Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Young Avengers would make for an awesome cartoon. Alas, explicit references to homosexuality or bisexuality are generally considered off-limits in American kiddie shows. The best you can usually get away with are vague jokes or very subtle hints that will fly over most children's heads.

MXAAGVNIEETRO were right The Black Guardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Songbird/Diamondback View Post
    Could we NOT have teenage heroes always having to be legacy/copies of existing heroes? God, it's bad enough the unique ones are dying in Arena, but do we need more teenage versions of heroes we already have?
    These words need to be printed on card stock, in 120pt type, and duct taped across the eyes of everyone working at Marvel and DC.

But... I'm no fan of Young Avengers (especially the newer version) but even they are better than Next Avengers.
    COEXIST | NOEXIST

ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelCipher
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Interesting question which avengers of note do not already have an analogue?
    Black History Month & 29 Days in February

Quote Originally Posted by JaggedFel View Post
    sure disney might be progressive in some areas but kid cartoons and movies are not that area
    It has nothing to do with Disney, that's just broadcasting standards in general. When Dwayne McDuffie was still alive he talked about how he repeatedly tried to identify Richie from Static Shock as gay within the show and the censors refused him every time. It's just something that flat-out isn't allowed in children's animation (in America at least) for some stupid reason.
    Last edited by Free-Man; 01-05-2013 at 08:16 AM.

BUY LOKI: AGENT OF ASGARD Kieran_Frost's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Songbird/Diamondback View Post
    Love that show.
    Me too. It's brilliant. I also love Frasier (by the same people). Cam and Phil are probably my favourite characters; but they are all great, really. Luke has come A LONG way in his comic timing, I find him hilarious now.
    "I don't know how to please you Lord, but I think the fact I try to please you, pleases you."

Americans are so weird. Violence in kids programmes is fine, but relationships outside the nuclear family are taboo? Hahaha.

I don't think Billy and Teddy need to be overtly gay in a cartoon anyhow. Being portrayed as good friends should be enough to captue the gist of the team mechanics.
    Freedom is merely the ability to live without fear of persecution.

Quote Originally Posted by Superman Priime View Post
    We need to start a petition for a Young Avengers cartoon then.
    I don't know, it might be too early still.

Usually teen books/properties like Teen Titans or Young Justice have a nice backlog of history to be able to adapt and while there have been a nice chunk of YA stories already I think there's still a lot more to go before doing a cartoon unless they're bold enough to do original stories with them.

As for the Next Avengers, I really enjoyed the cartoon and I thought it had a good enough basis to continue doing either as a tv series or a comic book. The only problem is that since it's a future time line there's probably less investment from people and it has it's own alternate past as well. Either way I'd definitely welcome a continuation of that property in whichever form.

Yeah u would have to do most originally material especially since a good deal of material is event related.

Quote Originally Posted by klinton View Post
    Americans are so weird. Violence in kids programmes is fine, but relationships outside the nuclear family are taboo?
    I'd argue that the nuclear family is still the de-facto relationship in Western homosexual partnerships and marriages.

Quote Originally Posted by JaggedFel View Post
    Interesting question which avengers of note do not already have an analogue?
    Black Widow?
    Primary pulls: X-Factor, Hawkeye, Young Avengers, Avengers Arena, X-Men: Legacy, Uncanny X-Force, FF, Archer and Armstrong

Quote Originally Posted by Will.S View Post
    Usually teen books/properties like Teen Titans or Young Justice have a nice backlog of history to be able to adapt and while there have been a nice chunk of YA stories already I think there's still a lot more to go before doing a cartoon unless they're bold enough to do original stories with them.
    So far, aside from using individual character's stories, the Young Justice cartoon has only used ONE character/event from the same-titled comic. Harm.

It helps, certainly, but isn't required. Heck, look at Ultimate Spider-Man. That's more "Ultimate Marvel Team Up" half the time than just Spider-Man.

Black Widow?
    There has been two of them, but i doubt that counts.
    "Curse you, Occam's Razor! You have betrayed me!"

Reviewing is a lot like paleontology: the evidence is there, but no one seems to agree on it.

It's funny because before X-23 got cancelled, I know Marjorie Liu said she'd wanted to explore the Avengers Academy concept by having Black Widow become Laura's personal mentor. That could've been cool (though obviously she's teen Wolverine anyway). She's not a character though where I think a teen counterpart would actually come all that easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Majin Gojira View Post
    So far, aside from using individual character's stories, the Young Justice cartoon has only used ONE character/event from the same-titled comic. Harm.

It helps, certainly, but isn't required. Heck, look at Ultimate Spider-Man. That's more "Ultimate Marvel Team Up" half the time than just Spider-Man.
    Well the Young Justice cartoon is a big mish mash of Young Justice/Teen Titans from the comics as well as drawing from other concepts like the Reach from the pre-New 52 Blue Beetle but the history is definitely abundant enough to draw upon if needed.

Ultimate Spider-Man also draws on various comics like the Ultimate Spider-Man/X-Men books on top of some 616 stuff but that series has definitely been more loose with the adaptations and doing it's own thing. I'm sure Young Avengers can work so far as a season or two but beyond that I'm a little iffy on it's prospects but I suppose having a good writing team that's able to come up with new stuff will remedy that.

Yeah much greater need for original content.

Quote Originally Posted by Will.S View Post
    Well the Young Justice cartoon is a big mish mash of Young Justice/Teen Titans from the comics as well as drawing from other concepts like the Reach from the pre-New 52 Blue Beetle but the history is definitely abundant enough to draw upon if needed.

Ultimate Spider-Man also draws on various comics like the Ultimate Spider-Man/X-Men books on top of some 616 stuff but that series has definitely been more loose with the adaptations and doing it's own thing. I'm sure Young Avengers can work so far as a season or two but beyond that I'm a little iffy on it's prospects but I suppose having a good writing team that's able to come up with new stuff will remedy that.
    And then there's the Teen Titans cartoon which took basically the characters and a few seasonal arcs . . . and not much else. It's not a sin for a adaptation to create new material for the characters its using. I mean, otherwise we wouldn't have gotten "Employee of the Month" or Control Freak.

It is a concern, but not an overwhelming one.
    "Curse you, Occam's Razor! You have betrayed me!"

Reviewing is a lot like paleontology: the evidence is there, but no one seems to agree on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Free-Man View Post
    It's funny because before X-23 got cancelled, I know Marjorie Liu said she'd wanted to explore the Avengers Academy concept by having Black Widow become Laura's personal mentor. That could've been cool (though obviously she's teen Wolverine anyway). She's not a character though where I think a teen counterpart would actually come all that easily.
    I was really looking forward to the X-23/Black Widow team-up, and I think it's a pity that it never happened. I still hope that Marvel will give Liu a chance to do a mini about it or something.
    Primary pulls: X-Factor, Hawkeye, Young Avengers, Avengers Arena, X-Men: Legacy, Uncanny X-Force, FF, Archer and Armstrong