Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Auguste Dupin View Post
    Pretty sure I stole it from Desaad.
    But yeah, I think Lodbell's over the top way of writing matches well with a character that is quite over the top himself.
    Yeah and like you said even unrefined Lobdell beats Perez, Jurgens, JMS, and even Johns. It's kind of the opposite of someone like Snyder, who has a really good writing style, but really dumb stories.

We've gotten glimpses of how smart Lex is because we've seen his master plans after they come to completion, but [for those who haven't read issue #15 yet], there's a two-page spread where we finally get a glimpse into the scientific genius and madness that defines Lex Luthor.
    I just read Superman #15, and the only part I enjoyed was the Lex-Superman interaction. I felt as if I was watching Mike Rosenbaum's portrayal of Lex there, don't know why. So I'll be following this title just for Lex, if that's the way he's going to be written.
    I can tell you that Clark is going to be going to Lois' housewarming party in an effort to make up for some of the hurt feelings that we've seen so far. And it's not going to go well, but through no fault of Clark's. And no fault of Lois' either. It's just that these things happen when you're a superhero and you're trying to have a personal life at the same time.

And finally, Jimmy is going to get the worst news and the best news that he can possibly imagine. And it's going to get him up off that couch.
    Poor Jimmy, that sounds worrying!! I feel bad for that Lois. Though, Clark needs to realise that Lois' personal life is detached from Clark's, and has been this way for a while. It doesn't revolve around him, and he already is in a relationship with someone else. Both sides of the same guy have been ignored by Lois: She just friend zoned Clark, and doesn't have any kind of romantic feelings for Superman. As for Jimmy and Lois, I would rather not see them, or in the best case: both characters absent in the comic. That's all I'm gonna say. Good for Mr. Lobdell though, that he's telling the stories the way he wants.

*runs off to watch onyx, justice, nemesis, arctic and finale pt. II...is in the mood for some Clark/Lex live action awesomeness*
    Last edited by TomariS; 01-03-2013 at 03:07 PM.

Inf‚me et fier de l'Ítre Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    Yeah and like you said even unrefined Lobdell beats Perez, Jurgens, JMS, and even Johns. It's kind of the opposite of someone like Snyder, who has a really good writing style, but really dumb stories.
    On the other hand, the only one who didn't completely screwed up his Superman run on your list was Johns, and that's not saying much (it had a few good stories, but that's pretty much it). Perez's arc was the combination of two of the most overused Superman tropes (Superman vs elemental monsters, and Evil/Possessed Superman) and the whole thing felt incredibly tired, Jurgens ended up having nothing to say at all and filled in with uninspired villains (seriously, if you need to rip off Predator, put some damn effort into it). As for JMS, well.....only read one issue of his Grounded arc, but man that was hilarious, you can almost hear the guy being like "I. Am.So. Clever" with his Forrest Gump Superman.
    "I'm going to paraphrase Nietzsche, when you judge a work, the work judges you."

BANNED

Yeah that's why I attached "even" to Johns. He wrote some decent stories, but his take on Superman was way too retro for me to take seriously, and it just reaffirms how everyone thinks Superman is outdated and corny.

With Snyder and Diggle getting Superman books, Lobdell's more unrefined style will be in a healthy balance, so that works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Superman punching H'el across the city for intending to harm Superboy. Superman call Superboy a boy and not a clone. Those were some very good moment that said a lot about Superman without any exposition at all.

Loved it!
    I can't believe we're at a point where we're celebrating a writer for writing Superman displaying basic human decency.

Inf‚me et fier de l'Ítre Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    Yeah that's why I attached "even" to Johns. He wrote some decent stories, but his take on Superman was way too retro for me to take seriously, and it just reaffirms how everyone thinks Superman is outdated and corny.

With Snyder and Diggle getting Superman books, Lobdell's more unrefined style will be in a healthy balance, so that works for me.
    Yeah. I finally managed to get my hands on Black Mirror, so I'm not quite as fearful of Snyder coming in, but still, it's nice to have another Scott giving a different type of story.
    "I'm going to paraphrase Nietzsche, when you judge a work, the work judges you."

I have a feeling Lobdell is going to pay homage to Morrison's All-Star Superman with Jimmy Olsen and make him Doomsday -- maybe more like Venom though.
    If not, I have a feeling that Lobdell is going to pay homage to early Jimmy Olsen comics and give him super powers.

Quote Originally Posted by misslane38 View Post
    I can't believe we're at a point where we're celebrating a writer for writing Superman displaying basic human decency.
    You asked for what could be thought of as an expositionless quite moment so I gave what parts I thought showed that. If you have different take on what that would be then fine but that doesn't invalidate what the rest of us see as a good moment.

MTVgeek, and Comic Vine also had interviews with Lobdell.....

http://geek-news.mtv.com/2013/01/03/...l-superman-16/

http://www.comicvine.com/news/interv...onians/145758/

These are different interviews from each other.
    For example, and something I'm excited about was this quote........... "Having said that, the events that take place in "H'el on Earth" in 16 and 17 are going to have impact on the time travel story that takes place in all 4 of the "Superman" titles."

Just thought I'd throw this out here.

:)

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    You asked for what could be thought of as an expositionless quite moment so I gave what parts I thought showed that. If you have different take on what that would be then fine but that doesn't invalidate what the rest of us see as a good moment.
    I didn't say those moments were bad, did I? They just don't impress me very much because Lobdell getting the baseline qualities of Superman down isn't enough to wow me.

Reading issue 15, I was reminded of Wolfman's Superman back in the day, where the Man of Steel suddenly started acting wildly off-character in an (ultimately failed) effort to make the stories more interesting. This take of Superman seems both heavy-handed and mis-characterized. If it wasn't for the costume I wouldn't know what character I was reading about.
    In my opinion is implied in every post. Please make an effort to remember that.

Quote Originally Posted by brik-el View Post
    MTVgeek, and Comic Vine also had interviews with Lobdell.....

http://geek-news.mtv.com/2013/01/03/...l-superman-16/

http://www.comicvine.com/news/interv...onians/145758/

These are different interviews from each other.
    For example, and something I'm excited about was this quote........... "Having said that, the events that take place in "H'el on Earth" in 16 and 17 are going to have impact on the time travel story that takes place in all 4 of the "Superman" titles."

Just thought I'd throw this out here.

:)
    That means Superman, Superboy, Supergirl and Action Comics, it's referring to the Superman line of books, not that there's going to be four Superman solos.

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    Reading issue 15, I was reminded of Wolfman's Superman back in the day, where the Man of Steel suddenly started acting wildly off-character in an (ultimately failed) effort to make the stories more interesting. This take of Superman seems both heavy-handed and mis-characterized. If it wasn't for the costume I wouldn't know what character I was reading about.
    What are you comparing him to when you say he's off-character? Justice League Johns Superman? Action Comics Morrison Superman? Perez or Jurgens Superman?

BANNED

Hot damn, I can't wait to see what this is about.

Quote Originally Posted by misslane38 View Post
    I didn't say those moments were bad, did I? They just don't impress me very much because Lobdell getting the baseline qualities of Superman down isn't enough to wow me.

Well you didn't ask for a moment that we thought would wow you spadifically you just ask for what we thought was a quite moment did you not ;p

I have no idea what wows you personally so you'll have to deal with that on your own.