Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 90
  1. #16
    ..for whom the bell tolls The Frozen Reptile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Gatineau, Quťbec
    Posts
    913

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kymeric View Post
    If you dont enjoy it you probably shouldnt spend money on it.

    I for one have been liking it. The villian and the plan arent something I have read before. I like how superboy is acting around superman. I liked what i read so much i started picking up superman regularly, and even went back and got all of the current volume.

    Seriously, alot of people have a problem with supermans new direction, but keep on buying it. If hes changed too much and you dont like it anymore you should just move on.
    The problem is, for 35 years the Super-Family has been number one for me (easily more than one-third of my collection.) It's really hard to stop buying.
    "Make yourself comfortable, I havenít time to attend to it." - With these words, a legend was born.

  2. #17
    Senior Member doolbnoom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    hell
    Posts
    1,406

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kymeric View Post
    If you dont enjoy it you probably shouldnt spend money on it.

    I for one have been liking it. The villian and the plan arent something I have read before. I like how superboy is acting around superman. I liked what i read so much i started picking up superman regularly, and even went back and got all of the current volume.

    Seriously, alot of people have a problem with supermans new direction, but keep on buying it. If hes changed too much and you dont like it anymore you should just move on.
    true. i agree, stop buying & stop whining.

    anyway- Supes' title overall (before Lobdell too) seems pretty good and has caught my attention as well. don't know when and if i'll add it to my Pull List. i'm not made of money. :( i'll start reading soon. have some other comics 'ahead in line'. LOL
    [There's a place in my mind.The one part that isn't looking for a joke.When laughter breaks down, and humor can't quiet its hunger,the rage gets out]-Harley Quinn

  3. #18
    I'm a Junior Member! Kilgore Trout's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Oakland, Ca.
    Posts
    224

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by doolbnoom View Post
    true. i agree, stop buying & stop whining.
    I did and never looked back...

    Although I suspect the story will read better in a TPB than it does as a monthly...
    I live in America. It's not a country, it's a business.

  4. #19
    Veteran Member Fate's Faith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,371

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
    I did and never looked back...

    Although I suspect the story will read better in a TPB than it does as a monthly...
    So... didn't look back till the TPB? Just doesn't sound so final to me.

  5. #20
    Senior Member ascended's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2,519

    Default

    H'el would be a decent villain if I hadnt grown bored and annoyed with how Lobdell writes the bad-guy. "Oh, I'm all powerful! You're less then scum beneath my boot, and your best attacks do nothing! I'd kill you all with less than a thought but I have errands to run and spent too much time monologuing! Count yourselves lucky I am letting you live, even though your deaths would only take half a second of my time!"

    First Harvest, now H'el. Seriously, it is not working for me. I know Lobdell is trying to build this guy up as a serious threat, but that sort of DragonBall Z monologue crap only serves to make the guy look impotent and stupid when he's taken down a few issues later by a underwhelming dues ex machinca. (Hey, maybe the ending here will be better, but experience has proven that it normally ends that way)

    I suspect I'll like H'el more when and if the next writer uses him. His motives seem interesting and understandable, he's certainly powerful enough to be a kryptonian level threat, Im curious about his extra abilities and where they came from, and I like the differences in personality he is bringing out in the Super-family. And the Supers themselves have been great. Honestly, Superman #16 is the best single issue of the series yet and I love how Clark, Kara, and Kon are reacting to this threat and each other. The only real killjoy (for me) is the threat itself isnt being presented very well.

    Its a pretty thin story to drag out into a crossover, which as someone else said is a problem the industry has in general. But there is enough meat to it for it to work, especially with the League being brought in. I loved Superman #16 and pretty much everything else....except for the way H'el is being written. And that has killed the whole thing for me.

  6. #21
    Optic Blast, Optic Blast B. Kuwanger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    JEEEEAAAN
    Posts
    5,935

    Default

    If this were DBZ H'el would in fact be killing Superman.

    As it is we're getting decent single issues, but nothing that makes me feel like a crossover was the way to kick off this new period for the Super family. Boy and Girl are tools and their writers are bound, and Lobdell has too much on his plate to lead a crossover.

  7. #22
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    205

    Default

    I have to say for the most part the H' El on eart storyline has been underwhelming.

  8. #23

    Default

    The storyline is being dragged out through 3 titles, but it could be worse. Remeber the Triangle issues in the 90's when you had to read everything just to follow everything.

  9. #24
    I'm a Junior Member! Kilgore Trout's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Oakland, Ca.
    Posts
    224

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fate's Faith View Post
    So... didn't look back till the TPB? Just doesn't sound so final to me.
    Yeah, it will never be final but I don't read comics in any regular sense anymore and when I do I'm WAY MORE selective. I didn't even pick up the new ACTION title until it came out in TPB version.

    I've just lost interest with long drawn out stories in a monthly format...
    I live in America. It's not a country, it's a business.

