Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by WhitOro View Post
    I'm generally soft on CforJ. The art was great, the original idea was neat, the team roster that they had in mind to put together was solid, but in the end it was butchered primary by editorial mandate and needed someone not even to rewrite but at least reread the first issue script. Seriously, how do you miss all the JUSTICE? From James Robinson to the editor to the letterer, somebody MUST have thought that maybe there were a bit too many...
    Yeah, and this is why I always say that just about any comic fan could probably re-write all the speech bubbles/monologue boxes, and create a better book.

If it wouldn't be breaking rules/copy write laws, I'd scan the whole book, erase all the text, and post it to see who could come up with a better story.
    DC: Action Comics - Detective Comics - Batman and... - Batman - Justice League
    Marvel: All-New X-Factor

BANNED

I thought Cry for Justice wasn't bad as long as you didn't notice it was supposed to be a JLA story. As a JLA story, it's awful. As a random heroes banding together story, it was servicable.

JUSTICE!

10char

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    I thought Cry for Justice had a shaky first couple of issues, but after that was really good. I never got all of the hate (and I'm not new to comics in the slightest).

Ironically the one thing that people do seem to like about it - the art - was something I didn't like at all.
    I've fallen into Bizarro World...
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

Quote Originally Posted by Poe1809 View Post
    I thought Cry for Justice wasn't bad as long as you didn't notice it was supposed to be a JLA story. As a JLA story, it's awful. As a random heroes banding together story, it was servicable.
    YYMV on that. The characterization is all over the place, the moral arguments generally make no sense (Hal and Ollie criticizing the League for waiting for someone to commit a crime before acting as opposed to.....I dunno, attack people they assume are going to commit crimes? And then they proceed to head out and.....operate exactly how the League does. Brilliant rebellion there, you two. Also, the ending. You got revenge, Ollie, justice had little to nothing to do with it), if I had never read a comic before I'd have no emotional reaction to the climax since I'd have no idea who Liam Harper was (and even as a comic reader, it had no buildup of her character in the book so it was cheap shock value instead of a well-written emotional moment), the antagonist is a massive Villain Sue (in this story anyway) who only dies at the end when his Plot Armor suddenly disappears, there's quite a few plot holes, etc. If one still likes it, hey that's their opinion, but I don't see how the story would improve in any way if it were a bunch of random people as opposed to DC characters. My disliking it would no longer be on a personal level, but I would still dislike it, a bad story is a bad story.

I thought it was okay, but then I read it all the way through in one sitting and realised how horrible it was. I liked the idea of a more proactive Justice League, out for Justice, but it just felt so bad and what they did Red Arrow and his daughter was just bad

They call me Mr. Pip! the4thpip's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by adamisme View Post
    I thought it was okay, but then I read it all the way through in one sitting and realised how horrible it was. I liked the idea of a more proactive Justice League, out for Justice, but it just felt so bad and what they did Red Arrow and his daughter was just bad
    Isn't justice by its very nature a reactive thing, though?
    My blog.

We struggled against apartheid in South Africa, supported by people the world over, because black people were being blamed and made to suffer for something we could do nothing about; our very skins. It is the same with sexual orientation. It is a given.
    - Desmond Tutu

Getting married? Check http://www.fandgweddings.com/

I liked Cry For Justice. My only beef was with the death of Prometheus.
    Today, I make no demands... no threats! But, one day, I shall voice demands -- and all shall obey them!

Now I read this out of continuity so some things that bothered others probably didn't bother me. I thought it was a fine story. One of those just terrible things that happen. I'm not sure what the reasons were for killing of Liam then maiming Roy since seems to have been the major goals of the series since I don't think anything was different for the rest. Last I read Ollie, he was routinely killing with arrows so thought maybe Longbow Hunters was out of this continuity. Then I think I learned this was after he came back to life but had never lived through Longbow Hunters himself so I'm just confused on that front. But his fellow heroes would have. But all in all, I'd say it was decent enough story that was apparently just written for shock value.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Hiya guy. I just finished "A Cry for Justice". SPOILERS ahead if you havent read it. I really enjoyed this series,
    At least one person enjoyed that series.

Quote Originally Posted by Redruum View Post
    wait, did i do something bad?
    A lot of people don't like it, but if you do that's fine. Nothing wrong with that at all.
    Life looks better in black and white.

Quote Originally Posted by Redruum View Post
    wait, did i do something bad?
    Aawwwww. Look at him. He's so cute!!
    Characters: Elongated Man, Batman, Satellite JLA, Super Buddies, Sandman, Swamp Thing
    Writers: Moore, Gaiman, Cooke, Giffen/DeMatteis, Miller, Dini, Morrison, Waid, Meltzer, McDuffie, Barr, Englehart

Quote Originally Posted by Namtab View Post
    Yeah, and this is why I always say that just about any comic fan could probably re-write all the speech bubbles/monologue boxes, and create a better book.

If it wouldn't be breaking rules/copy write laws, I'd scan the whole book, erase all the text, and post it to see who could come up with a better story.
    Marvel school! Brilliant!

"TWIX"
    "It looks like I have no arm!! Somebody is projecting illusions in my mind"
    "TWIX"
    "You made me believe I lost my granddaughter, I'll make you believe I'm going to use lethal force on you. TWIX!"
    Characters: Elongated Man, Batman, Satellite JLA, Super Buddies, Sandman, Swamp Thing
    Writers: Moore, Gaiman, Cooke, Giffen/DeMatteis, Miller, Dini, Morrison, Waid, Meltzer, McDuffie, Barr, Englehart

I'm on the side of those who like "Cry for Justice" and I love most any stories that take superheroes who usually seem so invincible and expose them to the same kinds of weakness and loss that anyone else must face in life. Fans are sometimes shocked and appalled when this happens, going all the way back to the death of Gwen Stacy (sorry, throwing a Marvel reference in there), but I like how it keeps the characters grounded and human. I also love "Identity Crisis," in which Green Arrow talks about how they wear masks to keep from painting targets on their families' chests, and he consoles Elongated Man after his wife is killed. Then comes CFJ, and suddenly that very same thing has happened to Ollie in spite of his best efforts to keep his family safe. It's harsh that a little child was killed off, but those things happen in real life.

I'll just leave this here...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	091006.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	106.0 KB 
ID:	106836
    "Let me guess. My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie!"