Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Remembering Peter Parker: The Importance of the Amazing Spider-Man

Following the release of the final issue of "Amazing Spider-Man," Howard Mackie, Danny Fingeroth, Fabian Nicieza, Mike Zeck and others share memories and anecdotes about Peter Parker and his costumed alter-ego.

Full article here.

I think the reason there isn't more brouhaha over this is because most people are saavy enough to figure out that Peter Parker and Amazing Spider-Man will be back eventually, most likely (and totally coincidentally) around the time the next Amazing Spider-Man movie comes out.
    Eh, Comics is a pretty cool guy...

Completely agree. Although it really shows that Marvel is running out of ideas. Killing Peter not long after Ultimate Peter was killed? It's getting to be embarrassing.

Quote Originally Posted by eclecticmess View Post
    Completely agree. Although it really shows that Marvel is running out of ideas. Killing Peter not long after Ultimate Peter was killed? It's getting to be embarrassing.
    Who is, or you think ought to be, embarrassed about what's being done?
    Be all you can be.

I get so tired of hearing this 'out of ideas' crap.

These memories and such were quite lovely. Let's focus on what the article was.
    Spider-Man from the beginning! Last ish: ASM #15 - Chameleon hires Kraven (first appearance!) to kill Spidey.

Quote Originally Posted by adam.walters View Post
    I get so tired of hearing this 'out of ideas' crap.

These memories and such were quite lovely. Let's focus on what the article was.
    Was kind of cool to read the only character Stan Lee actually tries to keep up with is Spider-Man.
    Be all you can be.

Marriage-Tracer killer Dr. Chaos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SephirothDZX View Post
    I think the reason there isn't more brouhaha over this is because most people are saavy enough to figure out that Peter Parker and Amazing Spider-Man will be back eventually, most likely (and totally coincidentally) around the time the next Amazing Spider-Man movie comes out.
    Agreed.

Death is pretty much a joke at this point. I don't think theres anyone that seriously believes Peter won't be back in a year or so.
    I'm beginning to think that Hell is a comic book forum.

-Gitaroo_Dude

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chaos View Post
    Agreed.

Death is pretty much a joke at this point. I don't think theres anyone that seriously believes Peter won't be back in a year or so.
    Quoted in agreement.

The House of No More Ideas, m I rite fellas?!

After reading the "Remembering Peter Parker" article, I finally realized what it was that bothered me so much about this development. It's not the fact that Peter has been killed off (I firmly believe he will be brought back at some point down the road) but it's the fact that because of the nature of how he died, there will be no acknowledgement in the Marvel Universe of it.

Every major character that has experienced "death" in comics has been fittingly eulogized within his universe by his fellow heroes, friends, etc, and I feel we've been cheated out of that for Peter Parker, easily one of the most important if not the most important character in comics. Every time Steve Rogers died (it's been more than once), it was a lovefest where damn near every Marvel character waxed on about how imprtant he was. Same with Superman and his "death" experience.

I always liked how Spider-Man fit into the Marvel Universe. Although he was an outsider (even when he became an Avenger, there was still a kind of awkwardness to it I liked), his peers recognized his value. It would have been nice to see how characters like Cap, Iron Man, Wolverine, the FF, etc, would react to Peter's passing. I recognize that something like that happened in the Ultimate universe, but I'm talking about the regular Marvel Universe that Spider-Man has inhabited for 50 years. With so much history and continuity to mine, there's some tremendous opportunities for drama.

It's a shame. Perhaps this will come about in some way later on. I hope so.

Quote Originally Posted by eclecticmess View Post
    Oh, Marvel has plenty of ideas.. and they've been recycling most of em for about 30 years. Been there, read that....

I agree with those who figure Peter Parker will be back in charge of his own body by the time the 2nd ASM movie comes out, which is the only reason I'm not totally infuriated with what they've done. In a coherent timeline, Peter would be in his mid-to-late 60s now (if he weren't permanently deader than a doornail for real) and probably would have passed on the public responsibilities to another member of his family.

I really miss the early years of Marvel, where events were a once in a lifetime occurance, and they still believed in continuity. But the House of Ideas is also a mercantile concern that's afraid to advance the characters' lifelines, since that might lead to income loss. Of course the point has been made online that Marvel's readership numbers dropped and have kept dropping since they turned their back on pre-existing continuity. Oh, did I miss Galactus's Nth invasion of Earth on Dec 21st?

I recently found a site that discussed this exact problem in relation to the Fantastic Four (discussing the FF's original storyline run comparing it to Shakespeare and the ideal Great American Novel), and it rang a lot of bells for me. Give it a shot, you might enjoy the discussion.. It brought back a lot of old memories for me, and laid out a 'future' timeline I would have been quite happy to see.

http://zak-site.com/Great-American-Novel/

DC fan since the late 50s, and Marvel fan since Aug 1961

The only thing about this event I do not like is how everyone involved is shoveling the line that this is permanent and for keeps. Even the guys in the article, who should all know better, and, in fact, do. The whole Doc Ock as Peter Parker thing is a story, and it could be a long story, and it a strong enough narrative to effect the title of the book, but it will conclude.

I'm not sure why people are angry about this storyline. This is different than "OMG! They killed Steve Rogers!" only to bring him back 1 year later, or the terrible Fear Itself death of Thor that didn't even last a month, or the death of the Human Torch, where they acknowledged pretty much the same day they had every intention of bringing them back. As opposed to what whitey72 resents, I LIKE that there won't be several months of fake grief and drama and guilt over the 'death' of Spider-Man. He's not dead. Peter Parker and all of his memories are very much alive. Like Doctuh says, this is merely a storyline. Now, we can judge the merits of the payoff of whether or not this ends up being an interesting storyline, but I really don't feel this falls into the cynical "This character DIED!" cycle of one death every six months Marvel has been doing. It's actually more like what Kieron Gillen did in Journey Into Mystery, and that, to me, was one of the most entertaining runs in recent memory. I'm a fairly recent follower of Slott on AMAZING - just the last 8 issues or so, but I kind of trust what he's doing. Let's sit back and enjoy a good story!

I would love to sit back and enjoy the new stories, as they come out... but $7.99 for ASM 700? or $3.99 for a Spider-Man issue 2 times a month? Not to mention the horrible artwork of Ramos (I'm sure he's a great guy, but his artwork throws me out of any story I've read with him) I'm a Spidey-aholic, been collecting Spidey merchandise since the early 70s, but I had to give up the weekly new comic buying after retiring from the Military in 04, because once they shot up over $2 a pop, just 8 or so years ago, it was too much to continue buying. Now look at the cost, and why can't they put an artist who knows anatomy and can make the Spidey cast all look like themselves through out the whole issue (I know, only 20 pages these days) sheesh. So yeah, Price, Crappy artwork (IMHO), keeps me out of the comic shops. I still buy Spidey Merchandise for my rather extremely large Spider-Man collection, but I only buy the comics now, used in cheap lots off ebay or at trade shows, no more than a dollar a piece. I miss the Wednesday weekly comic store runs, but the companies have priced themselves out of my budget range.
    And lets not even talk about the stupid Variant cover crap that just won't stop.

But all in all, I still love all my Spidey stuff, and I supported Marvel for many many years, just not these days when it comes to new issues.

Keep On Thwipin'!!!
    Sam

Quote Originally Posted by SephirothDZX View Post
    OMG!?!?! See Shaggy... you shoulda left my thread ALONE! It's rampant.