  10. #25
    Re Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    441

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Frozen Reptile View Post
    The problem is, for 35 years the Super-Family has been number one for me (easily more than one-third of my collection.) It's really hard to stop buying.
    I have much the same problem, it's hard to walk away from something I've given so much time and money to. But once I realized that this was a Super-Family I didn't enjoy or want to read about it became a little easier. Not a lot easier, I still wish I could read their stories, but then I thumb through an issue of the H'el arc at my comic store and it gets easier again.

  11. #26
    It's Lexrules... GET HIM. Lexrules's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,827

    Default

    You people who just say quit reading have no clue. You most likely have no love for the character and just read it because its something to do. If you love Superman and have read it as many have you don't just turn it off. The character becomes a part of your life and your heart.

    So please stop saying just don't buy it and walk away because you obviously have no idea what your talking about because you most likely never cared deeply for the character as some do on here.
    Last edited by Lexrules; 01-07-2013 at 08:22 AM.

  12. #27
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,004

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lexrules View Post
    You people who just say quit reading have no clue. You most likely have no love for the character and just read it because its something to do. If you love Superman and have read it as many have you don't just turn it off. The character becomes a part of your life and your heart.

    So please stop saying just don't buy it and walk away because you obviously have no idea what your talking about because you most likely never cared deeply for the character as some do on here.
    I feel for you. It breaks my heart to see what Didio, Johns and the like are doing to my beloved Question (who the fudge reboots a street level character into a cosmic?) but with a character like Superman that isn't much of a problem. Superman has had at least 2 ongoings since 1939 and there's plenty of great content you probably haven't read so read that. Vote with your wallet. If you don't buy this crossover then the editorial will take note and change the creative teams to those who are better. So while you may not buy Superman comics now you'll probably get good Superman comics later. You also have the awesomeness of Action right now to satisify you. Morrison is knocking it out of the park with this last arc. Gonna miss him though (I'll probably drop it).

    As a whole it's better for the industry if you favor creators over characters. The comic industry will never be successful as other industries if finite or original projects don't become more popular. There's room for superhero ongoings but they need to shrink. Letting crappy comics like Superman thrive isn't helping.

  13. #28
    Inf‚me et fier de l'Ítre Auguste Dupin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,105

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lexrules View Post
    You people who just say quit reading have no clue. You most likely have no love for the character and just read it because its something to do. If you love Superman and have read it as many have you don't just turn it off. The character becomes a part of your life and your heart.

    So please stop saying just don't buy it and walk away because you obviously have no idea what your talking about because you most likely never cared deeply for the character as some do on here.
    "You just can't know how it feels to not have your fix.":
    Sorry, I just couldn't resist, I mean, guys, chill out. It's just pretty drawings sold way too expensively for what it is. All you're doing is virtually support a direction that you hate, that's the funny part. If you follow a character despite said character becoming the "opposite" (or so you say anyway) of what you loved in him in the first place, you're not caring for the character, you're buying 3 dollars worth of cheap paper because it has a "S" on it, plain and simple.
    But hey, the commercials at DC are very happy that you guys are always there to give them a little support, even when you think what they're doing is terrible. Of course, that means they will keep doing what you hate (why change something that works?), but I'm sure they're very thankful
    Seriously, you're right, I think I will never get it.

  14. #29
    Blue Boba ABH-1979's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    4,651

    Default

    I wanted to start picking up Superman for Lobdell's run, but I just can't force myself to care about H'el.

    It's too bad, because based on the last issue, I'd love to see what Lobdell might do with a straight up Superman/Luthor story. As it stands now, I'm just waiting to see what happens after H'el.
    DC: Action Comics - Detective Comics - Batman and... - Batman - Justice League
    Marvel: All-New X-Factor

  15. #30
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    The True North, strong and free!
    Posts
    2,061

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lexrules View Post
    You people who just say quit reading have no clue. You most likely have no love for the character and just read it because its something to do. If you love Superman and have read it as many have you don't just turn it off. The character becomes a part of your life and your heart.

    So please stop saying just don't buy it and walk away because you obviously have no idea what your talking about because you most likely never cared deeply for the character as some do on here.
    As hard as it is to "just say no", dissatisfied customers should vote with their wallet instead of supporting things they don't like. But I totally agree with you that nobody should be telling people they don't have a right to complain about their purchases.

    It never ceases to amaze me how so many comic book fans are intolerant of dissent. As you pointed out, fans of the franchise can't just drop their emotional attachments so easily. The easiest solution would be for people to ignore criticisms they don't agree with and accept that people with different tastes aren't going to be satisfied equally by mass produced media designed for wide market appeal.

    I hate Morrison's work. He chased me off DC with Final Crisis, and turned me off Superman with ASS and Superman Nu. I DESPISE Bumbling Pining Clark/ Space Messiah Superman. Thank Zod for Fleischer, Reeves, Byrne and others who put together plenty of content to keep me happy until the pendulum swings back the other way.

    (Next summer, Zod willing.)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •