Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Captain Marvel is very Supermanesque when looked at from the perspective of a very young superhero genre. People always bring up the differences, like how he isn't an alien or how his secret id is a little boy or how his powers are magic based. But before Superman, there was no character who had his specific set of traits: a super strong hero who wears a costume that includes a cape and chest symbol and has a secret identity. All of those traits describe Captain Marvel, which is why National perceived him as infringing on their copyright. Nowadays, there are countless heroes with those same traits that Captain Marvel no longer seems like a rip-off. Those traits have come to be perceived as generic. I wouldn't be surprised if this is part of the reason for Superman's waning popularity, he's retroactively seen as unoriginal and bland. But hey, that's not the character's fault. It's just the unfortunate consequence of being so influential.
    Last edited by Last Son; 01-05-2013 at 06:45 AM.
    People who chime in on vs. threads with "I don't like Superman at all, but he'd win.", STOP HELPING! Superman doesn't need your damning him with faint praise, thank you.

Majestic has all the physical powers (though I don't know to what level) plus a genius intellect. He was known to think up Reed Richards style devices and build them at superspeed.

Supreme's up there in the physical abilities too, with no morals to hold him back.

Plutonian was a reality warper by the end of his series, but he never came off as very durable or as fast as DC characters tend to be.

Sentry's debatable. He started off as a brick with Richards level intelligence and energy manipulation, but lost the smarts. Fans put him equal to, or above the Surfer. His creator said he was on par with Black Bolt, who I never thought of as that high-end save for the voice. For every time the Sentry/Void manhandled characters like the Hulk or Heralds of Galactus or it took a Siege level event to defeat him, a telepath has completely neutralized him by saying "Boo!".

a curious wanderer OBrianTallent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bia9x View Post
    Blue Marvel - a black superman of Marvel, each confront Sentry and hitting him off the ISS (space station), but his durability is a question mark?I saw him bleeding and he has the ability to Healing Factor. Ability to control antimatter !

Icon - My little question?this is one rip-off Blue Marvel!His strength equal to Superman 90s (Classic Superman) in crossover. His durability is a question mark for me, he was also bleeding when fighting Superman.He also Healing Factor. along with the ability to control radiation !

Icon came out cover dated May 1993 and Blue Marvel was cover dated Novemer 2008 just over 15 years after Icon, so hardly making Icon a rip off of Blue Marvel.
    Not all who wander are lost....

Supreme did not fare very well in crossovers though. He and Gladiator fought to a stalemate in a marvel/image crossover.

In the 90s image/Valiant crossover "Deathmate", Supreme was no match for Dr Eclipse and was killed easily.

Last edited by marshal99; 01-05-2013 at 09:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    Icon came out cover dated May 1993 and Blue Marvel was cover dated Novemer 2008 just over 15 years after Icon, so hardly making Icon a rip off of Blue Marvel.
    oh thank you for comments

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son View Post
    Captain Marvel is very Supermanesque when looked at from the perspective of a very young superhero genre. People always bring up the differences, like how he isn't an alien or how his secret id is a little boy or how his powers are magic based. But before Superman, there was no character who had his specific set of traits: a super strong hero who wears a costume that includes a cape and chest symbol and has a secret identity. All of those traits describe Captain Marvel, which is why National perceived him as infringing on their copyright. Nowadays, there are countless heroes with those same traits that Captain Marvel no longer seems like a rip-off. Those traits have come to be perceived as generic. I wouldn't be surprised if this is part of the reason for Superman's waning popularity, he's retroactively seen as unoriginal and bland. But hey, that's not the character's fault. It's just the unfortunate consequence of being so influential.
    Thanks for the contribution, but as far as I know Superman was born earlier than CM, he was present in 1938. Our strength is like Superman, but remote power attack him with thunder, lightning power.He virtually no knowledge of science and technology.He is basically magic. Superman does not have magic, he hated it some of the most powerful version (to my knowledge) he's immune to magic
    Last edited by bia9x; 01-05-2013 at 06:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by G. Wayne View Post
    Majestic has all the physical powers (though I don't know to what level) plus a genius intellect. He was known to think up Reed Richards style devices and build them at superspeed.

Supreme's up there in the physical abilities too, with no morals to hold him back.

Plutonian was a reality warper by the end of his series, but he never came off as very durable or as fast as DC characters tend to be.

Sentry's debatable. He started off as a brick with Richards level intelligence and energy manipulation, but lost the smarts. Fans put him equal to, or above the Surfer. His creator said he was on par with Black Bolt, who I never thought of as that high-end save for the voice. For every time the Sentry/Void manhandled characters like the Hulk or Heralds of Galactus or it took a Siege level event to defeat him, a telepath has completely neutralized him by saying "Boo!".
    Significant contribution, but exactly what you choose? I would go with Gladiator and Plutonian

Quote Originally Posted by bia9x View Post
    Thanks for the contribution, but as far as I know Superman was born earlier than CM, he was present in 1938. Our strength is like Superman, but remote power attack him with thunder, lightning power.He virtually no knowledge of science and technology.He is basically magic. Superman does not have magic, he hated it some of the most powerful version (to my knowledge) he's immune to magic
    Pushing the magic side of Captain Marvel was a late period DC thing, Fawcett's Captain Marvel was never particularly magically inclined except for magic being the source of his transformation. Cap was also a brilliant scientist and at times invented machines and elements with which to combat Sivana.
    Doomed Planet. Desperate Scientists. Last Hope. Kindly Couple.

I would go with Icon, the Plutonian and Gladiator.

Maybe Sentry and Hyperion to a lesser extent.
    Show me a bitter nazi and I'll show you a sour kraut.

Check out my gallery at :http://r-gonz.deviantart.com/

I always felt Galactus origin was very Krypton last survivor like.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote2010 View Post
    I always felt Galactus origin was very Krypton last survivor like.
    Coyote, you are my favorite Superman-fan poster; But I disagree with this. Galactus is like an enity that survived the end of the previous universe not just a planet.

Having said that though I would love to see Kal battle the big purple and blue behemoth LOL

The question is quite hard to answer, because practically every super-hero since Action #1 has either been:

A) a complete rip-off of Superman,

B) an attempt to get as far away from the Superman archetype as possible (which is still indicative of the character's vast influence)

or

C) A deconstructionist version of Superman (i.e. Miracleman and Supreme).

Hence, when it comes to comics and even a lot of manga, all roads eventually lead back to Superman.

IMHO I would have to say the most powerful ones are:

1) Sentry (an absolute joke of which Marvel should be ashamed of!)
    2) Hyperion (a complete, intentional and awesomely well-done Superman ripoff of which Marvel should be quite proud of!)
    3) Mr. Majestic (Superman is stronger, DC has said as much.)
    4) Omni-Man (Incredible)...Super powers = Super Family Dysfunction!
    5) Captain Marvel* (the extreme focus on magic came much later in his characterization)

* Yes he was a complete rip-off of Superman and it's a good thing Fawcett and DC worked it out, because without him, we never get the comic book universe we enjoy today!

6) Wonder Woman (c'mon...she's Superman with tits! Wonderful, gloriously rendered tits!)
    7) Alan Moore's Miracleman (as deconstructionist a vision for Superman as it can get. All I have to say is Miracleman #15. which leads me to...
    8) Kid Miracleman (Superboy-Prime is a Nobel Peace Prize winner compared to this psycho. The kid is nuttier than squirrel shit!)
    9) Thor (yes, Thor in the comic book form, is a Superman rip-off).
    10) Apollo (if you've never read "The Authority", stop reading this forum right now and do yourself a favor. The Doctor alone is worth the damn read!)
    11) The High (A Wildstorm...anarchist, I suppose, right?)
    12) Mighty Mouse (I'm serious...Mighty F'N Mouse. One could cogently make the argument that Mighty Mouse is THE most powerful super-hero EVER created.)
    13) Vartox (do Superman characters themselves count? if so, he's definitely ON the list!)
    14) Gladiator (although the whole "self-confidence, emo" bullshit makes him a puss in my opinion
    15) Count Nefaria (Suprised I haven't seen this guy mentioned here yet!)
    16) Supreme (of...course!)
    17) ICON (Even Superman is no match for Affirmative Action!)
    18) Blue Marvel (Even Superman is no match for...uh...yeah.)

And...am I really gonna be the first to say it?...fine.

19) Goku (yes, he is a Superman rip-off. Don't try to say he isn't. Because he just is.)
    Last edited by rjw524; 10-09-2013 at 02:53 PM.

#19 would say the "Modern" Goku yes.... But the original Goku "Sun Wukong" is from "Journey to the West" and was written in the 16th century

Quote Originally Posted by rjw524 View Post
    13) Vartox (do Superman characters themselves count? if so, he's definitely ON the list!)
    Isn't he a Sean Connery/Zardoz rip-off/homage?
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

Quote Originally Posted by Armageddon View Post
    #19 would say the "Modern" Goku yes.... But the original Goku "Sun Wukong" is from "Journey to the West" and was written in the 16th century
    I did not know this! Thank you, sir!