Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Results 61 to 71 of 71
  1. #61

    Default

    We're fortunate there isn't more rape in the comic universe.

    Realistically speaking, if you're Egghead and you've got the Wasp strapped to a table and an hour to kill while you're waiting for your killer laser to power up, only bad things can follow....

  2. #62
    Junior Member shibori78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    247

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    impersonating someone doesn't constitute rape, just cause you slept someone you mistook for someone else doesn't mean you were raped. Doesn't mean its not a negative or you weren't potentially mislead by said individual but end of the day it was still consensual and MJ was in her right mind not under any influences. Its not rape so people need to stop incorrectly using the term. Rape is an incredibly serious matter, and I'm tired or people making light of it or apply it incorrectly to outlandish science fiction scenarios that half the time would not constitute rape.
    Hmmm.... Interesting points. To address your first point: many states (and some countries, I imagine) do have rape by deception or fraud in their law books. So, there's that . . . .
    I mostly agree with your last sentence. Depending on the subject matter, I refrain from overreacting because I'm reading a work of fiction. EXample: Shakespeare's works are full of rape (both forced and deceptive), but continue to be lauded works.
    Although the pearl clutching and hand-wringing that's going on over supposed rape in the MU does trivialize the violence against women in the real world, it's still worthy of analysis; Just in a rational manner.
    Well, since were throwing in examples, here's a possible "rape by deception" occurance:
    Typhoid Mary (using an image inducer to look like Siryn) seduces and sleeps (rapes?) with a drunk Deadpool
    That's from the mid 90s, BTW
    EDIT: I just read this: http://news.yahoo.com/judge-law-wont...012941200.html
    Rape by deception, according to this judge, applies only if the woman is married.
    Last edited by shibori78; 01-04-2013 at 06:20 AM.

  3. #63
    MXAAGVNIEETRO were right The Black Guardian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    14,245

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Black Cat View Post
    Not me, but my first significant gf was. really not a fan of anything that triggers unpleasant memories.
    No one is a fan of things that trigger unpleasant memories... by definition. If we go that route, then the villain can only savagely tickle the hero (maybe not even that). Any type of violence will trigger those memories.

    And characters should stop calling each other names, too, because it triggers my unpleasant memories of being bullied-- WAH!

    And those sidelong glances? No more of them either. Looks can kill!

    Let's just put all characters in comas.

    Quote Originally Posted by shibori78 View Post
    EDIT: I just read this: http://news.yahoo.com/judge-law-wont...012941200.html
    Rape by deception, according to this judge, applies only if the woman is married.
    Yeah. Apparently, it's just a property crime.
    Last edited by The Black Guardian; 01-04-2013 at 06:42 AM.
    COEXIST | NOEXIST

    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelCipher
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

  4. #64
    Critical Critic nosocialize100's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England.
    Posts
    3,623

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Whirlwind Dinamo View Post
    Marvel have done controversial stories but I think DC may have handled them a lot worse











    You might add Watchmen to that list, although that certainly was done in a way that made it disgusting and vile which is how it should be portrayed.
    I write comic book reviews every Wednesday using pages from each book. Check it: Is It Good?: All the Best Books of the Day Reviewed!

  5. #65
    Hex Magic Nemesis@'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    2,542

    Default

    Look for a good side, yet not show someone being raped.

  6. #66
    Veteran Member Hypestyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    5,669

    Default

    why.. is this thread allowed to continue?!

  7. #67
    Liverpool John Ossie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Liverpool
    Posts
    3,078

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RolandJP View Post
    Rape without showing the consequences is irresponsible.
    100% agreed.

  8. #68
    Junior Member U-Foe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    313

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by USERNAME TAKEN View Post
    there is no rape in Marvel comics today.

    There's ass-rape for all of us every Wednesday when we pay $3.99 for a single issue.

  9. #69

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zen-aku View Post
    My point is is that writers should be allowed to use any story aspect they want, if your that afraid of a specific aspect then go to the kiddie pool, i'd use this argument if he was complaining about the violence as well
    I'm not afraid of it. I'm just weary of a subject that reminds me of someone who was gang raped for the first time at the age of three. I'm reminded of someone who when she tried to run away from home and was eventually caught, her punishment was to watch her younger brother get gang raped. I'm reminded of someone who wasn't able to have actual interactions with people until after years of therapy. That's what I remember every time the damn issue comes up.

    Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    I always felt that super-hero books were "battle books" for boys. Just watch the stuff from the 60s when Stan and Jack were doing them, that's what they essentialy were. Just fun stuff where people are fighting. Now you could say "yea that's not the 60s anymore" but it has not made rape anymore attractive. I think there should not be stuff in super-hero comics that should not be allowed in a Indiana Jones-type adventure flick. Hell go to even harder stuff like Diehard or Aliens, pretty violent, more adult and they still would not have a rape occur there. Why because it's a comic it should be a license to mention or show rape? Take the most violent flick, most of them not even for kids, they don't even have rape in them. What is it in rape that makes it attractive for a writer to want to write about it? What's the point?
    That's pretty much how I feel. I just wanted to say well said.

    Quote Originally Posted by Songbird/Diamondback View Post
    Yeah, you can read what you like. But just know which writers would do the rape thing or not, and know which writers will handle it well or not.
    So... just because you're being mature (on the internet, people can have different opinions? WHAT?), where have you seen rape done successfully? Wow that's an awful question. Where have you seen the subject done appropriately?

    I can't remember it being done well. Sadly the best I've seen is when they give that background to a female character just to give her a reason to fight crime.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Guardian View Post
    No one is a fan of things that trigger unpleasant memories... by definition. If we go that route, then the villain can only savagely tickle the hero (maybe not even that). Any type of violence will trigger those memories.

    And characters should stop calling each other names, too, because it triggers my unpleasant memories of being bullied-- WAH!

    And those sidelong glances? No more of them either. Looks can kill!

    Let's just put all characters in comas.


    Yeah. Apparently, it's just a property crime.
    You're a jerk. And you're using the logical fallacy called straw man to be a jerk. That's very clearly not what I'm saying.

  10. #70
    Senior Member Moriarty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    3,168

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    why.. is this thread allowed to continue?!
    good question.

  11. #71
    Part-Time Sith Joe Acro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Near Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    28,022

    Default

    The initial post and the events it references have been well addressed. If people want to continue the discussion about rape in comics in general, please take it to the Community Forum.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •