View Poll Results: Best Ultimate X-Men Run

Voters
51. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Mark Millar

21 41.18%
  • Brian Michael Bendis

9 17.65%
  • Brian K. Vaughan

16 31.37%
  • Robert Kirkman

1 1.96%
  • Aron Coleite

1 1.96%
  • Nick Spencer

3 5.88%
  • Brian Wood

19 37.25%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Best Ultimate X-Men Run

First of all, hello everyone! This is my first post here, and I'm very excited to get into this forum. I've been looking for a place to express my comic opinions for a while now. :)

So what do you think? My favorite is Bendis' run. Personally, I couldn't get into Millar's run at all. There were some pretty cool stories (The Tomorrow People, Return of the King) but it left me wanting. It just seemed so bland, and less character-centric compared to everyone else's runs. Kirkman's run is turning out to be pretty cool; Jean/Phoenix's story is really intense.

Personally, I thought that Bendis felt the pressures of writing a team book. Don't get me wrong he's on of my favourite writers. But he just seemed to rely a lot on his own characters. Such as, bringing in Spider-Man and Daredevil who he was writing both of their books at that time. I thought Mark Millar was great but I thought it was very similar to how Uncanny was at that time. Robert Kirkman I didn't really like, and Nick Spencer had some great issues but the end of his story was just confusing. So I voted for Brian Wood as he is doing revolutionary things in Ultimate Comics: X-Men, so I voted for him.

I understand what you guys are saying about Bendis' run but I have to disagree. Sure it's a little bit of a copout to introduce your two best characters on your first arc, but at the end of the day it was really awesome. Ultimate Spidey is like the most entertaining comic relief ever and this is one of the few actually interesting Wolverine stories I've read like... Ever. Not learning who that girl was that was trying to kill him was perfect.

I LOVE Wood's run, but Millar did it best.

Millar' s run was my favorite followed by BKV, Bendis and then Wood.
    1) Find a bad guy
    2) Be Wolverine
    Bring Back Ultimate Wolverine...again!

I liked Millar's run is my fave, the moment when you realized Wolverine was one of the bad guys most a big wtf moment for me, I do like Woods run so would be interesting to see how it ends

Quote Originally Posted by Two View Post
    Millar's run was what made me interested in comics so I had to vote for him. He had the perfect blend of action and characterisation, in my opinion, and he made what were bad ideas (Beast being transplanted with kangaroo organs? What sense did that make?) palatable. The pacing was perfect and it all felt like a cohesive story, leading up to Return of the King, instead of six random arcs. If I had to choose next, it'd be Bendis then Kirkman, who I thought had good ideas, just executed them terribly. I wasn't really a fan of Vaughan's.
    To be fair, Hank's body isn't exactly human on the outside, so his innards may be even stranger. It's hardly suspending disbelief that the super-strong super-agile mutant would have a physiology that could accept a wider range of mammalian transplants.

And Mark Millar's Ultimate X-Men run remains one of my favorite comics of all time.

On Vacation

While I do love Brian Wood's run so far I still have to give it to Millar. I wonder what Ultimate X-men would look like if Millar was still writing.

I can't believe I'm saying this but I'm gonna have to give it to Bendis. His run was exceptionally fun and he handled the drama well. Beast's death was really heavy. I absolutely adore Wood though.
    Comics are more better.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFerg714 View Post
    I understand what you guys are saying about Bendis' run but I have to disagree. Sure it's a little bit of a copout to introduce your two best characters on your first arc, but at the end of the day it was really awesome. Ultimate Spidey is like the most entertaining comic relief ever and this is one of the few actually interesting Wolverine stories I've read like... Ever. Not learning who that girl was that was trying to kill him was perfect.
    I LIKE Bendis' run. The time where he was writing both ongoings was great, I just wish he didn't have to introduce Spider-Man and Daredevil so soon. And not in the same arc. But hey each to their own. I suppose Millar and Wood would be up their as my favourites followed by Vaughn, Bendis and Spencer.
    Ultimate Comics: Spider-Man, Ultimate Comics: Ultimates, Ultimate Comics: X-Men, Avengers, New Avengers and Superior Spider-Man and All-New X-Men.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderx3000 View Post
    I LIKE Bendis' run. The time where he was writing both ongoings was great, I just wish he didn't have to introduce Spider-Man and Daredevil so soon. And not in the same arc. But hey each to their own. I suppose Millar and Wood would be up their as my favourites followed by Vaughn, Bendis and Spencer.
    Me too. I wish he focused more on the team itself: while I thought the Spidey issues were generally well done, they just weren't about what I wanted to read, the X-Men. That said, Ultimate Dazzler was a gem and Beast'd death had the right impact.
    I adore Millar's run tho, also because he had a fantastic artist in Adam Kubert!

