Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    ..for whom the bell tolls The Frozen Reptile's Avatar

Default I'm just not enjoying H'el on Earth...

As a big Super-family fan (especially Supergirl), I was looking forward to a cross-over in the books, but this story just seems disjointed and I am finding it hard to focus on finishing it. I get it: H'el wants to recreate Krypton. But it seems that we have taken seven books to tell a story that could have been done in three. Oh well, at least the JL should make things more interesting.
    "Make yourself comfortable, I haven’t time to attend to it." - With these words, a legend was born.

BANNED

No one is.

You aren't alone. And in many respects this storyline is representative of a wider-comic industry problem, taking a wafer-thin storyline and then stretching it out over many issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquacatlungfish View Post
    No one is.
    I don't see the point in saying something that is objectively false. There are obviously people who are enjoying this arc. I am.
    People who chime in on vs. threads with "I don't like Superman at all, but he'd win.", STOP HELPING! Superman doesn't need your damning him with faint praise, thank you.

Quite atrocious indeed. Had the potential to be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son View Post
    I don't see the point in saying something that is objectively false. There are obviously people who are enjoying this arc. I am.
    As am I. Been a fan of Supergirl since #1 and started picking up Superman and Superboy just for the crossover. Superboy won't be sticking around after this story wraps up, but I really enjoy Lobdell's work on Superman and am adding it to my pull list. Yes, the story has been decompressed, but for the first time all 3 Supers are interacting with each other, I think they're doing a great job of it.
    Be a fan of the creators, not the characters.

Nothing I've encountered has me disliking the story or its length. I think they've managed to give each member a position within the story that is unique to that character and really gives them something to work with. At this point, I've no idea if H'El can do what he claims, just crazy or is even from Krypton. I like that since I dislike knowing how a story will go before it gets there. Granted I figure they aren't going to be destroying Earth to recreate Krypton but I'm not sure Kara hasn't just killed the sleeping inhabitants of Kandor, including her best friend. That will be interesting for her to deal with. I know Superboy will finally get some much needed things such as a life and home town. Nice that Superman will need the League since I think so many times the individual members seem to so powerful everywhere else but the League book where they all depower so they can team up. But really, I couldn't ask for a better method of bringing these three characters together and love how they get to remain their individual characters instead of mimicking each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquacatlungfish View Post
    No one is.
    I'm enjoying it quite a lot. Certainly more than any of the three titles before the crossover.

I get Supergirl regularly. I like the crossover so far. I will get some of the Superman and Superboy issues, as well. I noticed that Kara is brattier in Superman than in her own book. But, I guess that shows the difference in perspective between the characters.

I'm quite enjoying elements of it -- specifically, I'm enjoying Lobdell's Superman -- but I don't much care for the villain or the overall direction. If this had just been an arc of Lobdell's Superman, I'd have been happy, but as this supposed epic that ties together the franchise I think it sort of fails.

I'd rather have just gotten Lobdell doing his free wheelin' best with Superman, introducing new villains and re-vamped old villains as often as possible. H'El is a fine villain for an arc, don't get me wrong, but there isn't enough content there to keep me interested across, what, 10-12 issues?

But I'm not hating it.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

Enjoying it quite a bit. The Superboy issues are the weakest thus far due to DeFalco's scripts, but Superman and Supergirl have been pretty strong.

It suffers from the safe problem almost all crossovers do, for me; the singular nature of the threat leads boredom and homogenization. One of the 'weapons' of a writer and artist in keeping a reader interested is delivering new concepts and new characters, but when you force them to use pre-existing characters that are being concurrently defined in other books, you take away that tool.

The strongest crossovers have unique pieces or places for the various participants; Final Crisis had separate threats for the DCU (Darkseid), Superman (Mandrakk/Monitors), the Spectre/Question (Cain), the Legion of Super-Heroes (Superboy Prime/Time Trapper), the Rogues (Libra, themselves), etc. DC 1 Million allowed for two separate 'takes' on the overarching story, the creation of an entirely new and weird and wild future, or involvement (tangential or direct) in the modern day storyline of a world falling to pieces. Infinite Crisis had nothing short of 5 separate threats for writers to choose from (Rann/Thanagar War and all that was involved, the OMAC problem, Superboy Prime, The Villain Society, and the insane Spectre).

When it is just one dude, there is still potential for strong character work, which is compelling enough on its own to work, but still you're blunting the potential.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

haven't been on here in ages... rough 2012. anywho, i get Supergirl, but because of all this i'm waiting to get all the "H'el On Earth" issues to read like a trade- if you will. i enjoyed a bit of Supes here and there before Lobdell & Rocafort, but now i think they are doing an even better job!
    [There's a place in my mind.The one part that isn't looking for a joke.When laughter breaks down, and humor can't quiet its hunger,the rage gets out]-Harley Quinn

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by LoneNecromancer View Post
    Enjoying it quite a bit. The Superboy issues are the weakest thus far due to DeFalco's scripts, but Superman and Supergirl have been pretty strong.
    Basically what I was going to say.

If you dont enjoy it you probably shouldnt spend money on it.

I for one have been liking it. The villian and the plan arent something I have read before. I like how superboy is acting around superman. I liked what i read so much i started picking up superman regularly, and even went back and got all of the current volume.

Seriously, alot of people have a problem with supermans new direction, but keep on buying it. If hes changed too much and you dont like it anymore you should just move on.