Time Master could make for an interesting show on a network like SyFy where it could thrive with a smaller audience.

With gothic horror tropes in modern settings being popular, a Werewolf by Night series might find an audience in the current market, as might a Morbius the Living Vampire series.

A B.P.R.D. series spinning off of the Hellboy movies could work too-either animated as the Hellboy animated films were, or live action.

I've always thought that a Phantom Stranger series done in the vein of Touched by an Angel/Supernatural-i.e. the Stranger travelling and interacting with various other people who have stories touching on the supernatural horrors and helping them before moving on to the next episode, could work very well as a television series. Add Tala as a recurring supernatural menace, maybe a recurring Dr. Terrence Thirteen as a supporting character and you could have an interesting series.

Moving to the big screen...

Starlin's Dreadstar would make for an interesting big screen space opera epic.

Ulysses Bloodstone could make a decent action/adventure popcorn movie.

A Killraven movie would also be a great sci-fi action epic.

Camelot 3000 mixing Arthurian legend and sci-fi elemnts would be interesting to see on the big screen as well.

Mike Wieringo and Todd DeZago's Tellos would make a great CGI Pixar type movie.

James Robinson and Paul Smith's Leave it To Chance would make a great YA fantasy movie, either as live action with a CGI dragon or as a full CGI film as well.

I'd second Shaxper's Marquis recommendation as well (I had forgotten about that series but yeah it has silver screen written all over it).

-M
    A lunatic is easily recognized...You can tell him by the liberties he takes with common sense...and by the fact that sooner or later he brings up the Templars.
    -Umberto Eco

Secret Six.
    MarkAndrew at Comics Should Be Good
    All my life, my Great Dream has been to grow a triangular head - Roy Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post

Camelot 3000 mixing Arthurian legend and sci-fi elemnts would be interesting to see on the big screen as well.
    You know, I think this would kill as an HBO or Showtime series. Nice contrast to Game of Thrones.

Master of Kung Fu is the obvious choice for me... but I have no doubt that it would be made as CGI-fueled action flick with Matrix style Kung Fu moves instead of the ennui and John LaCarre elements that it truly needs.

Never understood the deal with Conan. Why not just remake Red Nails, Black Colossus or Iron Shadows in the Moon? The stories are already there... just make one dammit!

Ka-Zar. Savage Land stories would make a great weekly cartoon.

Quote Originally Posted by shaxper View Post
    You know, I think this would kill as an HBO or Showtime series. Nice contrast to Game of Thrones.
    Me 2 C3K is an outstanding series, I even made an Respect Thread for it! Sadly I couldn't find any single issues at the comic shop today still trying to complete my collection.
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison