Thread: Fix this!

Default Fix this!

In the ever-evolving landscape of comics there are simply some things that should not have happened. How about a thread where posters retcon some of the more questionable aspects of their beloved characters' sordid histories out of existence and replace them with more intellectually-satisfying ones that attempt to build on the plots of their favourite creators?!

Below is a list of potential starters or choose your own:)
    • The origin of Homo Mermanus;
    • Janet Van Dyne's resemblance to Maria Pym;
    • Rick Jones’ resemblance to Bucky Barnes;
    • The Stranger’s origin;
    • Galactus’s origin;
    • Silver Surfer’s origin (retcon Norrin Radd);
    • Vision’s origin (what caught Ant-Man's eye if his innards weren't those of the Original Human Torch);
    • The origin of Black Knight’s Ebony Blade;
    • Magda’s whereabouts;
    • Thanos’s real link to the Skrulls;
    • Omega the Unknown’s connection to James-Michael Starling;
    • Immortus’s origin;
    • Wolverine’s origin (you know you want to retcon Origins;)
    • Agatha Harkness’s origin (retcon the New Salemites);
    • Jessica Drew’s origin;
    • Selene’s connection to Magma;
    • Beyonder’s origin;
    • The Demon Bear’s connection to the Adversary;
    • Mr. Sinister’s real reason for wanting the Morlocks massacred (why were the Morlocks really "wild card" mutants?);
    • Roughhouse and Bloodsport’s connection to Asgard;
    • The identities of the Twelve;
    • Nightcrawler’s mother;
    • Zaladane’s connection to Polaris;
    • Firebird (Bonita Juarez’s origin);
    • Psylocke’s transformation into an Anglo-Chinese (as originally intended by Chris Claremont);
    • Cable’s origin (retcon Nathan Summers);
    • Ahab’s origin (retcon Rory Campbell);
    • Askani’s identity (retcon Rachel Grey);
    • Gambit’s origin (including parentage);
    • Shatterstar’s origin;
    • Darkhawk’s origin (retcon the Fraternity of Raptors);
    • Bane’s origin;
    • The Crossing (retcon Avengers Forever’s Space Phantoms deus ex machine);
    • Deathcry’s origin;
    • Exodus’s origin;
    • Blink’s origin;
    • Xorn’s origin;
    • Wonder Woman’s origin;
    • Qull’s prophecy (retcon Sinestro Corps War);
    • Boba Fett’s origin (you know you want to;)
    • Spectre and Phantom Stranger’s origin; or
    • Ghost Rider’s origin.

Chaotically Neutral Monty_Cristo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jrnewto View Post
    In the ever-evolving landscape of comics there are simply some things that should not have happened. How about a thread where posters retcon some of the more questionable aspects of their beloved characters' sordid histories out of existence and replace them with more intellectually-satisfying ones that attempt to build on the plots of their favourite creators?!
    disclaimer: i'm an ant-man fan. so this will be an ant-centric post.
    ------------

PART I

. Henry Pym would be from somewhere outside of the U.S. i'd probably pick England.

why? just to diversify the founding avengers a bit more. it also adds some diversity to the accepted grouping of marvel super scientists, as well. overall, i think it'd help Pym stand out a bit more.

. Maria, his first wife, would have been a scientist; specializing in cybernetics. she'd meet Pym (a multi-talented science prodigy specializing in biochemistry) while doing military research. the ant-man helmet would have been an early attempt to transmit intelligence via insects.

why? because i think it works better to have Ultron be an unfinished project of his deceased wife. it just gives Pym a better motive to attempt artificial intelligence; when it's not really his field. he's seeking closure by finishing the project; little expecting how horribly dangerous it all is. plus it makes Maria seem more important to his continuity/better explains why the relationship with Jan was doomed from the start; given Maria's large shadow.

. Pym would have an inherited of mental illness of some sort that he manages with medication and other stress management techniques (like a martial art).

why? because being nutty goes hand-in-hand with mad science. i also want to establish that Pym's mother was institutionalized by his domineering father very early on.

. borrowing from the Earth's Mightiest animated series, i'd also establish Henry as a pacifist; prefering to solve crimes through detection and the scientific method.

why? because it compliments both sides of his powerset. it also sets up quite the contrast when the Yellowjacket identity emerges. it also explains Pym's reluctance to fully commit to the Avengers in the early days. he will be there to support Jan; who would be an extreme action junkie despite her privileged upbringing.
    60% percent of the time, Ant-Man beats Doom every time

[*]Ghost Rider’s origin.[/LIST]
    I figured it out to where it all makes sense and all fits(and I mean everything from Zarathos ,To the Medallion , to the spirits of vengeance ,Zadkiel, Satan,Mephisto) all of it
    The world's Number 1 Ghost Rider Fan!!!!
    Reading
    Mighty Avengers. Uncanny Avengers* Thunderbolts* Justice League(Forever Evil)

PART II

. it would be clear from the start that "Scott Lang" is an engineer/technologist of high caliber; similar to the Ghost or Norbert Ebersol.

. he'd turn to crime primarily because of his daughter's expensive medical condition; working for criminal financier Justin Hammer/using his electrical engineering skill to aid Hammer's costumed mercenaries, during their crimes.

