Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I started reading Batwoman because of how much I enjoyed the art when he did the Elegy series from Detective Comics. I would not have picked it up if not for that. Now that I am really liking the character I would probably stay on board if he left for a few issues before I made a decision.

BANNED

The art is beautiful and stunning, but it kept the book in an odd place. It gave it a Vertigo sort of appeal, which separated the book from the main universe. It didn't feel integrated.

Not that this is a bad thing. I'm just pointing out that the book is going to be more like Batgirl without that inkwashed art.

Pretty sure they'll put a top tier artist on this.

Does the art slow the story down or is it just a different way to tell a story? Maybe a less intricate style would allow more plot per issue.

Quote Originally Posted by carabas View Post
    I'd be much more worried about a new writer than a new artist.
    I so agree with this ! I hope to always be a Batwoman fan; I liked Amy even, as artist.
    The writing is great, but I wish we could get more on Bette; she's been in the fridge a long time, no?
    "Mmmmmmm, Namor" - Celebrating Cold Water's Appreciation of All Things Namor

Quote Originally Posted by OberonOsiris View Post
    I so agree with this ! I hope to always be a Batwoman fan; I liked Amy even, as artist.
    The writing is great, but I wish we could get more on Bette; she's been in the fridge a long time, no?
    She's recovering from her injuries and will probably be showing up at the end of this arc. She is definitely hinted at on the cover to 18. The comic will be fine without JHW3's art even though it will probably lose some readers but that group probably already left the first time he did. I enjoy the story and character and I'd probably be more likely to leave over a writer change than an art change since JHW3 is admittedly slow and could only do every other arc before Sandman popped up and as long as he is writing I don't think he'll stay away from art duties forever anyway. I will be interested to see if they get someone other than Trevor McCarthy after this next arc or if they're going to go with him as long as he'll do it. I do hope they can find an artist to stick with for a longer period since JHW3 isn't going to be on rotating arcs for a while.

I'm not the biggest fan of McCarthy's style - he's a good artist and storyteller, but his people look really angular or something, to my eye anyway. I definitely don't mind his artwork, but, IDK, maybe if Dave Stewart stayed on as colorist it wouldn't be such a big departure.

You know another artist who can only draw a few issues a year? Travis Charest. Imagine if he were switch-hitting with JHW3...maybe even just a shorter fill-in arc, like 3 issues.

Quote Originally Posted by SS888 View Post
    I do hope they can find an artist to stick with for a longer period since JHW3 isn't going to be on rotating arcs for a while.
    Yes, that is important for this book. I didn't mind Trevor or Amy, actually. Keeping my fingers crossed. The writer is the most important to me.
    "Mmmmmmm, Namor" - Celebrating Cold Water's Appreciation of All Things Namor

I really dislike McCarthy's art style on other books but have found it enjoyable in Batwoman. I think the book will be fine artwise even if the keep him as the regular artist. I'd be far more concerned if the writer changed to be honest with you.
    Characters come and go, revamped and revisited. But as long as you enjoyed them, remember them and continue to appreciate them, then that character, your hero or heroine, will always exist.

Quote Originally Posted by thewarning View Post
    I'm not the biggest fan of McCarthy's style - he's a good artist and storyteller, but his people look really angular or something, to my eye anyway. I definitely don't mind his artwork, but, IDK, maybe if Dave Stewart stayed on as colorist it wouldn't be such a big departure.
    I agree. I wish Dave Stewart would stay on to color Batwoman instead of only coloring JHW3's art on the book. No offense to Guy Major but I do think getting Stewart to color all of Batwoman's art would help with consistency with the rotating artists but maybe he doesn't have time doing so much color work elsewhere.

The Dominoed Daredoll batGRRRl4ever's Avatar

Well let's see, here's the upcoming Batwoman #17 by JH Williams:

VS Trevor McCarthy's oncoming work starting with Batwoman #18:

Minus Williams penchant for a painted style it looks pretty comparable to me. Frankly for the most part I'm not a fan of Williams style as it's so stylized it actually takes me OUT of the story rather than enhancing it, IMO. Besides, it's good for any comic character to get different artistic interpretations.
    Pull list:
    Batgirl, Inhuman, Justice League Beyond 2.0, Letter 44, She-Hulk, SM/WW, Swamp Thing, Ultimate FF (lol, 5 of my 8 titles all written by SOULE)

I mentioned in another thread how much I had what's going on with Batwoman's neck/shoulders/bust in that cover. Looooooooong.

I mentioned in another thread how much I had what's going on with Batwoman's neck/shoulders/bust in that cover. Looooooooong.
    I figured it was just meant to be more reflective of the bird.
    Upcoming artist or writer? Want somewhere to share your work? Welcome to the Artists and Writers Showcase!!

I love how bat is ready to flap it's wings and take of off her chest. Like be free and on it's own terms. Nice how it reflects this new arc JHW and Blackman talked about.

Agreed. A bit off looking, but still overall quite beautiful.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/