Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

i like Mile High, they are one of the few places online who have reasonable overseas shipping rates. I agree the customer service can be bad, i actually threatened him once to report him to my credit card company, i got a quick response after that i can tell you! Most of the time im happy with the service and the stuff i receive though. Its only been wrong about 0.5% of the time, personally speaking.

also, the packing at MHC is superb.

99% of what I read are from collections.
    Yeah, me too. I don't collect. I trade everything I buy to read collections of friends and friends of friends.

The LCS's that shut down in my area had good bargain bin stuff but that's gone now. I've bought some stuff from Ebay and been satisfied with that. I don't really care about condition since I'm only interested in reading cheap runs and not the expensive, collectible stuff.

It was really good to find friends with comics. I read much, much more now and buy very little.
    Last edited by Parch; 01-05-2013 at 10:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Parch View Post
    Yeah, me too. I don't collect. I trade everything I buy to read collections of friends and friends of friends.
    By collections, I meant trade paperbacks, hardcovers and the like. Having friends with funnybooks to read is a good thing though.

Kicking the hornet's nest Jezebel Bond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shaxper View Post
    I'm not fond of the man and his ethics, myself.

And I still have a serious problem with the comic community revering the man because of his ability to buy the treasured collection of a widow's husband for far less than it was worth and then make a business out of selling it, piece by piece. Granted, it was his right to buy it for that price, but the flaunting seriously bothered me.
    It wasn't always rosy for him either. He began selling some of those Edgar Church books for multiples of guide value, which irked off a lot of buyers and other dealers. He may have also had to cut deals, trading some of those prized books in order to get his business up and running...one key book could provide a lot of capital.

And yet...although his buying prices are way below his retail prices, others still line up to sell their collections or overstock to Mile High. I guess the appeal to liquidate a collection fast for some fast cash does appeal to some. Although I've always wondered what his 8,000,000 back issues consist of because many books from popular titles always seem to be out of stock.
    1 Kings 21:23

And of Jezebel also spake the LORD, saying, The dogs shall eat Jezebel by the wall of Jezreel.

A lot of people are desperate for cash these days so there is no shortage of people who are willing to liquidate a collection fast. I see it at the stores sometimes. Some person comes in, desperate for cash, and they take whatever is offered. They might put up a minute or two of protest when they hear how little they are going to get but I guess many people figure something is better than nothing. Plus to do it yourself takes time and a lot of patience. Those seem to be in ever-short supply these days for a great many people.

Quote Originally Posted by Jezebel Bond View Post
    Although I've always wondered what his 8,000,000 back issues consist of because many books from popular titles always seem to be out of stock.
    I would guess between copies of X-Men (1991), X-Force #1 and Spider-Man (McFarlane series) #1 he would have a backstock of a few hundred thousand alone.

-M
    A lunatic is easily recognized...You can tell him by the liberties he takes with common sense...and by the fact that sooner or later he brings up the Templars.
    -Umberto Eco

Quote Originally Posted by Slam_Bradley View Post
    By collections, I meant trade paperbacks, hardcovers and the like.
    Ah, I see. Yeah, I'm mostly dealing with floppies. That's what I get and that's mostly the old stuff they've collected. Old school traders swapping floppies. None of these fancy, new-fangled hardcovers. Although I can definitely appreciate a good omnibus.

Kicking the hornet's nest Jezebel Bond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Parch View Post
    Although I can definitely appreciate a good omnibus.
    Me too. Especially that ASM Omnibus with ASM #39 on the cover.
    1 Kings 21:23

And of Jezebel also spake the LORD, saying, The dogs shall eat Jezebel by the wall of Jezreel.

*choke* Dan B. in the Underworld's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Slam_Bradley View Post
    Having friends
    Today we learned that "friends" is lawyerspeak for "clients."
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!