. he's caught at one point and incarcerated (Cassie stays with his sister and Nick Frost - just kidding). mistakenly assuming that Scott will inform on Hammer's operation, Cassie's kidnapping is arranged.

. Scott escapes from prison. he breaks into one of pym's london-based labs. he uses stolen ant-man equipment to get to Hammer/free Cassie (with Pym's aid, towards the end).

. this being a darker period of his life, Hank helps give Scott a second chance. Scott and Cassie (and his savings) are able to relocate to the U.S. Scott (after Hank fills Tony in on some of his background) finds employment at Stark Industries. Cassie's an incredibly street smart kid, so she adapts quite easily.

. at some point, Hank (Yellowjacket) starts leveraging Scott to be his replacement as Ant-Man. they both keep very low profiles as costumed vigilantes. but the relationship is mostly Scott doing arguably illegal favors for Hank because he feels obligated to.

. Scott still goes to work for the Oracle Inc-funded Heroes for Hire. he still aids the Fantastic Four. but, post-Civil War, he has to answer to the british government for his past crimes. they weigh his public heroism and personal aid of other heroes against his past misdeeds. he's exonerated. but he loses custody of his daughter to his ex-wife (believed to be deceased). she ends up being a costumed villainess/gang leader of a costumed villain group (europe's answer to the serpent society or a group like that).

Jan's up next. but i have to take a break. you can also assume that Bill Foster is still Hank's lab partner.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpoff! View Post
    I figured it out to where it all makes sense and all fits(and I mean everything from Zarathos ,To the Medallion , to the spirits of vengeance ,Zadkiel, Satan,Mephisto) all of it
    The biggest problem is even if you managed to bring everything together, you'd need to keep the next writer from retconning it for his own vision.

I think Ghost Rider could be a huge character if Marvel would pick a story and stick with it. No sudden changes of what the Rider is and no sudden changes of who the Rider is bonded to. What the character really needs is consistency.

Immortal Weapon Prince Of Orphans's Avatar

I'd like to hear this. I've actually been trying to figure out a way that could have it all make sense too. His history is a bit of a retcon mess. Hellstrom's too.

Well the point of this thread is to provide the forum for you to get your theory out there so can't wait to hear what you have in mind:)

Quote Originally Posted by Monty_Cristo View Post
    disclaimer: i'm an ant-man fan. so this will be an ant-centric post.
    ------------
    Was thinking more instead of revamping the character's origin instead working with what was originally planted and building from there:)

Was thinking more instead of revamping the character's origin instead working with what was originally planted and building from there:)
    guess i was confused by you writing the following...

•Cable’s origin (retcon Nathan Summers);
    •Ahab’s origin (retcon Rory Campbell);
    •Askani’s identity (retcon Rachel Grey);
    •Gambit’s origin (including parentage);
    •Shatterstar’s origin;

Retcon everything about Wolverine origins save for daken
    I'm so bored with this martyrdom routine, this halo all you X-men love to polish. Self-described soldiers adorned in an "X" with no dedication to what it actually stands for.

Galactus' origin.
    Silver surfer's origin.
    Everything after Warren Ellis' Hellstorm.
    Wolverine's origin.

Gonna have to think about anything else.

guess i was confused by you writing the following...

•Cable’s origin (retcon Nathan Summers);
    Stated online by both Rob Liefeld and Louise Simonson that Nate Summers wasn't their intent!

•Ahab’s origin (retcon Rory Campbell);
    Not the intent of the Simonson's, or Claremont, that he was Rory Campbell, since the character wasn't introduced until after they'd left the titles. That was a Warren Ellis retcon and recall when introduced how Ahab was going grey in a really unusual pattern (suggesting a connection to Rogue that no one else picked up on).

•Askani’s identity (retcon Rachel Grey);
    Claremont stated on the Comixfan forums that he never intended Askani to be Mother Rachel, or a Sisterhood.

•Gambit’s origin (including parentage);
    While Claremont's original intent was Nate/Lefty, this is fairly unworkable now, as is his being the son of Sinister and Scott.

•Shatterstar’s origin;
    Liefeld has stated online he never intended him as related to Longshot.

Quote Originally Posted by PlanetaryDevastation View Post
    Galactus' origin.
    Silver surfer's origin.
    Everything after Warren Ellis' Hellstorm.
    Wolverine's origin.
    How would you rework each of the above?

Stated online by both Rob Liefeld and Louise Simonson that Nate Summers wasn't their intent!.
    Hank Pym's the man in the ant hill was only intended to be a one-off. so i just retconned what came after; using the same tales to astonish character in a different way.

as for Scott Lang, David Michelinie intended Cassie's mother to a costumed villainess (madame masque by all accounts). but i can throw out the rest of my changes.

Hank Pym's the man in the ant hill was only intended to be a one-off. so i just retconned what came after; using the same tales to astonish character in a different way.
    Yeah, but the later stories were written by the same creators, and the whole Maria and Janet connection was intriguing and their induction into the Avengers:)

as for Scott Lang, David Michelinie intended Cassie's mother to a costumed villainess (madame masque by all accounts). but i can throw out the rest of my changes.
    I didn't realise about Madame Masque. Cool. Wondering if that could still be revealed as the case?

The Crossing would be a hell of a one to tackle. Apparently the Great Menace was initially intended as Quoi, the Celestial Messiah!