Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default DC Runs Down Most Ordered "JLA" State Variants

Following a marketing move that already made headlines, DC Comics is promoting its 53 variants for "Justice League of America" #1 as a state-by-state contest currently led by Texas.

Full article here.

BANNED

Of course the state that seems to have the most sectionalism pride would order the most variant covers with their flag.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    Of course the state that seems to have the most sectionalism pride would order the most variant covers with their flag.
    I would imagine population has more to do with it.
    "If you can't say anything good about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

More human than human. Johnny P. Sartre's Avatar

I would say it's a mixture of both.
    The 9th Blog
    A Blog made with friends about comics, the 9th art
    Tumblr: Comics! Comics! Comics! ACK!

I wish they'd release the numbers. I'd like to know if there are 100 other people getting the Mississippi or just 10.
    The DC relaunch was successful and was executed in what was most likely the best way it could given restrictions we wouldn't know about. No, your idea wouldn't have worked. Now move on.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    Do you mean seccessionism? (with respect to Texas)

BANNED

I live in Texas. I must say that comic shops are actually as common here as they were everywhere else in the 90s. Most of our shops never closed down when the industry crashed. I'm not sure why exactly, but most of my LCS' have been here for over 15 years.

You can find dozens of shops in the Dallas area. It's just a good business in Texas.

So yeah, we're going to have more variants than everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael P View Post
    With Texas, California, and New York leading, I'd say that definitely has something to do with it.

I just don't get this gimmick. Even if you love your state, doesn't mean you love your flag... even if it was the real, Superman, Batman, etc., Justice League, I wouldn't want to see them hoisting the California flag, because who cares?

I'll be getting this digitally, so I hope I don't have to see every damn flag, especially since the American flag, for the JLA, would be more than sufficient.
    DC: Action Comics - Detective Comics - Batman and... - Batman - Justice League
    Marvel: All-New X-Factor

Quote Originally Posted by Michael P View Post
    Puerto Rico got 4th place I'm pretty sure population has nothing to do with it given how small that island is

Quote Originally Posted by ceroxide View Post
    Puerto Rico got 4th place I'm pretty sure population has nothing to do with it given how small that island is
    Well, it's PR, so they were probably just happy to be included.
    DC: Action Comics - Detective Comics - Batman and... - Batman - Justice League
    Marvel: All-New X-Factor

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DrSimonHurt View Post
    I live in Texas. I must say that comic shops are actually as common here as they were everywhere else in the 90s. Most of our shops never closed down when the industry crashed. I'm not sure why exactly, but most of my LCS' have been here for over 15 years.

You can find dozens of shops in the Dallas area. It's just a good business in Texas.

I lived in Dallas for a couple years, and yeah there multiple options for stores for people living in the more suburban areas.

Quote Originally Posted by DrSimonHurt View Post

Having grown up in Houston and worked in Comic Book stores there I can say it's pretty much the same there. When last I visited in 2005 there were 4 shops within a 10 mile radius of the one I worked at. Texas has always been a big comic market.
    D-Deadman! You killed Deadman!!

Quote Originally Posted by Namtab View Post
    Well, it's PR, so they were probably just happy to be included.
    still, going over there you realize that there's only 4 stores in the whole country. 1 in the west, 1 in the north, 1 in the south and 1 in the north east, you'll randomly find Magic the Gathering shops that have a couple of issues for sale but overall the comic book scene over there is none existent... except when Kenneth Rocafort visits his family, then comic fans are all the rage

Quote Originally Posted by ceroxide View Post
    There are more Puerto Ricans in NY than in Puerto Rico. They just have a lot of pride in their flag.

14 Time Rita's Champion SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Darn ...WV at #43 ? Come on folks...we can't be that low ...
    "Heads up-- If Havok's position in UA #5 really upset you, it's time to drown yourself hobo piss. Seriously, do it. It's the only solution." - Rick Remender

Sucks 200 character limit.