Ok, I have to ask, what is it that makes everyone love Millar's run so much? There were some good points, don't get me wrong, but overall it just seemed lackluster. The art ranged from phenomenal to terrible on a comic-to-comic basis, very few characters actually developed, and I can't even remember most of the stories. And I read them last summer. Overall, the only word I can use is boring.
    Buffy: Season 10~Angel & Faith Vol. 2~Serenity: Leaves on the Wind
    Ultimate: Spider-man~FF~All-New Ultimates
    Forever Evil~Batman~Green Arrow
    Hawkeye~Uncanny X-Men

Ok, I have to ask, what is it that makes everyone love Millar's run so much? There were some good points, don't get me wrong, but overall it just seemed lackluster. The art ranged from phenomenal to terrible on a comic-to-comic basis, very few characters actually developed, and I can't even remember most of the stories. And I read them last summer. Overall, the only word I can use is boring.
    I didn't think it was boring I just thought it was too normal. Typical. Similar to how Uncanny X-Men was at that time.
    Ultimate Comics: Spider-Man, Ultimate Comics: Ultimates, Ultimate Comics: X-Men, Avengers, New Avengers and Superior Spider-Man and All-New X-Men.

Millar' s run was one long epic that culminated in Return of the King. As stated earlier he had the perfect blend of action and character development, and I have to disagree on your opinion of the art, I thought it was phenomenal the entire time.

Specifically for me, I thought that Wolverine was one of the most ruthless versions I had ever read and I loved it. Magneto was truly evil and there was a feeling that Xavier wasn't much better. Boring is probably the last thing I would call Millar's run.
    1) Find a bad guy
    2) Be Wolverine
    Bring Back Ultimate Wolverine...again!

BANNED

I wasn't a huge fan of Millar's UXM but I enjoyed it. I think what slightly spoilt it for me though was that I already knew about some of the major twists, particularly his character choices, so I was sort of unable to feel the awe from what should have been surprises. I thought it was very expertly written. I think Millar's early Ultimate work is some of the industry's best, and I am not surprised Millar's fame rocketed so quickly. Posters assume it's because if his gritty style of writing, featuring massive twists and incredibly layered and wonderfully flawed characters. But I don't think his brilliance come down to the story ideas he has. I think his brilliance comes purely from how ****ing amazing he is at writing, literarily. In terms of writing alone, Millar's early Ultimate work is sensational. UXM and The Ultimates 1 & 2 are a perfect example of truly brilliant writing. He's inspired me immensely as I have attempted to emulate the way he presents his scenes. His 'downtime' is always interesting yet perfectly sized, before a dramatic scene ensues. Without those quite moments, action scenes tend to feel drab and lifeless. I had that problem with Hickman's UC:TU #2 and the way he portrayed the fall of Asgard. Hickman's a great writer, he really is. But he's too concerned about making each issue eventful and exciting to the point where it feels like he's massively edited his story and cut out all the important quiet moments that make the scenes feel loud and engaging. To me, this shows a lack of care for presenting his scenes. Hickman's a great writer but he ain't no Millar.

Sorry. I know this isn't the place to evaluate the best Ultimates writer or to compare Millar to Hickman. I just wanted to state my thoughts on what makes Millar's Ultimate work so utterly phenominal. Nowadays, Millar isn't even half the writer he once was. But regardless of his recent work, Millar has written the best comics the entire comicbook industry has ever witnessed. And his UXM is a very good example of that.