Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Punk Rock Jesus, #6

Sean Murphy's awesome "Punk Rock Jesus" series comes crashing to a close with the appropriate bang in issue #6.

Full article here.

The lava is plan B. BeastieRunner's Avatar

A lot of people have been grinding over the ending but I thought it was perfect for the series.

One thing that would've been great would have been if this came out Christmas week! I'm sure it would've gotten headlines in papers.
    "Thus Spake Dr. Dinosaur, King of Time: Adios Morons!" -- Dr. Dinosaur

Honestly? I was a bit disappointed. The story meandered for a while, and then suddenly rushed ahead.

I also think Murphy's art was below par. Maybe it was the lack of color, but I actually missed Chris' fate the first read through, because it was lost in the over-detailed linework.

*shrug* He's still a good artist. Maybe just a bit overambitious.
    Mario Di Giacomo

I enjoyed it and whilst the end scene certainly was pleasing, i wanted something more. I wasn't over the moon either with the sister reveal, whilst i saw it coming, it annoyed me that all the time was evidence that Chris wasn't Jesus and with all the crazy sh*t going down, that scientist (name escapes me) knew and said nothing.

After seeing all of the praise that issue #6 received, I have to say that I was a bit let down by the ending. Specifically, how Chris died. Just kind of seemed a bit anti-climatic. I thought issue #5 was building towards something much more epic. I still enjoyed the series overall, though.

The first 3 issues are among the best comics i have ever read but 4 and 5 were a bit of a let down. the ending was good but it felt like there was something missing, it didn't have that spark the series did early on.

Generally i am not a fan of unanswered questions in stories, so i was a bit annoyed by the end, and this doesn't really feel like the type of thing to get a sequel.

Quote Originally Posted by mdg1 View Post
    Honestly? I was a bit disappointed. The story meandered for a while, and then suddenly rushed ahead.

I also think Murphy's art was below par. Maybe it was the lack of color, but I actually missed Chris' fate the first read through, because it was lost in the over-detailed linework.

*shrug* He's still a good artist. Maybe just a bit overambitious.
    I liked it but I'm not gonna attack those who didn't, it's all subjective and it was definitely a big increase in pace for the last issue so I get the rushed feeling.

However, you missed Chris' fate? On the splash page centered around... him?
    Currently enjoying: Batman, Detective Comics, American Vampire, Saga, The Wake, Letter 44, The Manhattan Projects, Atomic Robo, East of West, Ghosted, FBP...

Quote Originally Posted by Mesektet View Post
    The first 3 issues are among the best comics i have ever read but 4 and 5 were a bit of a let down. the ending was good but it felt like there was something missing, it didn't have that spark the series did early on.
    I'd amend that to say the first 2 issues of the series were really, really good; but from there I agree with you. It went downhill fast.

I'll admit that I no longer had enough interest to read the last two issues. I skimmed them, reading most of the text; and it ended just about how you'd think it would end after reading the first two issues, sister reveal and all.

This series really couldn't tell who it wanted the protagonist to be, which I think was much of the problem. If the book gets weaker when the title character becomes the focus, there's a problem.

I am not sure what Murphy (an avowed atheist) was going for in the retelling of Rebekah's miracle survival. Perhaps he wanted to leave open the uncertainty of everyone's beliefs.

But as far as the conclusion, I did not read the book as the story of fake Jesus Chris, but rather with Thomas as the protagonist and his journey to redemption. Works quite well that way.

I was satisfied with the ending. Especially the last page! Haha. Overall I thought this series was great. Someone mentioned that the series didn't have a real clear protagonist per se, but after giving it some thought I think I liked that. Makes it less one-sided, I think, which is difficult to do in a comic called "Punk Rock Jesus".

As someone who is a big fan of punk rock and Jesus, I wasn't offended by this series which was cool too. It didn't come across as a "omg look how stupid christianity is!" book, but a valid critique on American religion and its followers wrapped in a very cool story. I actually wish, if anything, that there was more punk rock to the series. It took a while to really dive into the punk rock side of the story, and it didn't last very long.

Still, this was a great series. I loved every bit of it. Great art, deep characters, and a crazy cool story.

Quote Originally Posted by edhopper View Post
    I am not sure what Murphy (an avowed atheist) was going for in the retelling of Rebekah's miracle survival. Perhaps he wanted to leave open the uncertainty of everyone's beliefs.

But as far as the conclusion, I did not read the book as the story of fake Jesus Chris, but rather with Thomas as the protagonist and his journey to redemption. Works quite well that way.
    I agree about "the uncertainty of everyone's beliefs." As an atheist myself, I thought it was Thomas' 'story' more-so. After all, did it not start with him?

Quote Originally Posted by samson3191 View Post
    I was satisfied with the ending. Especially the last page! Haha. Overall I thought this series was great. Someone mentioned that the series didn't have a real clear protagonist per se, but after giving it some thought I think I liked that. Makes it less one-sided, I think, which is difficult to do in a comic called "Punk Rock Jesus".

As someone who is a big fan of punk rock and Jesus, I wasn't offended by this series which was cool too. It didn't come across as a "omg look how stupid christianity is!" book, but a valid critique on American religion and its followers wrapped in a very cool story. I actually wish, if anything, that there was more punk rock to the series. It took a while to really dive into the punk rock side of the story, and it didn't last very long.

Still, this was a great series. I loved every bit of it. Great art, deep characters, and a crazy cool story.
    Me too! Loved this series & characters. So glad it was B & W too. Gave more of a visceral feel when needed- and that was pretty much the whole damn time!
    [There's a place in my mind.The one part that isn't looking for a joke.When laughter breaks down, and humor can't quiet its hunger,the rage gets out]-Harley Quinn

Quote Originally Posted by samson3191 View Post

I think Murphy had an atheist POV in this series, but I agree that his targets were the American brand of fundamentalism, the Media and Corporatism, and a hit at the fanaticism of the IRA thrown in.

neznam Polski i neznam sta je sve ovo, Sweeplyembolo.
    [There's a place in my mind.The one part that isn't looking for a joke.When laughter breaks down, and humor can't quiet its hunger,the rage gets out]-Harley Quinn

Quote Originally Posted by edhopper View Post
    I think Murphy had an atheist POV in this series, but I agree that his targets were the American brand of fundamentalism, the Media and Corporatism, and a hit at the fanaticism of the IRA thrown in.
    i think you've hit on the head. politically- i'm also an Anarchist (wonder what Murphy is) and i don't tolerate being told what to do on all fronts. So, these institutions i would also "attack" in a comic. or in my written word. i don't like the three P's esp.- priests, politicians, & police. but i don't like even my own mother "advising" me or my siblings. i'm a Black Metaller with a Punker's Attitude. punk was my 1st musical love and forever will be.

I heard that they are making a hardcover for the series with some added pages to flesh out some scenes. It will be interesting to see how that might change certain scenes, but I think it finished on a great ending.
    http://blogojett.blogspot.com/

www.capelesscrusader.org

Reads: Batman & Robin, Batman, Walking Dead, Chew, Saga, Prophet, TMNT, Planetoid, Punk Rock Jesus, Revival, Judge Dredd, Bedlam