View Poll Results: Who is the Best STAR WARS Director?!

Voters
19. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Irvin Kershner (Empire Strikes Back)

16 84.21%
  • Richard Marquand (Return Of The Jedi)

3 15.79%
  • George Lucas (A New Hope, Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones, Revenge of the Sith)

0 0%
  • Dave Filoni (3D CGI animated series)

0 0%

Default Best Star Wars Director?!

Just wanted to see who people thought is the best director to work on Star Wars. To me the obvious answer is Kershner but not everybody feels this way. So just wanted to make a place where people could express who they think is the best Star Wars director.
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

I guess Kirshner. I could give it to Lucas for pre-Greedo-shot-first "A New Hope" but the prequels killed him as a choice in this poll. I did enjoy "Return of the Jedi" too. Honestly, are 1977 "A New Hope" Lucas and current Lucas even the same director anymore? I dunno.
    "There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and some day, they will. And that's how Sue Cs it."- Sue Sylvester, "Glee"

In the Evil Force of Evil Chiasm's Avatar

This is a serious question?

Kershner i guess.

Well, for being honest i don't really think that he performed a lot better than Marquand. It's just that ESB is a more well written and interesting movie than ROJ.

But as directing go, they both did a good job.

MXAAGVNIEETRO were right The Black Guardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Green Condom View Post
    Kershner i guess.

Well, for being honest i don't really think that he performed a lot better than Marquand. It's just that ESB is a more well written and interesting movie than ROJ.

But as directing go, they both did a good job.
    Pretty much, this.
    COEXIST | NOEXIST

ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelCipher
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Marked for Redemption David Walton's Avatar

Marquand nailed the final battle sequence between Luke and Vader in the Death Star.
    "I came to the conclusion that the optimist thought everything good except the pessimist, and the pessimist thought everything bad, except himself." -- G.K. Chesterton

Honestly I almost want to vote for Marquand simply because ROTJ was my favorite Star Wars movie in my childhood.
    Eh, Comics is a pretty cool guy...

Marked for Redemption David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SephirothDZX View Post
    Honestly I almost want to vote for Marquand simply because ROTJ was my favorite Star Wars movie in my childhood.
    In spite of all its flaws, ROTJ was mine, too. They closed out the Luke/Vader relationship nicely, and that counts for something.

Traditionally it's much easier to make the second act look good, because you're increasing the tension. It's resolving that tension in a satifsying way that's difficult. Plenty of movies out there where the third act is the problem.
    "I came to the conclusion that the optimist thought everything good except the pessimist, and the pessimist thought everything bad, except himself." -- G.K. Chesterton

Irvin hands down. I used to like ROTJ better when I was young, but after re-watching the films later in life I realized it was really only because the good guys won in that instead of the overall quality of the film.

Quote Originally Posted by Romero View Post
    I guess Kirshner. I could give it to Lucas for pre-Greedo-shot-first "A New Hope" but the prequels killed him as a choice in this poll. I did enjoy "Return of the Jedi" too. Honestly, are 1977 "A New Hope" Lucas and current Lucas even the same director anymore? I dunno.
    Why was the version where Han shot first superior? I mean I know why people prefer that version, but I'm talking from a purely directorial standpoint.
    Last edited by Surtur; 01-04-2013 at 04:06 PM.
    A woman can move a lot faster with her skirt up than a man can with his pants down.