Default What was "Rahxephon" about?

I read it described on tvtropes as a "reconstruction" of the mecha genre and as an "opposite" of Eva which made me more torn about not liking it.I mean while the art style and designs were cool and detailed but the show itself was so slowish and not much seemed to happen when it came to action.Most of what went on I'm guessing was from the character's relations and talks.It's seems like the sort of thing that would take an anime reviewer (like JesuOtaku) to carefully explain to you what's it about.

I understood how Ayato's city was attacked by aliens with undercover blue blooded agents,he awakens Rahxephon and is taken by Haruka to like 20 yrs in the future or something like that.After that he working for the military and there's some conspiracy that ppl aren't really talking about.I think I only watched like about 11 episodes ,up until the part where Ayato and Quon found like an old ruin at night time.Not understanding classical music took away from the fun too,I guess.In the end I just skipped to the very last like 10 minutes of the last episode which (while having cool imagery) I still didn't understand.

Could someone please explain to me what went on in it?.I've heard that the manga published like after the show is slightly different and is that worth a look as well?.

CBR Dark Tourny Master Robotech Master's Avatar
    On an Abh Battleship, somewhere in the Aptic System

Quote Originally Posted by piloting View Post
    I read it described on tvtropes as a "reconstruction" of the mecha genre and as an "opposite" of Eva which made me more torn about not liking it.I mean while the art style and designs were cool and detailed but the show itself was so slowish and not much seemed to happen when it came to action.Most of what went on I'm guessing was from the character's relations and talks.It's seems like the sort of thing that would take an anime reviewer (like JesuOtaku) to carefully explain to you what's it about.

I understood how Ayato's city was attacked by aliens with undercover blue blooded agents,he awakens Rahxephon and is taken by Haruka to like 20 yrs in the future or something like that.After that he working for the military and there's some conspiracy that ppl aren't really talking about.I think I only watched like about 11 episodes ,up until the part where Ayato and Quon found like an old ruin at night time.Not understanding classical music took away from the fun too,I guess.In the end I just skipped to the very last like 10 minutes of the last episode which (while having cool imagery) I still didn't understand.

Could someone please explain to me what went on in it?.I've heard that the manga published like after the show is slightly different and is that worth a look as well?.
    I never approached Rahxephon with the idea that it was a reconstruction. I tend to think reconstructions of the mecha genre were more along the lines of Gurren Lagann, while Rahxephon was still more of a deconstruction, just with it's own style and focus compared to Evangelion.

Ayato wasn't really taken to the future, it's actually that everything in the giant sphere moved at a slower pace in time from the rest of the world, so something like 20 years had passed by on the outside. Haruka is revealed to have been a former resident of the Sphere and was his girlfriend, but she got out and grew up while he remained behind. I forget a lot of the little details, but I remember that the brunette in the yellow dress is some kind of abstract entity that is borrowing Haruka's form from his broken memories or some such: i.e., her form is what Haruka looked like when she was 17 and met Ayato.
    "It's your parting gift. In that it will part you; part of you over here, part of you over there, part of you way over there, staining the wall!" Lord Shen