Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default Newsarama: Superman Gets Through H'el With Some Justice League Help

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/supe...interview.html

I love Lobdell's ideas especially his direction for Luthor's character.

BANNED

Lobdell has done great as far as I'm concerned. He really gets the subtle intricacies of all the character interactions he's dealing with.

I like his idea of Lex. Neil Gaiman was expressing disappointment in the Byrne Lex ,and described the Pre-Crisis Lex as "He was in prison, but they couldn't put his mind in prison." I think that's what Lobdell is running with.

You can't really have him be a criminal AND a white collar scientist/multinationalist, so it'll be interesting to see what he does out of prison.
    Last edited by Mr. Holmes; 01-03-2013 at 11:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    Lobdell has done great as far as I'm concerned. He really gets the subtle intricacies of all the character interactions he's dealing with.
    Subtle? His biggest problem writing the characters, in my view, has been scenes that go along nicely until he drops in a piece of dialogue or narration that is so over the top that it makes the characters look bad (mostly it makes them look like jerks) or inconsistent (saying, doing, or feeling things that don't line up with previous characterization).

I think it's really hard to make Luthor Superman's primary antagonist, but when you write Luthor the way he was written in #15, it becomes easy to believe. Narcissistic, obsessive, evil genius who seems to put everything aside to achieve one singular goal: best Superman. I also liked that Superman is shown to be pretty intelligent and on top of things, too.

Good stuff and can't wait to read the crossover with the JL.

Inf‚me et fier de l'Ítre Auguste Dupin's Avatar

I like his idea of Lex. Neil Gaiman was expressing disappointment in the Byrne Lex ,and described the Pre-Crisis Lex as "He was in prison, but they couldn't put his mind in prison." I think that's what Lobdell is running with.

You can't really have him be a criminal AND a white collar scientist/multinationalist, so it'll be interesting to see what he does out of prison.
    I wouldn't call his characterisation "subtle" by any mean, but he does have good ideas. I especially like his comment about Superman finally meeting a member of his own family, someone finally somewhat like him, and then realizing he has nothing in common with her. It's interesting and......very human actually. But yeah, I like his Luthor too.
    Also....Ocean's Eleven in the Fortress of Solitude. Make it happen. Now.
    "I'm going to paraphrase Nietzsche, when you judge a work, the work judges you."

Why does this guy keep getting bad reviews at Newsarma and IGN? His last few issues on Superman have been absolutely fantastic. Hope DC doesn't do something stupid and fire him.
    DC/Marvel reader. Mostly Superman,Batman,X-Men,Avengers fan...guess I am a fan of most comics.

Credit has to be given to Lobdell and Rocafort for taking up this title. It has suffered since the reboot and has really begun to pick up since this team started. From dull and redundant it's become something enjoyable. Superman himself is more layered, with more challenges. This team got good ideas and I appreciate Lobdell is willing to not write the same thing we have been fed over the years and revisiting events and telling them in a modern manner. To come on this title where it was takes some gumption. Exploring Krypton more, Clark smart and not a naive pushover, the feeling of being isolated but not letting it stop what he has to do, how hard it is trying to juggle a normal life with heroism etc. Kara meeting the JL for the first time and it not being not all perfect. Yeah, I'm keen.
    http://superman-wonderwoman.deviantart.com/ (featuring some of the best superman/wonder woman art )

Man Lobdell give the best interviews ever. They can be so content filled and honest yet give nothing away, and he actually answers the questions he's given!!

I really love what he said about the new views characters like Supergirl and Superboy would have given the new 52's nature. Most writers seem to get weighted down by the preconceptions from the old 52 and forget that these are new characters in many ways.

Ek Vitki Runoz Writu CaptMagellan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Most writers seem to get weighted down by the preconceptions from the old 52 and forget that these are new characters in many ways.
    Many fans do too.
    "The Way to see by Faith, is to shut the Eye of Reason" - Benjamin Franklin

"Religion can never reform mankind because religion is slavery." - R.G. Ingersoll

BANNED

I have to agree with the above in saying that Lobdell is the definition of unsubtle to the point where he literally tells you that Lois Lane is the best woman Clark has ever seen and tells you what great things she's done instead of showing you.

I haven't read 15 yet so maybe that's why I haven't been won over but Lobdell doesn't get how to tell a story without characters telling you the story directly. He gets the tone perfectly but this crossover is awfully boring and comes across as an editorial mandate. He gets some of the characters wrong too as Clark is a creepy stalker and a complete arsehole. He's got some good ideas though and Rocafort is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by hellacre View Post
    Credit has to be given to Lobdell and Rocafort for taking up this title. It has suffered since the reboot and has really begun to pick up since this team started. From dull and redundant it's become something enjoyable. Superman himself is more layered, with more challenges. This team got good ideas and I appreciate Lobdell is willing to not write the same thing we have been fed over the years and revisiting events and telling them in a modern manner. To come on this title where it was takes some gumption. Exploring Krypton more, Clark smart and not a naive pushover, the feeling of being isolated but not letting it stop what he has to do, how hard it is trying to juggle a normal life with heroism etc. Kara meeting the JL for the first time and it not being not all perfect. Yeah, I'm keen.
    I agree with all of the above. However, the execution of Lobdell's ideas is far from perfect. I'd say he gets it about 85 percent right, but misses the mark on the rest by ignoring continuity and characterization. Doing new and exciting things with Superman, which Lobdell is accomplishing for the most part, should not come with annoying side effects like the undermining of Lois Lane's integrity or occasionally writing Superman with a cold and jerk-like attitude towards characters like Kara and Kon.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptMagellan View Post
    Many fans do too.
    I agree, and I think it's unfortunate really because it keeps them from enjoying the characters for what the are.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Auguste Dupin View Post
    I wouldn't call his characterisation "subtle" by any mean, but he does have good ideas. I especially like his comment about Superman finally meeting a member of his own family, someone finally somewhat like him, and then realizing he has nothing in common with her. It's interesting and......very human actually. But yeah, I like his Luthor too.
    Also....Ocean's Eleven in the Fortress of Solitude. Make it happen. Now.
    I'm not talking about the writing itself, which is obviously not subtle, I'm talking about the nuance in the characterization.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    I agree, and I think it's unfortunate really because it keeps them from enjoying the characters for what the are.
    One of the issues I have with Lobdell's writing is that you're never quite sure who the characters are under his pen. He has these ideas that are big, bombastic, and affecting, and then sort of pushes the characters in to fill those roles. Sometimes it feels like it works, like with Lex Luthor. Sometimes it doesn't - I'm sure any of the posters here could give you a pretty good list of when it doesn't. I get the distinct feeling he's the sort of writer who pushes the story plot first and puts established characterization second. That can lead to some pretty interesting stories, but also can leave someone feeling like their immersion is broken when their established view of the character doesn't match the characterization Lobdell writes.