Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by cgh View Post
    My take on ASBAR is: Frank Miller sat there and thought "What if...?" for every character. Like, "What if we had a demigoddess from a female-supremacist society running around? How would she act?" And he gives us a pretty accurate take on it.

Or, "What if Green Lantern really was a not-so-bright hotshot test pilot?"

"What if the Black Canary really was a wild young bartender?"

In that sense, I think ASBAR is one of the most realistic, down to earth takes on the DCU characters ever and that's why I love it. Give people with real personality quirks/neuroses/crazy backgrounds a bunch of superpowers and they sure won't act like noble gods all the time, and might be downright unlikable.
    Are we talking about ASBAR or DKSA? ASBAR was more of a piss take than what you're describing.

I don't dislike ASBAR because of the portrayals, more because nothing really happens plot-wise until the last issue that was published. Jim Lee did a pretty good job channeling his Miller for the panels there, but I'd rather he do that for a more legit story.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    Are we talking about ASBAR or DKSA? ASBAR was more of a piss take than what you're describing.

I don't dislike ASBAR because of the portrayals, more because nothing really happens plot-wise until the last issue that was published. Jim Lee did a pretty good job channeling his Miller for the panels there, but I'd rather he do that for a more legit story.
    I only really liked ASBAR when I read the first 10 issues quickly. It has some serious pacing problems and the series started getting interesting when it was cut off (I really wanted to see Dick meet the Joker). I understand people disliking ASBAR and DKSA because they both have a fair share of problems but it boggles the mind how some people take it completely seriously and complain about how Batman was a psycho when Miller clearly intended it.

Lee's style works on action oriented book where the pace is fast and the tone is fun. ASBAR is his only DC work that actually does this well (except maybe Hush). If you put it on other things people will probably expect the fun tone and people will probably hate it because of expectations (the main example is For Tomorrow).

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post

ASBAR. I realise it was a parody of sorts, but what I said still holds. I actually read similar comments in an interview with Miller once, although I have no idea where it is now. For me at least, these sorts of "heroes" are pretty interesting and of course hilariously entertaining in a lot of ways.

That said, I agree that ASBAR kind of goes nowhere. It just introduces a bunch of people and we watch them do crazy things.
    “Wonder Woman is a lame superhero...She flies around in her invisible jet and her weaponry is a lasso that makes you tell the truth. I just don’t get it.” -- Megan Fox

First Robin,second Batman nightwing1124's Avatar

Well, if your a fan of Jim Lee's art there's a slightly more expensive version of hush called "unwrapped". It shows all the details of Lee's sketches for the hush book and the story is still readable.

I'd say Hush. All Star is pretty good though. If your reading for Jim Lee's art I'd say Hush

Both are really good in their own ways, but I enjoyed Hush more. It was in continuity, and I really enjoyed reading so many different characters.
    The Art is better in ASB&R, and the story is quite over the top(but still fun).

Quote Originally Posted by Aquacatlungfish View Post
    Art wise it's got to be ASBAR. Jim Lee's artwork was off the hook. It's probably his best work ever which is why it took 3 years to put out 10 issues. The artwork in Hush is very good just not ASBAR standards.
    Yeah. I'm a huge Jim Lee fan and I think ASBAR is the best his artwork has ever looked.

As mentioned, he draws more characters (especially villains) and the art is a bit more varied in Hush, and Hush has the benefit of actually being a complete story.

If you're a Jim Lee fan and want them for the art, no question, get them both. And get Absolute Hush!
    Saga, Private Eye, Chew, Umbral, Deadly Class, Pretty Deadly

She-Hulk, Ghost Rider, Loki, Moon Knight, Iron Fist, Daredevil, Punisher, X-Factor

ASBAR really comes together with issue 9 and 10

I understand why some felt the first issues were bad, with little plot development.

There were a lot of great moments, though. Sups running on water. Robin on the milk carton, wutlol! The JLA, esp. Wonder woman's portrayal!!

The rats, the goddamn Batman, Canary erupting on those bar patron's, Batgirl, the Joker, the yellow room, the damn lemonade!!!!

Damn you Jim Lee, finish this!!!!!
    "Calm down, call Batman." - Greg Capullo

The Slender Man vampiric_cannibal's Avatar

ASBAR had promise of becoming awesome and serious. Hush has some boring characters doing boring stuff. ASBAR has the Goddamn Batman. So ASBAR.
    I would like to say for the record that this is the FIRST TIME I've withheld dong when someone was so desperately asking for some.
    Brian C Wood

Peachy Keen Gabe De Los Muertos's Avatar

ASBAR, hands down.
    Formerly DetectiveDupin.
    Tumblr
    Twitter

Hush was lame and predictable.

ASB&R was ridiculous.

Take your pick.
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

Neither are particularly good stories. Hush actually concludes at the end of the book and has something resembling a plot. Not a great plot mind you but a plot none the less. All-star doesn't really have a story but it does have a lot of really great and bizarre moments of crazy.

Lucky for you both seem to have been primarily designed for Jim Lee to draw a lot of stuff so either would be good for his art. All star also has a crazy 8 page fold out spread of the bat cave that's hyper detailed.

I've never seen so many positive comments about ASBAR in one place before. I love this thread!

Personally I'm not a fan of Jim Lee at all, but ASBAR had easily the best art he's ever done. He managed to loosen up and lose the stiffness that normally plagues his work.

It's also brilliant!

Hush is passable.

I think Hush was stronger all around.
    I write comic book reviews every Wednesday using pages from each book. Check it: Is It Good?: All the Best Books of the Day Reviewed!

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    I've never seen so many positive comments about ASBAR in one place before. I love this thread!
    Heh, and all it took was for it to be compared to Hush. Who knew?
    DC: Action Comics - Detective Comics - Batman and... - Batman - Justice League
    Marvel: All-New X-Factor