Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    NEW VALIANT blog is up! Manga4life's Avatar

Default A decision I had to make regarding Archer & Armstrong....

As sad as I am to have to do this I think its time for me to drop Archer & Armstrong. This isn't a decision that comes lightly mind you, the book isn't terrible or anything but I find that I'm not a huge fan of the two main characters and I'm having a hard time embracing the story as a whole. It's well written and illustrated nicely but the story just isn't for me and I promised myself that by issue #5 if I wasn't floored by the book than I would let it go, so that's what I'm doing. Don't get me wrong, if something important happens within the book or if important debuts start popping up for important characters than I will grab an issue here and there, and if some of the solicitations sound really good I will grab those issues too, but as of right now this book (in my opinion) is not nearly as good as the other four Valiant publishes and I'm sadly dropping it for the time being.

Quote Originally Posted by Manga4life View Post
    As sad as I am to have to do this I think its time for me to drop Archer & Armstrong. This isn't a decision that comes lightly mind you, the book isn't terrible or anything but I find that I'm not a huge fan of the two main characters and I'm having a hard time embracing the story as a whole. It's well written and illustrated nicely but the story just isn't for me and I promised myself that by issue #5 if I wasn't floored by the book than I would let it go, so that's what I'm doing. Don't get me wrong, if something important happens within the book or if important debuts start popping up for important characters than I will grab an issue here and there, and if some of the solicitations sound really good I will grab those issues too, but as of right now this book (in my opinion) is not nearly as good as the other four Valiant publishes and I'm sadly dropping it for the time being.
    Wow. I just wouldn't be able to drop this title, especially right now with the return of the eternal warrior and the debut of the new geomancer. AND after finding out that archer is somehow involved with harbinger and maybe even PRS. Not to mention that this book is most likely going to be the one that really explores the secret corners of the valiant universe through the antics of Armstrong. You are braver than me, I just wouldn't be able to do it.

Well, like I said I'll be picking up key issues as they come but I'm not going to be reading it monthly anymore. Whenever a big universe spanning event happens or when a debut or death takes place I will grab an issue, bit as it stands I am not digging the story or the main characters at all.

I don't see why anyone needs to apologize for dropping a book they don't enjoy. You don't like it, you drop it-- no need to defend yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    I don't see why anyone needs to apologize for dropping a book they don't enjoy. You don't like it, you drop it-- no need to defend yourself.
    Agreed. Not every book is for everyone, and we should all agree to disagree when it comes to this medium we are so obsessed with.

All that said...your an idiot...j/k buddy.
    VALIANT, Saga, Chew, Manhattan Projects, Revival, East of West, Locke & Key, Hawkeye, Young Avengers.

Quote Originally Posted by BugsySig View Post
    Agreed. Not every book is for everyone, and we should all agree to disagree when it comes to this medium we are so obsessed with.

Haha. Nice.

I read the first issue (free on ComiXology). Do they bad guys ever stop being 1-dimensional charactures of real world buzz words?

Quote Originally Posted by The Adventurer View Post
    I read the first issue (free on ComiXology). Do they bad guys ever stop being 1-dimensional charactures of real world buzz words?
    The 1% hasn't been seen since issue 1. The main villains of the first arc are really the Archers, while A&A bounce around the globe encountering undead ninja nuns and telepathic Nazi Tibetan monks who are all part of different groups within "The Sect". The villains are wacky, but that is in line with the original BWS run.

The second arc will introduce "The Null", a secret society obsessed with destroying the entire universe in order to return to the pure state that exists as nothingness. Their champion is The Immortal Enemy, a reimagined version of The Eternal Warrior's arch-nemesis from the original VALIANT, and the antithesis to The Geomancers.
    VALIANT, Saga, Chew, Manhattan Projects, Revival, East of West, Locke & Key, Hawkeye, Young Avengers.

It's your time and money. Buy what you like. Strangers on message boards won't affect your life.

http://lordtoede.blogspot Scott M Davis's Avatar

Bought all the #1's, trade waiting on everything else.

The only title that blew me out of the water was Shadowman, it was a relaunch that didn't feel like a re-hash of the original arcs.
    Pull List: Valiant Titles, All New Marvel Now Titles, Popeye Classics, Haunted Horror.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott M Davis View Post
    Bought all the #1's, trade waiting on everything else.

The only title that blew me out of the water was Shadowman, it was a relaunch that didn't feel like a re-hash of the original arcs.
    I would say Bloodshot is also extremely different from the original. The other three more or less follow the same path of the original arcs. BS is far different in a similar way to Shadowman.

BANNED

Don't feel bad. I dropped it with #1. I had just re-read the original series and this doesn't hold a candle to it.

I would say Bloodshot is also extremely different from the original. The other three more or less follow the same path of the original arcs. BS is far different in a similar way to Shadowman.
    That's why Bloodshot and Shadowman are my favorite books coming out of Valiant.
    New Avengers*Unity* Shadowman* RAI* TRANSFORMERS* MILES MORALES

Hey now...... ;)

Like I said, I plan on picking up key issues with stuff such as debuts, deaths, universe shattering events and other such things, but as a whole I won't be buying every issue "just because". I'm just not into either Archer or Armstrong, the supporting characters and the soon to be "big names" looming around the book has been the draw for me and that's cool, but I need to care for the main characters.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelPaytonMZ View Post
    Don't feel bad. I dropped it with #1. I had just re-read the original series and this doesn't hold a candle to it.
    I enjoyed the first issue of the original Archer and Armstrong a lot more the reboot version. I might keep reading it. Tell me, did the series end well or did it crash and burn when Valiant folded?